Sports in the United Arab Emirates

Hello everyone,

The Olympic Games are now just a few days away and we would like to talk about sports.

What sports are the most popular and/or unusual in the United Arab Emirates?

Are sports facilities easily accessible there? Where and how can one find sports clubs in the region?

Are there sports events regularly held in the country?

And you? What is your favourite sport? Which one(s) do you practice in the United Arab Emirates?

Thank you in advance,

Priscilla

Here in UAE   most popular sports is  Foot ball , horse riding ,Ferrari world and camel riding Ete ..

For me my favorite sports is food ball and athletics .

Hey,
   My favourite sports is cricket

RE:  The Olympic Games are now just a few days away and we would like to talk about sports.
What sports are the most popular and/or unusual in the United Arab Emirates? Are there sports events regularly held in the region?
And you? What is your favourite sport? Which one(s) do you practice?

Some of the most popular sports in the UAE must be cycling and triathlon at this moment as well as football and golf as the facilities are world class in the UAE.  There are regular events happening once September starts and the heat gets less, although it can still get quite hot into late September.  As for unusual, I'd say ice skating and any snow/ice related sports - who knew the desert caters for the snow sport enthusiast. 

I enjoy swimming year-round as well as cycling.  In Abu Dhabi the F1 track is open 3 times a week to the public for safe cycling and running, which is pretty amazing.  There is also the Al Wathba cycling track for those cyclist seeking really long rides - another great facility.  Dubai offers their own fair share of fantastic facilities with the Cycle Track near Meydan race course and the longer cycle course into the desert at Al Qudra.  One of my favorite events is the Yas Triathlon and the Abu Dhabi Cycling Tour as well as Ironman Dubai 70.3.  Definitely something to add to any sporting calendar.

Have a good week!

Sandvlooi

In UAE Most of the guys playing soccer and this game is in their blood like cricket in India.
So my favourite game is Tennis & Badminton but unfortunately I m playing only badminton once a week

Slow pitch softball played at Zayed Sports Complex is one of the most enjoyable sports experiences I am having in the UAE.
They have coed leagues during the fall through the spring time.  They also are doing a summer league currently for the first time (too much for me), heat that is. 😀
Also there is a recreation level league for inexperienced and new players and a competitive league for that seasoned ball player.
Lots of fun and good people from all over.
Look up abudhabisoftball on Facebook for more info. Cheers!

Swimming

Apart from the common sports and lifestyle activities like Golf, there is a new rage in Dubai.

It's cycling. There are dedicated and uninterrupted cycle tracks which are purpose built with good infrastructure and frequent events all year round.

Most of the top cycling brands are now available with the biggest draw being the Spinneys 92km challenge. This event attracts about 1500 cyclists in various category.

Despite the weather, you would see the cycling tracks bustling with activities early in the mornings and evenings all the days of the week. Weekends being very well attended. There are rental options available too.

Happy to answer any queries.

Keep riding.

Hi Priscilla,
Actually the most popular sport is UAE is football however Locals  have traditional sport such Horse racing , The Camel Racing and ( Pearl hunting from free dive).
If we consider the majority of expat from Asia you can say also Cricket one the most popular sport in Dubai also some European expat sharing them the same as cricket have similarity of Baseball.
there is a lot of sports & social clubs , huge green landscape &  parks around which enable expats to enjoy their time. and any enquiry regarding sport club we can found very easily through browsing in the internet.
World Cup Horse racing  is the most famous sport event in Dubai which hold in the last Saturday from month of March every year,
Also the Formula One in Abu Dhabi , The international Yacht racing,  beach football international competition,
I like football and sharing my friends at least once a week playing together around our area there nice park included nice gassy football pitch

Moderated by kenjee 7 years ago
Reason : Please avoid promoting your business on the forum. You could register your services freely in the business directory.

Hiya,

For me its yoga, swimming and tennis. As the summer is at its peak now, I wonder if there are any covered tennis grounds in Abu Dhabi?

Football

Hi all!!

I'm hopefully moving out to Abu Dhabi in the next 8 weeks. I love hockey and love riding horses. Im really hoping to get into both when I come out! Any help or contacts would be   really great!!!!!!

Laraine