How to extend tourist visa for further 90 days after 180 days stay

I am visiting my sister and her family on a tourist visa and nearly I will complete my stay of 180 days in Brazil. Now I would like to know that; how I can extend my legal stay for further 90 days.

1)- My sister and her husband is permanent residence of Brazil, can they make any special request for my visa extension for further 90 days.

2)- Am I eligible to obtain temporary residence permit  on behalf of 6 months Portuguese language course

3)- Who can obtain for permanent residency as refugee and what will be the requirement.

Regards
Asmamu

azimamu :

I am visiting my sister and her family on a tourist visa and nearly I will complete my stay of 180 days in Brazil. Now I would like to know that; how I can extend my legal stay for further 90 days.

1)- My sister and her husband is permanent residence of Brazil, can they make any special request for my visa extension for further 90 days.

2)- Am I eligible to obtain temporary residence permit  on behalf of 6 months Portuguese language course

3)- Who can obtain for permanent residency as refugee and what will be the requirement.

Regards
Asmamu

I won't candy coat my answers in order to give you false hopes, but the short and truthful answers are:

1.  NO -  in fact, unless you are a child (under 18) you wouldn't even be able to qualify for a Family Reunion Visa because of your sister.

2.  NO -  because if you were on a VITUR Tourist Visa you weren't even legally allowed to study in Brazil.

3.  NO -  refugee claims MUST be made immediately upon entry to Brazil, they are never accepted afterwards. Also you must have been from a country undergoing civil unrest or natural disasters. Also if you passed through any "safe" country before arrival in Brazil your would have been required to apply for refugee status in that country.

The maximum allowable stay in any (rolling) one year time period is 180 days, there is no exception and if you do not exit the country you will not only be fined, but could be subject to deportation proceedings. The only thing you possibly could do is to leave Brazil and apply for some other category of visa. Example:  You could enroll in a university course (or other qualifying course) and apply for a VITEM-IV Student Visa. That would permit you to come back and remain in Brazil as long as you remain in the course and renewing the visa.

Cheers,
James
expat.com Experts Team