Bring a bigger TV with you to Ecuador (cuz u can't watch enuf TV)

TVs are the most important electronic consumer item for expats along with their communication devices, which should include a smartphone if they have any sense, although I question why some expats have to have the most expensive iPhone or Samsung Galaxy.

It is with that in mind I was pleased to read that the government has bumped up the size of
TVs you can bring with you on a plane from 24" to 32".

http://www.elcomercio.com/actualidad/dr … uador.html

Dude, I didn't see your post as I was too ecstatic about the new allowable goods rules, especially the Drone.   :)

I would have posted here. But yeah it's all good, and a 32 inch TV is okay, but it maxes at 720p resolution. Which is good and I'm not complaining but just stating an opinion.

If someone wants to bring in an additional smartphone the fees according to the same article would be 15% duty + 12% IVA (well as of June 1st), and 0.5% children fund tax for a total tax of 27.5%.

vsimple wrote:

Dude, I didn't see your post as I was too ecstatic about the new allowable goods rules, especially the Drone.   :)

I would have posted here. But yeah it's all good, and a 32 inch TV is okay, but it maxes at 720p resolution. Which is good and I'm not complaining but just stating an opinion.

If someone wants to bring in an additional smartphone the fees according to the same article would be 15% duty + 12% IVA (well as of June 1st), and 0.5% children fund tax for a total tax of 27.5%.

I don't see where they specify that the TV needs to be a max of 720p?

That 27.5% percent tax you mention is the same as if you were to import one using say a courier service under a aduana's category (maybe D) different from 4x4. However. obviously you would pay shipping in addition to the tax.  Well worth it if your additional phone is say a $50 Blu phone with ads from Amazon.com

I was speaking from a technical aspect about max resolution. Customs could care less about technical aspects of TV/Monitors and only look at size. But yeah, 32 inch TVs come in 1080 res after doing a quick search on Amazon, something I didn't know. So it's great news for people wanting to bring in their TVs with them.

The line between TV and monitor is narrowing.  There was a tienda in Cuenca that was promoting  a LG 28 inch monitor without TV tuner as an internet tv. But it did have built-in speakers, a HDMI connector and a IPS screen. Really, the only expats that need a TV tuner are those that watch TV with rabbit ears which is about none. Everyone that I know is streaming their shows. A couple of people I know have direct TV, but since the tuner is external, the only requirement for the tv is an HDMI or RCA connectors.

An alternative for your consideration.

There is no way I'd carry a large TV with me. Apart from being a pain in the bum it's hard work to transport.
A nice LED projector is small and easy to carry in hand luggage, and it will give you a very nice clear picture up to about 2 meter screen size.
The new ones are 1000 lumens, easily enough to produce a very nice picture  in a slightly dimmed out room or a good picture with a slightly small screen in full daylight.

Notes - A very dark film causes issues so you have to dim out the room for those - Dim, not dark.
The sound isn't great and comes from the back of the room so a small amplifier/speaker is in order. TV speakers are not great as a rule so a simple portable unit works easily as well or better.
You can get wild and add a big stereo or full surround sound system.
Quick and easy to do.
Many of the new projectors have bluetooth audio out so you don't need to care about wires if you use a bluetooth speaker. Any of the half reasonable ones will produce better audio than the average TV.

My older 500 lumen unit works very well.
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/NDY4WDgwMA==/z/3hIAAOSwNSxVEACM/$_32.JPG

Most have inputs for HDMI, composite video and the old style d-sub for computers so they can be used with anything.

A screen is best but a white wall works almost as well.

Who wants 32 inches when you can have a lot bigger and it's a lot easier to get it there?
Bonus - the prices of these things is dropping and the quality is getting better with every new model so big screens cost not a lot more than small 32" TVs and it slips into your trouser pocket.

I won't be buying any more TVs, always using projectors instead.
I have one for work, one for home and a tiny one I use if I want to watch a film in a hotel room or do a presentation in a smaller room.
The latter is limited but will slip into a shirt top pocket with a lot of room to spare.

Nards Barley wrote:

which should include a smartphone if they have any sense,

100% correct.

Smartphones can be a massive help, especially the translation matrix and GPS mapping .
The communications side, things like Skype (That's getting to be a pain in the bum of late), whatsapp and Google hangouts dialer are very handy for keeping in contact with whoever.
I only keep skype because of it allows a UK (or other countries) local number so it's easy for people from the old country to contact me.

You don't have to buy the latest top of the range bit of kit as such as the Samsung mid range phones can do the basic stuff very easily but without all the problems you get from the cheap end stuff.

Number one thing to remember - Make sure the phone isn't network locked.

Christmas wish list - Dear Santa, please get Whatsapp to add international landline and mobile calls to their very handy app.

Better than both...but I admit...only one channel...still no commercials!

...my window facing the ocean!
https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/ZbR781tOY332ZCYd3nxiMsUIBt2nxW2RPvPOP5ddMxa

Susan_in_Ecuador wrote:

Better than both...but I admit...only one channel...still no commercials!

...my window facing the ocean!
[img align=L]https://www.amazon.com/photos/share/ZbR781tOY332ZCYd3nxiMsUIBt2nxW2RPvPOP5ddMxa[/url]

I'm a very helpful Fred

https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4199/34788974221_742484e02a.jpg