Is there alot of buzz about the Zika Virus?

Hi again!

For those of you already in Colombia, are people making a big deal about the Zika Virus? I am a female who is thinking about starting a family in the next couple of years and am planning on, coincidentally, moving to Colombia by then. In the US, it is in the medial all of the time and there are recommendations to delay pregnancy and not travel to areas where the virus is prevalent... Are there any ladies in Colombia who are in the same situation as I am and what are the local Dr.s saying?

Thank you!
Gabby

There have been over 70,000 cases of Zika in Colombia. I was just there and they talk about Zika. But they're not running scared like Brazil.

Out of those 70,000 cases of Zika, Colombia has not had one confirmed case of microencephaly of a newborn. 80% of Zika victims never even know they have it.

The problems in Brazil with Microencephaly are due to something else. And the US Center for Disease Control is aiding in this cover up.

If I sound conspiratorial, then look it up for yourself. It's a problem in Brazil. Not Colombia. You'll be fine.

BrandonBP wrote:

There have been over 70,000 cases of Zika in Colombia. I was just there and they talk about Zika. But they're not running scared like Brazil.

Out of those 70,000 cases of Zika, Colombia has not had one confirmed case of microencephaly of a newborn. 80% of Zika victims never even know they have it.

The problems in Brazil with Microencephaly are due to something else. And the US Center for Disease Control is aiding in this cover up.

If I sound conspiratorial, then look it up for yourself. It's a problem in Brazil. Not Colombia. You'll be fine.

I tend to concur with BrandonBP on this, although I am not in Colombia yet.  Zika virus is not new, it has been around for a very long time.

If you look at www.snopes.com its unsubstantiated that a Monsanto chemical is the cause. Also a chemical couldn't be spread by sex. I was recently on the Caribbean coast of Colombia expecting mosquitoes and found none! Very amazed! I'm in Rio Negro at approx. 6k feet. No Zika here just a wonderful climate. Supposedly Medellin has Zika mosquitoes at approx. 5k feet. I hear it helps to take vitamin B6(thiamine) to help prevent bugs from biting you.

Monsanto makes Roundup and crafted that nifty Agent Orange that turned out so well for everyone that got sprayed with it, so I don't doubt it.

There are websites you can fact check people's beliefs. Google fact check sites.

Ginger, you are correct, the chemical is not spread by sexual contact/exchange of body fluids and Zika virus is.  I work in the medical field and have not seen evidence of a Zika related microencephalic infant born in the US since we were made aware of this phenomenon.   The current warnings women of child-bearing age are being given in the US are to avoid mosquitoes just before getting pregnant and while pregnant.  The male partner needs to avoid mosquitoes just prior to conception (and of course while his female partner is pregnant, should he become infected, they would need to have protected sex until told otherwise by their physician).   The only danger, we are told, is an active infection while pregnant.  If you are young and healthy and you become infected with Zika, you may never know it and it will not impact future pregnancies.

They're showing Sept 7th 15 women giving birth tested positive for zika at Miami. One was from off Venezuela coast. The problem with spraying for mosquitoes is that you kill the honeybees too! Not good for mans survival! Birds are a natural predator and dragonflies.

Bats also eat thousands of mosquitos.  Bat habitats are less expensive and and not harmful to the environment.

Frogs too