Explore puerto rico

My wife and I, we are both retired for sometime and we are thinking to explore Puerto Rico with relocation from Pennsylvania in mind. We planed to visit south part of Puerto Rico this time in the following order:
Boquerón (Cabo Rojo)
Ponce
Guayama
Humancad
Vieques
We are planning to leave on June 25 and get back home on August 5. We will fly from Newark to Aguadilla airport and return from San Juan to Philadelphia airport.
We are retired and we are not looking for any employment, maybe volunteer work.
We would like to get some suggestions about our itinerary if it will serve our goal to explore PR. We thought to not rent a car because we are not sure where we will be and when and car could tighten our hands. We are planning to use  taxi or Uber. Also, our plane will come to Aguadilla at 1 am and it will be easier to get taxi.
It will be helpful if somebody could suggest us where to stay in the places that we indicated.
We will appreciate any suggestions that may help us to get a good time and know better Puerto Rico.

Hi there,
Welcome to the forum and hopefully Puerto Rico soon.
You are going to need a car, most of the area you mentioned does not have UBER and taxi are not always available. Also not all taxi drivers in the west and south are fluent enough in English.
If you use a major car rental you will be able to pick it up in the west and drop it off at the San Juan car rental.

As to staying somewhere, I would suggest using AirBnB Or similar service, get one for some days in the west, some days in the south and some in the east since you mentioned Humacao. Ussualy you can get a place for 2 or more days in each region of the island.
Rey

HI,

Welcome to PR and the forum.  You have a good block of time, you could see the entire island. 

A rented car is a necessity, no public transportation, plus it gives you complete freedom to explore everywhere at your own pace.

I like Rey's advise.  Also, if going to the south side, stay at Mary's by the Sea.

Avoid driving in the mountains at night, daytime ok with caution, watch out for trucks.

Welcome to Puerto Rico.  Since the island is about 100 miles long, you will have time to visit all of those spots, and more, on your list.  Yes, you absolutely need a car.  Aguadilla is a very small airport.  The flights usually are less expensive because they arrive at very inconvenient times.  When I have visitors, I willingly pick them up at San Juan but warn them they are on their own if they fly into Aguadilla or Ponce.
Make the arrangements for the car before you travel, and at least your first night's accommodation.  You might end up having to wait around the airport until the car rental agency opens.
Consider GPS directions as a suggested route which may not be the best route. In Puerto Rico the GPS may take you on to some scary roads that end in the middle of nowhere. Carry a paper map.
Subscribe to Gustazos. com.  It is the Puerto Rico version of Groupon.  I saw some great deals for places to stay. Also look at  the website Puerto Rico Day Trips for suggestions of places to visit. 
I agree that there are some lovely Air BnB accommodations.
I live in Humacao in a community called Palmas del Mar.  I love it here and have no regrets.  I am retired from  Long Island, New York. Unfortunately, I probably will be off-island when you reach this area. But give me a shout when you get close.
If you have an AT&T cell phone that can be used as a Hotspot, this will be a great way to connect to internet for you.

I agree with everyone else, you definitely need a rental car.  If you arrive @ BQN airport the car rental companies tend to open at night when most of the flights arrive.  And book a hotel near the airport.  Driving at night not knowing where you are going can be tricky.  At least during the day you can see the signs or syop and ask for directions.

Mary by the sea is a lovely place and well maintained.  They will also bring you over to Guilligans Island.  A must if you are on that side of PR.  Book hotels soon!  The last week of July gets really busy in the southern region.  There are 2 PR holidays and it's also  the last week off from school, so many families flock to the southern side of the island.

As far as GPS, I've used MAPS on my Verizon phone as well as the Waze app and have never gotten lost in PR.  Don't bother paying xtra for the rental car company GPS if you have a cell phone.

Not sure how familiar you are with that area but just in case you are not....stop by Playa Sucia; la parguera; the town of Joyuda has lots of seafood restaurants; Boqueron town is lively at night and I found most places spoke English.  Guyama has a restaurant on the beach that sells giant alcapurrias and empanadas....delicious.  if you go up tbe mountain near Patillas/Guayama youll arrive at Charco Azul.  Great for swimming....up the road from there you'll also find ruta del lechon (roasted pork route); and let me not forget the winery...andre sole, in Guanica great for wine tasting, tapas, cheese....peaceful and beautiful.

If you have Verizon cell service you are likely to have a lot of issues with your cell and internet data. All other should have no issue.

Your definitely right Rey P....verizon in PR sucks.  But it still works.  I had data everywhere I went and i was able to send/receive text with no problem.  The biggest issue i had was making calls.  I had to dial the number twice before calls went through.

Hello, and also welcome! I won't rehash what has already been said, but suggest that you come here, and rent a place for 6 months, while traveling the island, at your leisure, then take your time, deciding on a forever home. That's how most do it. You may be concerned with moving all your "stuff" here, I know, moving sucks!

Thank you everybody for helpful advice. We'll keep all your explanations in mind and try to use them.

My intention, and only mine, so take it as that, to visit..

Arrive San Juan, and spend the night, There is a place mentioned for great seafood for the arrival I will look up for you.

Next for me is Arecibo. I have to see the radio telescope! But really it' takes you through the interior of PR.  Other ways through, of course and probably better, but I have to.

Ponce. Not a place I thought of, but as of talking to MrKypytn , not a place I would skip! Puts you on the South coast of PR and if you can book with him, all the better.

If your headed towards Vieques, then the drive along the South Coast towards Fajardo is what I'm planning,
A few turns North along the way leads you into interesting country and eats! Plan a stay over, I am.

We all have our own reasons of the trip there. Mine leads to Fajardo and points east into the SVI's.. That includes Vieques.

I would not pass up the interior of PR on your trip. I have much to learn of this area.

Do update as you proceed on your journey!

Talk about the interior.. You have the time,, and rent a Jeep.. I read about this awesome place that takes the day to 4 wheel drive into and an awesome BBQ at the end of it. What I haven't heard about is the nights stay,, Hate to have to drive back out that day. Oh there are opportunities of adventure if so willing!

Thank you olddawgsrule for the invitations. We already booked the flight from Newark, NJ to Aguadilla.  Who is MrKypytn? What do you mean to book with him? I may contact him if you give me his contact information. It is an interesting idea to look interior of the island.
I wish you good luck on your trip. I'll try to update on progress of our trip.

isaakbg1 wrote:

Who is MrKypytn? What do you mean to book with him?

He lives in Ponce (at least part time) and is Airbnb host. He's a member here and you can contact him by private message. https://www.expat.com/forum/profile.php … mp;lang=en (click on 'send a message')

For transportation, like others said, get a rental car but don't plan to take it to Vieques. I'd take the plane to Vieques and go back on the ferry.

Thank you Gary.

Hope you can hookup with MrKypytn while in Ponce (hopefully stay with him). He has a BnB right in town (plan to stay there myself) and get direct you around. Also has a place up in the hills (not far away I understand) you could visit!

thank you olddogsrule, I'll try to contact him.

Sory olddawgsrule, misspelled your name. I tried to get to the site that Gary gave in his message and have a response: "Sorry, the page is not available anymore.". But thanks anyway.

Been called worst.. LOL!

His Air BnB listing
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/1723848?lo … s=7yQsSAX-

I also wanted you to see this: http://www.puertorico.com/reserves/
Your going to drive right by a few.

If you go into woods and marches make sure you keep the mosquitoe spray handy.

You guys have Greenheads down there? Pesky little buggers around the seacoast up here in the Nor'east..

This for fun folks, works for me up here in the Nor'east.
Bug Spray:
Geranium oil
Peppermint oil
Clove or Teatree  oil of your preference..
Oh hell, use both... I use Clove.

1/4 teaspoon each to 16oz water.

I was looking for a tick replant and find it works on most else.
No ticks so far, Black Flies hate it, Mosquitoes turn away..
I probably have a lifetime supply on hand now..

Let me know if you try and how it works for you.
If nothing else, you'll smell great! LOL

Just my response to Rey sayin' bring spray!

Whatever works, want to make sure you enjoy and not end up scratching your skin off.

Thank you guys, you are all great.
The one room/one bed Mark's house doesn't suit us. We need two beds and some other amenities that this house doesn't have. We will book a hotel, may be holiday inn in Ponce.