3 Month Tourist Visa Question

I'm currently in Cambodia and I was thinking about getting the 3 month single entry tourist visa for Vietnam. If I have this visa is it possible to get a bus from PP to HCM or do I need to fly?

The bus is easy. Longer, but cheaper, you avoid airport wait times, security, etc. I got a 3 month multiple-entry visa in the VN Embassy in Phnom Penh. You can also wait to get a visa at the border but I don't know if they offer 3 months or only 1 month. I can't remember which bus line we used. Here is an overview to get you started, perhaps someone can provide recent experience.
http://www.seat61.com/Cambodia.htm#Saigon to Phnom Penh

Thanks for the info. I think it's probably better to get the visa before I go.

I was looking at giantibis they have a nice A/C buses with Wifi so I think a 6 1/2 hour trip with them would be ok. 

I'm still deciding which city would be a good base, any recommendations?

Dunno.  Haven't found a bad place in Vietnam.   Yet.   I'll keep looking...   . :unsure

What do you think about Hanoi?

I like Saigon, always stay in the le le Hotel in Pham Ngu Lao, easy taxi ride from the Airport.........its a touristy area, backpackers, and all the tour busses depart from there - quite reasonable, about $30 a night with aircon hot water and breakfast if you want it.  You can make your mind up after a week in Saigon  -  I thought hanoi was boring, nice to visit, but its night & day compared to Saigon.  I have been coming here since 2000.  It is best to have a Visa from a VN Embassy on arrival, no questions asked, trying to get more than a month at the border is a no starter.

Thanks

For Rob23a,

I am based in PP in Cambodia  and regularly take the bus to HCMC in Vietnam it takes from 6 to 7 hours and is fairly comfortable. I usually use Phuong Heng Bus Co. but I am told that Giant IBIS are OK.  The cost is US10.
The point that I want to make is that there is no way to get a visa at the border.If you need a 3 month visa you need to get in from the Vietnamese Embassy in PP. For a great number of passport holders you can get visa free entry for a maximum of 15 days at the borderBUT this is NOT able to be extended.

Thanks. I found an agent in PP that will sort out the 3 month visa.

Glad to hear that you are about to get your visa, enjoy your stay in Vietnam