Healthcare please

We are considering retirement in Portugal. It is understood that US medicaid and private health insurance are not recognized in Portugal. It is also understood that because we have never worked in the country we may not be eligible for health coverage in Portugal.

My question is what do you suggest we do?
How costly is out of pocket health care?
How costly are prescription drugs in the Lisbon area?

Thank you,

Art

Hi

I suggest you take out Portuguese Medical insurance cover.

We take out all our insurances house, car, contents and medical through Medal insurance.

www.medal.pt If you send them an email they do speak English and all our Policy is in English as well.

You may also find the Association AFPOP http://www.afpop.com/home.asphas lots of usefuo info. You can always contact them. WE have been members since we came to Portugal.

There many Portuguese health insurance companies, when you open a bank account in Portugal you may even be offed one through your bank.

Another card I have seen at the local private doctors/hospital is cartão da vida. We tend not to use the Portuguese health service as the wait to see a doctor is so long...ie I asked the other day and I could have got an appointment in a months time!!

When I go to the Doctors privately (If I do not use my health insurance) it costs me €45 for a prebooked appointment and €60 if I just turn up.

Hope this helps
Kind regards
Piglet