Property prices in Rwanda

Hello everyone,

Finding affordable housing in Rwanda is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.

What are the most desired places to live? What are the most affordable ones? What is the average cost of a rented flat? And what is the average sale price for an appartment or a house? Could you tell us more about local real estate policies/procedures? What about property tax or residency tax in Rwanda?

What about you? Where do you live now? Is it a place you would recommend?

Thank you in advance for your clarifications.

Priscilla

Finding affordable housing in Rwanda is number one priority for newcomers. Tell us more about the estate market in your district/city/region.
Rwanda in general and Kigali (the capital) has really beautiful real estate.  Rwandans as a culture are very private and as such do not live in apartments but in single unit houses complete with gardens.  They also take pride in designing good houses although some tend to be grandiose, but with a bit of diligent search one can get some really beautiful gems to live in.  That said the price market is very very diverse.  A local expat run website livinginkigali dot com has excellent reviews on the various places to live.
Real estate purchase prices are quite expensive and ranks easily in the likes of Nairobi Kenya.
Local real estate policies/procedures are pretty easy and friendly to expats.  The government has decentralized the services and nearly all real estate purchases is done at the local government office.  A word of caution though.  Rwanda has some pretty severe matrimonial (marriage) property sharing law, as well as family laws regarding property.  A man or woman cannot sell joint property without signature of the other party, so one has to be super cautious when carrying out such transactions.  I would advise engaging a credible lawyer is well worth your buck in order to avoid being entangled in nasty family law suits.  The government has also made the land maps easily available online for verification so that one is sure about its status.   Construction permits (for large real estate developments) are easily obtainable online as part of the World Bank Ease in Doing business report, something the government is immensely proud of and seeks to continually improve.
Property tax is collected by the local district which is very stringent on the collection with hefty fines for not paying on time.  Not sure on residency tax should think its the same.
I have lived in Remera and generally I like it a lot its within easy access of everything.  A caution though. burglary is on the rise and although the rwanda police is trying to do its very best, I would recommend having a security guard from an authorized security company (themselves licensed by the rwanda police). 
Hope this helps!

What about getting a loan for buying a house? Is this hard? What is the amount a bank wants you to put down?

Hello there I have a question for you, I'm not sure if you can answer it or not but if you can I really appreciate.

I'm trying to buy a land in Rwanda and I need to know if you know how much it will cost to buy a 120/60 square meters?

Thank you for your help

Hello LAmar
It's not hard if you have collateral esp land and often a permanent job.  Usually its 30% of value of house.  however a good website has some houses to sell imali.biz sometimes Kigali life yahoo group and facebook pages are good sources of good houses.

Depends on the location! I would consult imali.biz or facebook pages of Kigali life and Kigali life yahoo group for an indication on how much it costs