Has anyone driven the panoramic route (La Ruta Panoramica) recently?

It's been a few years since we've been and are planning our next trip, probably near the end of this month. We are curious to know if there are any new road conditions we should be aware of, have any areas gotten worse, closed off etc? We will be starting off in Cayey and head west through to the coast. Any insights/new developments would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

Nope. It is on my To Do list. Take photos and give us a report.

Yes - definitely need your report!  That drive is on my short list when we get back to PR.

Take your time and be aware that on some parts of the route the road can bearly fit one car. Nice Sunday day drive, do not get caught at night, too many curves.

Where do you plan to start you tour? I know the area above Adjuntas/Ponce, Juana Dias Coamo, Torro Negro towards Aibonito and Cayey. This can be done in an afternoon with a full tank of gas. This route has various stopping points including Torro Negro. Highway 10 is a good way to exit or enter Ruta Panoramica. It is a midway point of the Island. Highway #2 Ponce to Ruta 143 is about a half hour or less. Highway #2 Arecibo to Ruta 143 is about an hour or a bit more depending on truck traffic. The other ways like coamo, Yauco, San Sebastion can be windy not to be done at night or with rain or fog. The other section is from Mayaguez, Las Marias. Sans Sebastion towards Yauco, Laras, Adjuntas. Driving the curves can get tiresome in places but the Adjuntas-Cayey is more manageable that the Adjuntas to Yauco. There are magnficent views from many places. Vendors are usually open Thurs, Fri, Sat Sun. Sometimes jeep and motorcycle rallies take place during the weekend and you can get caught in traffic Jams. Thurs. Or Fri are my preferred times to travel.  Torro Negro has some beautiful swimming spots. They are just below the camping area with soft waterfalls. there are 3 or four pools each very relaxing cool and clear. Very few people go to them so you will have them to yourself unless campers are there.

I will definitely take a ton of photos and I'm mounting a gopro to the front of the car so all bases are covered.  We'll be hitting the usual stops and then some. I can't wait, it's my favorite drive in PR and we'll have 2 full days to enjoy it.

Mark,

We are starting in Cayey, heading west (going down 52, then west) . Toro Negro is definitely on the list of stops, thanks for the tip about the pools below the camping area, we will look out for them. Around Ponce is where we are going to spend the night and then finish the last leg. Definitely not driving at night, we are starting out around 7am...those roads are challenging enough in the daytime. I hope there aren't too many rallies when we go, wish we could go during the week but we just have the weekends open for now.

I can second Mrkpytn's recommendation for the pools in Toro Negro. Park at the camping lot, walk down to the camping area, and there is a little path that goes behind/down past the camping area. Follow it for a bit and you'll see the pools. They are usually pretty cold but extremely refreshing and I have NEVER seen anyone else there and I've been probably a dozen times or more.

Also in Toro Negro is a stream-fed swimming pool. Park at the kiosks and go to the trail across the road. There may be a gate / sign warning you not to go past it, but you know....I haven't been for about a year, but last time I went up there they were in the process of restoring the pool. I wonder what it looks like now. I've been visiting that pool for about 3 years now just waiting on them to restore it to its former glory, and they've slowly been making progress. I'll be going up there again in about 3 weeks. Maybe it's open!?

When you go to the pools there is a little path you walk to get to them. When the path ends you can continue a little bit by actually walking in  the river and there is one more pool that is my favorite and even more private. If it is rainy you will not want to do it and if it is cloudy it will be too cold.  I am not in Puerto Rico at this time but if I were  I would have invited you to visit. My home is two blocks from the Plaza Las Delias.

It's on my bucket list now!

Thank Kev and Mark for the very precise directions, we will definitely check it out. If we make it to the pool I will take some photos. Mark, hopefully we'll have a chance to meet up when you are all situated here. Cheers, Karen

It looks like I will be in PR just in time for Hurricane season.  When I have gone to Toro Negro it was  during the winter and dry season. Since the river is near its source it  probably does not get dangerous if it rains too much.