Customer care in Laos

Hello everyone,

The way customer services are handled can greatly affect your views on certain brands, products, companies or stores. As a consumer, it is important to get familiar with local practices regarding client assistance in Laos and try to understand how things work in the country.

How would you describe your customer service experiences in Laos?

Do you feel welcome when you enter a store? Do you get useful tips and advice?

Are after-sales services available in Laos?

Thanks for sharing your experience,

Priscilla

Laotians are very friendly, simple and nice people. Laos as a nation is still catching up with the Western notion of Customer service or after sales services. It also depends on which industry you are referring to. Another challenge is the language, in most shops or service outlets (restaurants included), the number of staff speaking English is limited or at the best, speak basic English. This is in no way saying that not speaking English is a detriment to good customer service or is to be considered as a 'handicap'.

If you go to a shop to buy electrical or electronics, the staff are rarely able to explain the specs and give advice on which brand is good. This may be largely because most outlets trade in goods, imported from outside Laos and vending in Laos, with not much consideration to the need to understand the various specs offered by each manufacturer. In a general store/mini mart, the attitude is very much 'pick your stuff, pay and leave'. In a restaurant, there is no attempt to give the customer that 'extra' service with a smile.  In summary, Customer service, as known in the more developed countries is available at very limited outlets. There is no concept of going the extra step to satisfy a customer. And it is not because of the way people are but a result of the industry being at a very nascent stage. And the choices in the markets being limited.

To cite the above, I would like to provide an example. There is a bicycle shop close to my place that opens at 8-30 AM and closes at 5 PM. A friend recently arrived there at 4-50 PM and wanted to check out the bikes. However, she was told that they are closing shop and could not be served. Period! Where I come from, the shop owner would gladly stay extra time to serve the customer.

Welcome to Laos.