Should i take this offer?

Hi to all, I am a serving Officer in the Indian Navy and hanging my boots in August this year. Have been offered a facilities manager role in Angola. Contemplating whether i should relocate to Angola or stay back in India. Salary offered is USD 34,387.00 per year. Alongwith this, free bachelors accommodation,all meals, medical benefits and 60 days leave with airfare. Should i take this offer? How expensive is the country? Is this money sufficient or should i ask for more? (Though it is never too much);) Request early reply as have to confirm to the company. Many thanks in anticipation of a response.

it is not enough for life here.If you're alone is ok,but for an expat family 2+3kids your wages is going only for food.You need car/transport and Phone also.

Dear Dantrinca,

Many thanks for the alacrity of your response. I am being told i have to go alone. The salary, as i did mention is USD 29,314.00 Fixed and USD 5,173.00 variable. In addition, a bachelors accommodation, 3 meals and once in a year air-fare is in addition. Should i consider taking this job? Will i end up saving anything? I have a very simple life style i.e no drinking/ no smoking. Love eating out once in a while. An adventure enthusiast and love to explore new lands/ meet new people.Please tell me whether i'll be able to sustain a life style there? And if yes, what approx could one save to send home? Thanks a tonne, i know i'm bothering u but need you to help me. Regards

You don't bother,but you'll go away alone and leaving back a family? I will not do it for 10 month away and just 2 home.Decision is yours.cheers

I guess i need to rough it out for an year or two. Anyways my wife ought to stay back here for looking after my 3 yr old son. But, does one save anything to be able to send back some dough home? What's an average salary for a good living?

Hello vikrantmalhan.

Welcome to Expat.com!

A new thread has been created on the Angola forum for more interaction. :)

Aurélie

I am looking for work in Angola in the civil construction and had that offer I would accepted it if it was including transport, phone and internet.
After all we are talking about 10 months of work per year and the offer seems to me good.

Hi everybody!
We are a young couple from Romania and we just got a job offer for both of us in Luanda, Angola. We are considering it, but we aren't sure whether to accept it or not. The salary is $70,000 a year, with housing provided, health insurance and one meal. Should we say yes or no?
We are wondering about the life conditions in Angola, as far as health is concerned and opportunities to save some money (as we know that Luanda is particularily expensive). What can you tell us about epidemics (malaria, African fever etc)? How safe is it for a young white couple? What can you do during your free time?
Should we buy a car in there? What happens when/if it gets damaged?
We would appreciate some inputs and ideas, because we need to make a decision very soon.
Thanks a lot!

Hi go ahead ,but ask car in same time with driver.
keep in touch by email.
Dan-RO

Hello there!

i worked in Angola (Lobito) as Accountant. Luanda is the second most expensive city in the world (next to Tokyo). i must say, i lived the most frugal life there, spending my money on food alone. yes, i only bought a pair of slippers for the whole period i was there. very sad.

your offer gives you around $2900 a month, not bad if you are  living a simple life. with this salary, dining out is a big no no, especially so if you're obliged to remit portion of your salary on a regular basis, i mean, if you have a family back home.

angola is a country of extremes. you can see a handful of rich people living in decent apartment, but most of them live in sheer poverty. luanda is not a clean city, in fact, it is infested with thieves.

by the way, you will enter the country with a tourist visa (visto ordinario), make sure your employer will apply you for a working visa, but this will cost him several thousand dollars...otherwise, you will always be on the lookout against the DEFA, Economic police, etc...in other words, you will be miserable.

think about it.

@mcjuralbal,

Hi There!! Greetings from India. Refer to your valuable e-mail. I need to know a few things, which people have not been able to answer. I am being picked up by a Company which has offered me the following so far:

(i) USD 34,387 per year. (I am planning to negotiate this to 40,000 USD per year.

(ii) Bachelors accommodation

(iii) 3 Meals

(iv) Visa Processing/ Ticketing

(v) 30 days leave per year with air fares

(vi) 27 earned (other leave)

(vii) Medical Insurance and Transport.

Please tell me whether this is sufficient for an individual in Angola? I have frugal demands, non smoker, non drinker but love to eat out once in a while.

I have the choice to refuse the job if the salary is not sufficient. I also need to send money home for my wife and 3 yr old child who will stay in a rented accommodation in India.

I'll be grateful if u could tell me on these lines whether the money being offered is sufficient or I should ask for more, If more, then how much?

Many thanks and regards

Vikrant

for an Individual is minimum.Need car with driver.

They are giving transport. But will 40,000 USD be sufficient. No other expenses? Works out to 3300 USD per month?

on my opinion it is not enough, it's up to you.

vikrantmalhan It's not enough, What about your transportation?

Luanda is very expensive.  If you take the job, you will absolutely need reliable transportation as one of your benefits - a company based car service with driver.  Driving yourself is not always safe and Afri Taxi, as well as other taxi services, are expensive and not reliable.  Do NOT use the local blue vans; they are not safe. 

You will also want to make sure that your bachelor's accommodations include internet, a clean water system, and generator back up as the electricity goes out often.

No I agree, I came back from Luanda after living there with my wife and 2 children from 2008 - 2011 and $3300 is not enough if you want to send money back to India every month, lets say you plan to send back $1500 per month, you are left with $1800, you would be able to live on groceries for $800 if you dont shop at Casa dos frecos at all. But as other people said you will need the following from the company also, a car and driver for work and back and to the airport and back for holidays. But I would negotiate for $4000 per month minimum plus other perks.

Hi,
     I hope your doing well.
I have an offer in Luanda as an Oracle DBA.Salary is $US 600 +Food+ Accommodation+ Transportation.The thing is some of my friend are saying that there is no life secure.Could you please reply me it is sufficient salary or not as well as companies rules.I am waiting for ur valuable reply...

Africa and Angola is a good working experience for an expat.

1. exposure to international working environment outside your home country.
2. Competitive compensation.
3. Better living standard, facilities and saving potential.
4. International schooling

All said and done, you have to keep the high cost of living in account. It is the worlds costliest city for an expat.

pravendba, is please tell me that you didn't add a "0" by mistake. I don't know your level but you can't accept a job as expat in angola without:

Minimum salary 3500$
full accommodation
transport including air tickets
medical insurance 

All this considering that you come alone without family.

This is my opinion now you do as you feel but 600$ is nothing. If you go lower you will loose money not make money in angola.

Salutare,ati ajuns aici?
Dati un semn de viata
Dan

@dantrinca: In English please.

Thanks
Armand

pravendba, if you have not already taken up the offer, then my advice to you is "DON'T" Living on USD600 with everything else paid for is still suicidal. You will need to provide for your own health too in addition to what your company may offer you...... hidden costs are the real killers!!!!!!

Hi Guys ,

Please advice if Metal Scrap Export is allowed from Angola??

i will appreciate if some one can advice me more details about this business in Angola as i am planning to start on May 13.

Regards
Anuj
[email protected]

Can any one tell me I have got an offer in Luanda as area sales manager they are providing me 1200$ including food allowance plus fall accommodation at there with is 200$ is enough for food there as I am not drinking or smooking pls tell me fast

sandeep7 wrote:

Can any one tell me I have got an offer in Luanda as area sales manager they are providing me 1200$ including food allowance plus fall accommodation at there with is 200$ is enough for food there as I am not drinking or smooking pls tell me fast

Try this website for cost of living www.numbeo.com