I wish to purchase land while I'm there and i settle on

Hi I'm in the uk 37 and single and wish to move to Mongolia.... I prefer the open land and not city life... A stone or wooden cottage and farming on a small scale and to live of the land.... I'm a free sole and can see my self being happy in the middle of no where... As long as no bears and lions turn up 😂😂... While we are on that subject I also wish to purchase land while I'm there I  an settle on... The land In  the middle of  no where near the mountains where no one lives is that owned or free land? And what kind of costs to purchase maybe 2000 square meters...

Kind regards

Every Mongolian can claim 0.7 acres in the countryside so my wife could get free land but I would not be able to as a US citizen. An apartment in UB is around $40k USD so I would imagine land in the remote countryside would be cheaper.

You can`t own a land here as a foreign citizen. And beside it seems like you`re not checking the reality here. How are you going to live in middle of the nowhere alone? You understand that there`s no sewer and water system in the vast emptiness right? So no comfort of toilet and hot water. If you manage to build an independent system the cost will be very highly. Also internet and connection will be hard to get by. And grocery shopping etc would be hard. Kms and kms away with no decent road. Winter continues about 7-8 months. You think you are used to winter, but winter here is totally different than European winter. If your car broke down or won`t start during the cold you`ll be done. You should watch the movie Into the Wild. And i`d advice you to do your homework and research more seriously.

Hello StarGazingSloth,

How are you? Just run into your post and wanted to know if you do still want to come to Mongolia and settle here in the wilderness of Mongolia?

It is quite intriguing to read your wish to come to Mongolia, bearing in mind what Windsor looks like. But hey ho, it is always grass greener on other side of the road, isn't it?

As one of our country girl advised you to do some homework before moving here, why not to use your holiday time whatever the season is and visit Mongolia. There are quite good numbers of tourist agencies run by your country people, who learned a lot about us, our urban and rural  lifestyles, and culture. If you prefer cheaper ways to travel around Mongolia before making your decision you can consider local tourist agencies, just browse the internet, oh yes, you could pop in to our Embassy, while youre in London, Kensington.

Frankly speaking, Mongolia, especially its countryside is not as bad as it was described. If you have entrepreneurial spirit with your work experiences and skills you should be able to make here a good living. If you like crispy cold, sometimes could turn bitter :), and sunny hot dry summer, then this is the place for you. There are a lot of choices to choose from, whether it is Mongolian highlands similar to Scottish, or in an open steppe, or the Gobi, or in taiga, and/or nearby our favourite lake in the north. Here are quite few numbers of westerns who settled in rural areas around UB (stands for Ulaanbaatar) and run animal farmings, artisan cheese and meat businesses.

You could also contact your embassy here in UB for more accurate information about coming and living in MOngolia!

Good luck and best wishes to you!

Hi

It's been a while and after planning I am deciding to come for hiking and to see how it's like before i take any extreme measures...I know it might sound unrealistic but I am a survivor and know how to make things work being from an aerospace background... my new post is here https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=892101

Apart from rare lone sickly     wolf attacking people. I haven't heard of a wolves killing a person here in my 20 something years living here. Wolves however tend to attack herd quite frequently. They're pretty satiated by it. Wolves are no big deal,

Now bears on the other hand seemed to attract some news highlight with the fire in Siberia. Last year there was a great wild fire in Siberia. Numerous bears migrated to Mongolian forests for food and lair. With the scarcity of food, there was reported case of bear attack on herders. But that's just last year. Before that, I haven't heard any bear attacks. We do have good animal control, heard they shot the bear who attacked the herders.
And that happened in Forest regions. The steppe, Gobi, Altai are all safe from animal attack. It might take a while for you to encounter any animal in the Gobi.

Lots of foreigners go for trips and I see no problems.
I looked at your other post and I know a couple of foreigners who live quite comfortably as farmers in Mongolia.  Mainly vegetables and wheat. Mongolians are  nomadic herders so farming culture is not as developed. There's lots of fertile land for farms. The infrastructure is developing rapidly. So this might be one of the last chance before Mongolia becomes not so Barren, not so unploughed.