Is It worth bringing my car to malta from uk

No Problem with LHD.

Don't know of concession for LPG car.

You have to have owned the car AND lived outside Malta for the last two years before importing it to get the registration tax exemption.

Ray

Regarding Q1: No. I know of 2 German expats who brought their cars over and had no problems registering them. We drove our Austrian car as tourists in Malta for 3 months and never had any problems either.

I have to be Maltese and be out of Malta for tge last two years or to be foreigner?
I do not have the Maltese residency, I am Greek and I own my car for more than two years.
I will come for work to Malta.
Does the exempt work for me?

nzarpas wrote:

I have to be Maltese and be out of Malta for tge last two years or to be foreigner?
I do not have the Maltese residency, I am Greek and I own my car for more than two years.
I will come for work to Malta.
Does the exempt work for me?

As a foreigner who has not lived in Malta for the two years before bringing the car in to the country and owned it for two years or more outside Malta you can claim exemption.

Ray

Is it hard to sell left hand drive cars in Malta?

nzarpas wrote:

very

nzarpas wrote:

If you bring your car in and claim the exemption and then sell it, you will have to pay the tax that you avoided paying!

Ray

Hi you really need to research this.My friend brought her car from Ireland and because she hadn't got her residents card within the first 3 months she got fined 2000 for having her car here.First you need your Maltese residents card before you can register your car.It can take ages to get this card and if it's over a certain time you will be fined.If you do it properly you should be fine but everything is done at a slow pace here and that's how my friend got fined.Research first ok

PmcC wrote:

Hi you really need to research this.My friend brought her car from Ireland and because she hadn't got her residents card within the first 3 months she got fined 2000 for having her car here.First you need your Maltese residents card before you can register your car.It can take ages to get this card and if it's over a certain time you will be fined.If you do it properly you should be fine but everything is done at a slow pace here and that's how my friend got fined.Research first ok

This subject has been covered many times on here so any member on here has no excuse for getting it wrong, trust your friend never read up on the subject or is a member of the forum.

Hi everyone , just been reading about whether or not to bring are cars to Malta, we have two cars one we have had for 5 years and the other for 1 year can anyone give us a break down what we have to do please?

Shirley124 wrote:

Hi everyone , just been reading about whether or not to bring are cars to Malta, we have two cars one we have had for 5 years and the other for 1 year can anyone give us a break down what we have to do please?

Have a quick search through past posts. It's all covered with links to where to find the amounts and what you need to prove you had the car a long time.

Shirley124 wrote:

It also depends on where you intend to live as in a lot of places especially in Malta, parking can be hard to find.

Hi Tom,
Thanks for all the upload information.
I will be moving to Malta in January 2019 and I would like to ship my car to Malta. I am aware of the difficulty faced by others, but is hoping  with your experience you may be able to help.
I have already received a job and therefore will be applying for a I'D card.

I have look at various cite but can't seem to find a suitable car for sale in Malta. I have also look at the gov website regarding taxes, but is not sure which one applied to my car.
Any support will be appreciated.
Roquel

Roquel28 wrote:

Hi Tom,
I have look at various cite but can't seem to find a suitable car for sale in Malta. I have also look at the gov website regarding taxes, but is not sure which one applied to my car.
Any support will be appreciated.
Roquel

Use this link to value your car and get the import duty http://www.valuation.vehicleregistratio … hicle.aspx

You will pay that amount plus some fees for new plates etc, before coming you must have your car valued and get a certificate about the true nature of the milage on the dash etc, for that you need this:

For private (M1) vehicles brought into Malta as of the 1st April 2011 or thereafter, an Odometer Certificate of Authenticity issued by a body approved by the Authority showing the vehicle's authentic odometer reading. JEVIC UK LTD are currently approved and can be contacted on [email protected] or by telephone - UK +(44)-01483-276900, Malta +(356)-35505155 or Fax: +(44)-01483-331701/273250.

Read http://www.transport.gov.mt/land-transp … individual for all the details

Hi Volcane.
Thank you very much,  this is much appreciated. I will sort out the Odometer certificate asap. I have received a  cotation to ship the car which includes collection and delivery at the port in Valletta for £1100. Do you think that's reasonable?
Thanks again. I will keep you posted
Roquel.

Try ship low cost, if they deliver it to the port we've heard cases where people get charged a fee to offload they did not expect.

Ship low cost is by road, cost me ~ 900 in 2016 and had no hidden weird costs

Thank you, I will check it out.
Thanks for all your help
Roquel

The exemption's interesting. I was thinking about bringing my camper which i've owned for 7 years. So with the exemption there aren't any other costs?

RoamingAndy wrote:

The exemption's interesting. I was thinking about bringing my camper which i've owned for 7 years. So with the exemption there aren't any other costs?

small costs, however if you sell it, you will then pay that cost again.