Moving to Islamabad

Hi,
I am so looking forward to moving to Islamabad,i have read some great and reassuring articles, My only question is about my girlfriend and baby, My girlfriend is Chinese with me being a white British male and of course our child is mixed raced, will my girlfriend and subjected to any kind of Animosity . Thank You.
Dean

Hi Dean
This is Sajjad, i am also kind of expat here, but was born here in Pakistan, therefore , not a stranger-- now a days I am based in Islamabad too, coming to your question, regarding your wife and baby, frankly i see here more Chinese among the expats, there are more expats from Asian side then whites here- however you have to choose an appropriate sector in Islamabad to enjoy more life here, and meet more expats while you working here. this is important.  otherwise, Islamabad is a city of Scenic View, rich in nature and many expats. Islamabad being Capital of the country, is more organized and clean, you may find even local friends having similar taste and knowledge of cultures as probably any westerner know, but still better , respect the culture, in term of dressing and opinions about religion... you may find my tips on this forum separately for women and men

Enjoy your stay---- Cheers
S.Haider

Hello Dean,

I've been around for a while and there are plenty of foreign families (civilians and diplomats) from all over the world living  in Islamabad. You and your family will be fine. No animosity, maybe just some general curiosity. Otherwise, it's pretty peaceful around here and some areas are quite safe to even go out for a short walk (together). I go for morning jogs now and then. Hope this helps :)

Julia

Hi Julia.
Thank you. When you say go for short walks together is that because you feel it not safe for a women to walk alone day or night through the safe areas?

I personally would not recommend for a woman to walk anywhere alone, it's just safer not to. There are some instances of bag snatchers, unnecessary attention from local men/workers/guards, etc. It's worse in Lahore, they tend to follow women sometimes, but Islamabad is more civil. There is one family park that is generally pretty safe. I'm only raising point because I know families like to be outside and go to parks,plus the weather these days is fantastic. My friend used to drive her kids to that park every week, because she lived in an area where taking outside walks is not recommended.

Thank you.  I can't wait to start a new life there in a week . How long have you lived there ?

I can imagine :) Change is always exciting, and Islamabad is a nice place to live. Good luck with the transition.
I've been here for slightly over 10 years, working as a Content Manager for a US firm. I'll probably be around at least for another year, so if you and your wife need any info about living here in general, I might be able to help so just let me know.

Hi Dean,

Welcome to Pakistan.

I just want to raise a point here about your girl friend's status in Pakistan. For her to have a resident visa as your family member, I am quite certain she will have to show documents as your legally married wife. Local laws do not recognize common law arrangements.

Just a suggestion to make sure it's all good before you wind up from your current location.

Regards,
Siddiqui

Hi Julia
Thank you again. I am sure I will be in contact over the next 2 weeks once I'm there .

Hi Siddiqui.

Thank you for that. First I heard of it so will definitely get on it. Thanks again

Dean