What is the process for registering w/police when renting?

Renting house for 1mo and owner wants me to go to the notary office to sign the rental contract which will then be submitted for police registration.

Doesnt seem like a big deal but owner claims it will take one hour which likely means it could be 2hrs or longer not including travel time.

I never had to do this when renting in Danang.  Is this normal for Hoi An?

Yes, unfortunately its normal in Hoi An - if you get friends coming a few days they have to be registred too ... ridiculous

Right, just seems unusual that renter would be required to accompany owner to notary office to sign rental agreement.

Rented a place at Ocean Villas and two other houses before that, and all i had to do was hand over passport for a day or copy of it.

goreme wrote:

Right, just seems unusual that renter would be required to accompany owner to notary office to sign rental agreement.

Rented a place at Ocean Villas and two other houses before that, and all i had to do was hand over passport for a day or copy of it.

Are you sure that your prior landlords didn't just go ahead and register you without your knowing?  It would be sort of a CYA on their part.

As far as notarizing the rental agreement, it's probably overkill on the owner's part but how can it hurt you beyond maybe an hour of your time?  If anything it probably protects you.

I have a feeling that the owners don't want to pay the police, had the same thing happen in Saigon. The owner refused to pay bribes to the police, they made her and me go to an office and spend a few hours doing some paperwork, only to turn around after she had done this and tell her the paperwork meant nothing. Cong An are a bunch of greedy low life's.

THIGV wrote:
goreme wrote:

Are you sure that your prior landlords didn't just go ahead and register you without your knowing?  It would be sort of a CYA on their part.

As far as notarizing the rental agreement, it's probably overkill on the owner's part but how can it hurt you beyond maybe an hour of your time?  If anything it probably protects you.

Yes, prior landlords simply took copy of passport and registered w/police.

During my short time in VN, learned that nothing involvng paperwork/officials only takes an hour of my time...ymmv

colinoscapee wrote:

I have a feeling that the owners don't want to pay the police, had the same thing happen in Saigon. The owner refused to pay bribes to the police, they made her and me go to an office and spend a few hours doing some paperwork, only to turn around after she had done this and tell her the paperwork meant nothing. Cong An are a bunch of greedy low life's.

I was beginning to suspect someing like that and dreading excessive amount of time it would take to sort it out.

It seems many VNs i come across dont appreciate the value of time and nor mind wasting others time.

I'm living in Hoi An and i know that. That is exactly because Hoi An not like Da nang. If you rent a house for min 1 month. They are will make HOUSE LEASE CONTRACT.