Work in Luanda for a year for an Oil Company

Hi All,

I am a white Scottish lassie soon coming over to work in Luanda for a year for an Oil Company I am pretty excited/nervous about the whole thing but want to have a great experience and get to know the place as well as possible but obviously staying safe at the same time.  Does anyone know of any running clubs in Luanda.  I currently run races including Marathons in the UK and would love to be able to continue with my training when I come to Angola.

Also just any general advice about how to fit in as well as poss would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Karen :-)

Welcome to Expat.com Karen

Your post has been introduced in a new thread in the Luanda forum for better visibility; this might then increase your chance in obtaining more responses & reactions.

Regards

Hi Karen

All i can say is WOW you have lots of courage to venture to Angola!  Things are very different here, especially you coming from Scotland.

As for running over here.... In general its pretty safe in Luanda, but dont run after dark and the best place is probably along the Marginal - But its also a busy road.  I would suggest you get someone to run with you.  Not sure if there is a proper running club and road races will probably be few and far between

On the plus side is that the weather is hot and humid, so coming from Cold Europe you will feel like you in a sauna!

If you can speak portuguese (local language) that will give you a HUGE advantage.

There is so much i can tell you... so if you have questions let me know!

hi Karen,

I've just joined this forum but I read this elsewhere on here: if you are interested in "running" or entertainment there is the Luanda Hash Hound Harriers as well: [email protected]

I've been to Luanda a few times and I've noticed quite a few people jogging at the "ilha", the long strip where some nice restaurants and beach clubs are located.

I hope this helps :)

Hi Karen

I used to run but Luanda is very dusty , dirty & busy compared to Scotland

The Tropico Hotel has a nice gym where you can run in a clean , quiet & dust free environment

Also i head south of Luanda occasionally and there are very nice long stretches of beach that are great for running

Stay safe as you cab get into trouble in the wrong streets after dark but generally is a pretty safe place i feel ( 18 months and no issues so far )

I am also in the oil industry in Luanda ( poor drilling contractor )

Regards

John