New members of the Thailand forum, introduce yourselves here – June to December 2017

Hi, I'm Dennis from Sydney, Australia, due to retire mid next year and looking at retirement option in Thailand.
Love the culture , not sure about climate but can cope.
Have enough saved to buy house  or condo up to 2.5 ,million baht. Can I then live off 3
25,000 baht a math?
Any and all advise welcome.

In my opinion - You might want to think twice before looking at buying a condo or town house in Thailand. For one you don't know which city you want to live in or what part of the city that you like, Plus your price range may be a little on the low side. In addition to that, you being a Foreigner, dealing with real estate might become a little more complex then in Australia.

Your budget of 25,000 baht a month is doable. If you owned a condo and didn't pay rent it would be more doable. With you're entering retirement and Thailand your expenses may be higher then would be par for the course for you, at least at first. It will take you some time to figure out how to get the best bang for the buck. Plus you don't speak Thai and in a way that will cost you money. It is doable but you might have to manage you money. Then there is inflation and currency fluctuations.

To top that off there are health concerns. Do you have insurance living in Thailand. As is the case any where in the world - would a medical event have a dramatic or debilitating impact on your economic conditions. Thailand has reasonable prices for health care. Even so a medical event could seriously impact your budget.

Yes 25 k a month is doable but it limits your wiggle room and makes you a little more focused on your budget. I once saw a video by a man who spoke of how small a budget he could live on in Thailand. I personally would not live at that type of life style, There's a difference between surviving and living.

You should do more research on your own. Look for rental properties on line. They will be higher but give you an idea. On line look at the different area and see what attracts you. Then take the step of an exploratory trip.

I manage on 10.000
I think you'll get by.

Hi, my name is Kaitiaki...new to the forum.  I've been living in Bangkok since August, 2015, and I still have many questions.  I'm here on a retirement visa (retired teacher from Los Angeles), and I rent an apartment in the Sathorn area.  I've been doing a lot of photography, and I am a Facebook member of the Bangkok Photographers Group.  I'd like to meet new people in here.

MO,

Nice for you, enjoy your level.

BK agree. If you don't want to drink, smoke, travel or eat out (except deep fried cockroach) then 10k will work. For me, I didn't work for 44 years to have that level of living for the next 30 years. Double for a survival level with an odd beer and go to 80k for a bit of luxury.

Hello, My name is Racha,
I moved to Bangkok 3 months ago. It was a big decision to take, but Im proud i did it.
Iam actually the regional ambassador of the Technovation challenge in Thailand.
Thanks ^^

Moderated by Chris 6 years ago
Reason : Advertising is not allowed.
We invite you to read the forum code of conduct

Then I reckon I should do all right at 30,000B/m.

Hi!

I am planning to visit Thailand for employment. I have a degree in Business Administration major in Human Resource Development Management. Would any of you know where I can get a good job asap?

Hi leiakarinacepeda

Welcome to the forum. :)

You can live on 30 k baht a month and live a good life, and maybe even be able to save some money for splurges on occasion - such as out of country trips.

Yeah I want to work in Bangkok to be able to save. Are there any job openings? I have a degree in Business Administration major in Human Resource Development Management.

Welcome to the forum.

I think you will make friends quickly. :)

Hi guys,

My name is Zi from Malaysia and I am a professional in the Power/ Energy consulting space.

I will be moving to Bangkok in March 2018 and hoping to make more friends and connect!

Regards,
Zi

Welcome to the forum kiumo. :)

Hello Everyone,

I am Rakesh from India, moved to Bangkok few weeks back on work.

Looking forward to make new friends and explore Thailand.

Best
Rakesh

Hey im Angie...im Thai mixed
I was living in middle east and Europe before coming back here ...nice to meet u all

Welcome everyone! :)

Good evening. I'm new to expat.com but not Thailand. Home is just north of Chiang Mai going on four years. My first visit to the Kingdom was pre 2k. I'm here because I like Thailand and I'm enjoying life here. May all have a very happy,healthy and wonderful new year.
         William

Welcome drwilliam! :)

Hi, I'm a Foreign language Teacher in Bangkok.

I'm looking for any jobs.

Thank you

I don't know of any however I'm not in the educational field.At the international school my children attend you might check their webpage to find a correspondence address; Prem Tinsulononda International School.

drWilliam

I came across this site not too long ago. Great forum to learn and share ideas.

Welcome Marcelo! :)

Welcome to the forum Marcelo !

hi folks; retiredenglishgent  here from australia coming to patong in march for  a month wish to get a retirement visa get a pension of $1027' 40 per fortnight (26,712:40)per year have a dwelling in melbourne to sell  will bring $$$ with me to put in thai bank  what is the criteria re the visa can i come back and live in aus until i sell my place or will i have to live in thailand all the time and can i put $$$in a thai bank ????

Looking forward to come to Thailand for a vacation. I would like someone to to tell me more about Thailand. What is it like to live in Thailand. How is the country as regards to security, social life and all of it? Would be looking forward to your views and advise. Thanks to you all

retiredenglishgent wrote:

hi folks; retiredenglishgent  here from australia coming to patong in march for  a month wish to get a retirement visa get a pension of $1027' 40 per fortnight (26,712:40)per year have a dwelling in melbourne to sell  will bring $$$ with me to put in thai bank  what is the criteria re the visa can i come back and live in aus until i sell my place or will i have to live in thailand all the time and can i put $$$in a thai bank ????

Welcome, retiredenglishgent. I'd advise posting your question as a separate thread. It's going to get swallowed up by all the other introductions...

Robby1791 wrote:

Looking forward to come to Thailand for a vacation. I would like someone to to tell me more about Thailand. What is it like to live in Thailand. How is the country as regards to security, social life and all of it? Would be looking forward to your views and advise. Thanks to you all

Welcome Robby(1791)! I'm sure that many of your questions have been answered here at one point or another. Feel free to look around.

Thanks...Dick but i am new here

Welcome Robby. If you're coming as a visitor on holiday I think you will find many sites on the web regarding Thailand. This site is directed towards expats living here or those planning to. It's a wonderful country and I find it quite safe.
Cheers,
William

Thank you !!

"How is the country as regards to security, social life and all of it?"

Not bad.

how do y

retiredenglishgent wrote:

how do I?

If you are asking how to start a topic, there is a button to push on the forum page.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/bfl0pWlRalwDqiyK9Ep9j5Awu5zXodgd8DLatVDj87WY08Y5XcQCU9a6VfeGzop7rO5TNXaaUd5LO2MtT7j61Lx4yOXI023SylsTmhF05RtojfCxKZU7yfej1YF5KqFyXPOwQ9i9mXSgWOXRoxyNrEaT7MTUCyF9NnguOyil2m9RKKjKr3SLM0VuJfkDb5G9V7nfY2m5YlBuq3LzPWBIdHy2mzE9EbUGx9GaoAWCxiVDMHSkFh7yN5TH8CxGEcjIC2iYzFlp-R65CDAY_4MOnepsr4CRgwNy7p5wouOPZy8wnhtwIzTrm839mSNWCJYWyvA_tRANddTJ_xSH7kdayd_F12bhElw0yfEXHNL_e6n0Ob7UhilUgaxSR0uF7Ah-px3TCPCAvwZPkEkVcKWlc2ZeNKDNk05j5BevEx0DbWMdKlIfT9eYIaKwGdoAmDCLGCLEeRKttwJHHQeIn3h206AXCSFzli1P6fJ7xgyvrnm4ylvIIYTn1VleuCMqreZmyU9T1AiYd_gi4R1op42Mw4hviFnLrwu0rIoX2yPTbjmSgS5wjnvH2zdeoGhtQwpfVZdPaIdySSM_Bw2boUF2V5IzfRrfDEwbaLsDAq_bqKzvtq9Qdo0PbdvHp0y9DEcz5RSzNJOKxMGz9U2-Jz4DA0tOjzA9EoU5pA=w2284-h1250-no

Hi to all, im a newbie on here looking for info on moving to Thailand when i retire in a few years. I went to Bangkok and Phuket before Christmas 2017, fell in love with phuket and Karon where i was staying, the people were lovely and friendly. I have a dilemma now as phuket is more expensive than some other places I'm unsure as to where to make my home.

terencenicholls wrote:

Hi to all, im a newbie on here looking for info on moving to Thailand when i retire in a few years. I went to Bangkok and Phuket before Christmas 2017, fell in love with phuket and Karon where i was staying, the people were lovely and friendly. I have a dilemma now as phuket is more expensive than some other places I'm unsure as to where to make my home.

Welcome! I've never been to Phuket or Karon, but I am sure that if you explore the peninsula inland you will find better situations. (And it all depends on your retirement budget.)

I liked Phuket at one time. Many still do. For me it's a westernized version of Thailand. Have lived in Bangkok...for me it's a concrete jungle. The mountains in the north are my favorite. Chiang Mai . Scenic. Not as hot as the south, Friendly. Cosmopolitan. Good hospitals.Great food.Very affordable. Chiang Rai is also worth a view. Have fun.
Cheers,
William

www.teachinthailand.com. Its a new site so use your top url search bar

Hey I'm Marcus. Been living in Thailand for 2 years. Really like BKK!

Closed