Vehicles

So I keep seeing RHD cars from the UK up for sale on Bulgarian Facebook pages.  Given the information passed about on the forum I see that a car is a big expense.  So how have peeps made their choices?  Is a 4x4 really necessary?  We have a house in a village in the North Central plains near Veliko Tarnovo.  The roads are variable in the extreme and of course there is the snow and ice to deal with.

We have a dirty old transit that's coming with us but I'm phaffing about what car would be better, an estate, a 4x4 or any other suggestions.  I'm talking about cheaper versions - circa 2003 and upwards

Cheers

Hardly s.o. can tell you what car you need just by reading the description in your post. But for sure you will not need the 4x4 until November.

Besides, buying a car is not a marriage - buy one and if it is not the right one - sell it and buy another.

Deff get a 4x4

Cheers, short and sweet but gave me what I wanted to know

Hi

thanks for your comment but such a laissez faire attitude to marriage!    So if a 4 x 4 is needed by November is it possible to insure and tax it for only part of the year?

Last year, I did my research on youtube watching many reviews and test drives then, ploughed in my savings and bought a 2001 X-Trail, 2.2 dci, it had 85,000 on the clock and is pretty much mint. It cost me £2500 on eBay. that was last April! I've driven it here in the UK since then so I could make sure not only did it perform but that I could put right any problems before I bring it over to Bulgaria. I also own a 4mtr load bay 311 Sprinter 2001 which has done 200,000 miles already and that will be bringing me the long journey with my furniture! The x -trail averages 60mpg + on a run as it has a 6-speed box and unless 4x4 is required it runs in 2 wheel drive, which gives it the economy! I will be bringing over a set of spare wheels fitted with off road tyres so I have my options covered!  I am firmly of the opinion, you can't beat being prepared for the unexpected!

Cheers

I've had a look at the Vitara - nice choice.  I have been thinking about the BMW X3 which is about the same price but I know will be more expensive to insure and tax not to mention run.  I've always had old beamers and been really happy with their performance but disappointed at their running costs

Compared to such as the X-trail, the Vitara simply doesn't cut it in off road testing. I totally agree re Mercedes/BMW but in a country where most things are rare, spares will no doubt be through the roof as well.  Its all down to personal choice and I prefer something with room to work on it myself as opposed to no room at all. The Nissan has a dealer in Vratsa and eBay spares are cheap as chips! There are a clear 12 inches all around the engine and no stupid fragile plastic covers to remove, it's all just at a nice height as well which is a plus factor for an old back! Merc's, and others are just too high to work on! I guess I'm just impressed as its the best car I've owned in a long while, having only one fault and that's the lack of heated seats! :-)

Yes, it is possible.

You may also consider an " AWD " (ALL WHEEL DRIVE), such as a Subaru, Audi, VW, etc.....the idea of shelling out on a new car on these roads is something for you to debate?
Maybe you could get a deal on a Dacia, as they are popular on the roads, it depends on what you think is either within your budget, or what you actually fancy driving, that maybe too expensive in the UK, but not BG?

AWD :)))))

http://www.russianmilitary.co.uk/sale/S1037605.JPG