Advice on groceries shopping

Hi i shop at Nakumat for all my groceries including fruits and vegetables and my groceries bill is just way too much for me.. I was wondering if all kenyans shop in nakumat or are there better places where I can get things for cheaper.  I m looking to cut down seriously on this stuff and hunt for bargains but have no idea where to go :)

thanks a lot

Well, let's hope that you get a lot of tips on shopping then!

Hi twinfun, check zucchin at villagemarket check also at citypark limuru road and also a Nakumatt highridge in the compound there are fruits sold there imported from southafrica by induvidual who sells to pple.

Hi, you're absolutely right - groceries in supermarkets actually cost more. I find Uchumi supermarket veggies cheaper. Anyways, depending on the area you stay, there are good old grocery markets selling fruit & veg at reasonable prices. Some are:

NGONG ROAD
-just next to Nakumatt Prestige is an open air market. Toi Market (Adams Arcade) past all the second hand clothes. Ask for directions.
WESTLANDS
- Kangemi market is right next to the road (open) as you head away from Westlands towards Lorosho, by the flyover.
EASTLANDS - Jericho market, many roadside stalls everywhere, Mutindwa market,City Stadium.

Hope this helps

Even muthurwa in the city centre down to the country bus,gikomba the cheapest and also Ngara next to fig tree nearer to westlands,parklands and gigiri

Hi Twinfun, Kilimani Grocers off Ring Road Kilimani is ridiculously cheap and a very clean and orderly establishment. The veges are always fresh and the price comes to about a third of what we normally pay at the larger supermarkets.

Hi Twin fun,
Am from Kenya and i must admit groceries are rather expensive in the supermarkets. You can purchase fresh and affordable groceries from all the open air markets in and around town.Find the ones around where you live.In case you need any assistance with visiting the markets feel free to contact me to run your errands. good day.

would you want someone to run the errands and buy you the groceries on your behalf?

Thanks Zola and Ashanti for your reply :)

Hi, There is also a large market opposite Aga Khan Hospital in Parklands, which we used to go to.  At least with a market you can negotiate prices too - always bargain!

Longonot62 wrote:

Hi, There is also a large market opposite Aga Khan Hospital in Parklands, which we used to go to.  At least with a market you can negotiate prices too - always bargain!

That is City Park, Limuru Road (very near from Aga Khan Hospital). A very large vegetable/fruit market. You will get almost every fruit/vegetable there. Prices are much lower than supermarkets. Bargain hard and you will save even more. Avoid going there in the monsoons though. Go on a sunny day.