Maltese Citizenship by Descent - How long have you been waiting?

Hi malti89

In regard to this,

“I’m not sure if your father was born in Malta or just has his citizenship like me, but if he was born in Malta (depending on when you were born) your application should be instant as mine was (being your birth right).”

Yes my father is born a Maltese. My year of birth is 1984. Any idea if this might guarantee a similar case as your application, i.e instant citizenship?

Thank you

Hi,

I would think it would be exactly the same type of case as me. My birthdate is May 1989. So I would think if you go to Identity Malta with all your information on previous generations (I believe they need two consecutive generations born in Malta - so father and grandfather)

They did change the rules for people born after August 1989. I’m not exactly how it differs but my brother (who was born in 2001) received his citizenship instantly when I applied for mine I did his too.

So our cases sound the same so I think it should be no problem.

Best of luck!

Thank you. I will keep you posted on how it goes once I go Malta in December.

Regards,

I am shocked at how many people are in this limbo.

Myself I am 2 years 1 month and waiting for joint citizenship.
Half Maltese from maternal lineage(mother and grandparents) so the application is supported by descendancy with all the required documentation produced, submitted and sent off for rubber stamping in Malta. Has been a complete communication blackout since. Getting absolutely nowhere with the Maltese consulate or officials back in Malta who stoutly refuse to comment on individual applications and then make and break promises to investigate and get back to you. Have grave misgivings that they may have lost/mishandled my application in this protracted timespan when along the course of my enquiries they requested I effectively resubmit information and then sent me a paternal form to fill in!

Immensely infuriating process and I feel and share people's frustrations.

Yes, it's absolutely frustrating trying to deal with the Maltese officials who don't respond to anything at all.

I'm living in the EU, applied in April 2017, have been waiting 19 months now and still no word. If I have to wait 2 and a half years like some people have I won't have the citizenship before Brexit, so I don't know where that will leave me. Argh!

Mari_aa :

Yes, it's absolutely frustrating trying to deal with the Maltese officials who don't respond to anything at all.

I'm living in the EU, applied in April 2017, have been waiting 19 months now and still no word. If I have to wait 2 and a half years like some people have I won't have the citizenship before Brexit, so I don't know where that will leave me. Argh!

I just thought I would post a follow-up on this in case it's useful to anyone who has applied on the basis of having grandparents & great-grandparents born in Malta, - Form K.

I contacted the High Commission in London a few days ago by phone (important) to follow up on my application since it was taking so long. I received a reply from Malta today saying that my application would be withdrawn in less than 2 months, by January 31, if my dad doesn't apply in that time with a Form A.

As I have already been waiting 19 months and paid some £200 I am really angry to receive such a short deadline! And I do not think they would have let me know at all if I had not requested that the High Commission in London follow up on the application for me.

@Mar_aa

thanks for that information.
offers some insight as to why, without explanation, they sent me the paternal form to fill in(which is completely irrelevant in my case anyhow).

I smell a rat. By their own terms - Form K should be more than sufficient and fulfils the eligibility criteria.

I will be chasing this up immediately with the Maltese High Commission in London. I think waiting 26 months I've been more than patient. Somehow I suspect if my application had been via the 'buy-a-passport ' IIP scheme I would of been fast tracked to the front of the line.

Am starting to think this is all part of the initiation. It's like they are begging for me to jump on a plane to Malta and show them my Maltese side  :mad: