Moving to Latvia with your family

Hello everybody,

When settling abroad with your spouse and children, the expatriation process requires an extensive preparation.

What are the considerations to take into account when moving to Latvia with your family? What challenges have you faced? How did your children adapt to their new environment?

What is your recipe for a successful family expatriation in Latvia?

Thank you in advance for sharing your experience,

Bhavna

Hello I am 3 year ex pat from UK. Renovating old timber made house that is over 100 years old. Spent 30 k to make it look comfy. My wife and myself worked very hard on landscaped 4 care gardens and assisted builders plumbers and electricians in sign language from me and Latvian from my wife we managed. No jobs here that make a living unless in the cities. We reside rural as property is cheaper and land almost for nothing.I came when the LAT was currency and lost s bit on deals. Now Euro as the Government are slow to change. Schools for children here are plenty as one big one in the village is modern but the standard is lower than UK. The latvian is happy fixing cars and DIY .
They grow all they need but times are changing and power prices are rising. Still far cheaper than UK. Many here have a hard time surviving. They do not think of travel to Riga as it is a two hour drive back? Not like us in UK who would take in stride. My pal came here and found a teaching job in English and French. He was an engineer back home.Rents are high here one simply has to have the cash ready to buy. One thing i found even though Latvia is really cheap in most things building materials are around the same price as UK. Be warned as it caught us out on budget one. We still have a few rooms to renew. Well earth floors to build is a better way to say. I am now this week on UK State Pension so will have to save to do the last bit later this summer. Labour is so cheap one has it good though many rouges exist along with dozens of drunks. Beer and wines here are so cheap the weak have the few days over week end drunk to the core.As far as youth most have vanished to England Denmark and UK for work. Those who stay have families and live on small benefits or are tradesmen. Plumbers here are gold. Electricians two a penny but still hard to keep on job.
The male Latvian is cleaver and languages no problem most speak Russian German English along with their own. Lazy and proud but not educated one little bit. Some women here have good jobs and work hard. Car sales girls mostly degree holders and real finance mangers.  Again city life is far different from the country side here. Yes if one can find a home and job first and are prepared to mix in or accept life here than perhaps Latvian is for you. One thing that may make the change is rates on house does not exist. Land it stands on is taxed and rates on my big house is around 23 pound  a year. Cars are cheaper new. Fuel is nearly a half of UK as tax is nothing per liter. Things here are steady but on pensions one keep a sharp eye on the Euro Pound rate. Summers are the best and always hot. Winter is the other side of the coin and is very cold.One needs well insulated walls and big fires sides.
Can go down to 38 cel below for ten days at a a time. Last winter was mild but the first year here I was beyond help and ill wanting only to return to Britain. Now wool inside walls and heated floors and big wood burner stove in kitchens that heats water and warms a Swedish wall in the lounge we are better able to cope. One wants to consider a job and where to build or restore so a visit is beat bet. Latvia is a small nation with massive coast line white sand against cobalt sea sixty miles of free beaches Riga bay. To lakes and greenery and forests. Riga is the airport and car hire is cheaper too than home.Not for every one is Latvia but if you can see what we see in a developing nation come here.Business people are welcome if you can employ grants, may be available.