Retiring to Vilcamba

My husband and I are considering retiring to
Vilcamba or area within the next 3 to 5 years and are doing a lot of research and felt expat.com would be a great help to us.

Do lots of research and stay here for a few months before making a final decision.  Sometimes, that's not even enough to make a life long decision.

SheWota wrote:

My husband and I are considering retiring to
Vilcamba or area within the next 3 to 5 years and are doing a lot of research and felt expat.com would be a great help to us.

thanks for your reply.  How long have you been in Ecuador?  And where in Ecuador are you?  We are looking at Vilcabamba.  We are hoping to connect with someone who has recently(within the last 2 years) who has made the move, and hope for communication with said person in hopes of some advice and such.  Thanks.

Hi SheWota,

I have created a new thread with your post on the Ecuador forum.
Now you can easily interact with members.

Thanks,

Priscilla  :cheers:

My husband and I are in the process of transitioning to Vilcabamba part time. We've been there 3 times fir a total of 3 months over the last 2 years.

Visiting first is always important. What information you find on-line isn't always accurate. There are often a lot of negative comments made about Vilcabamba by other expats who haven't really been there or have only made a quick short visit and have not really spent much time there.

There are some Vilcabamba Facebook groups that can be helpful. Remember that those who post are only some of the expats living there. There are many more who rarely post and many there who are not often in town.

It all depends on what you are looking for. The weather is warmer and the views are amazing. It's easy to live outside of town and walk and/or bike to town, or catch a taxi. You can walk out your door and hike up into the Andes.

"My husband and I are in the process of transitioning to Vilcabamba part time. We've been there 3 times fir a total of 3 months over the last 2 years."

Not to sound rude, but even 3 months out of 2 years is not enough time to really make a solid judgment.  I made my husband live here for 3 months, to make sure he really wanted to live here,  before  I gave my notice at work and truly feel I should have never moved here.  However, I can honestly say I have learned many life lessons I wouldn't have otherwise.  It's 4 years for him (& close for me) in living here, and he's now ready to move back to the US, and not at my urging.  I always argue how expensive it will be to move back, since we sold our house there last year, and brought all our belongings here when we moved.  But on the inside, I still silently hope it works out that we move back.  But I wouldn't be opposed to vacationing here, but let's be honest, that's not happening!!  I want to vacation in places I've never been, not somewhere I've lived.