Please share your experience about Health Insurance

Hi everyone,

We're moving to the Antigua area in June 2016. I'm from the US, and my wife is Guatemalan. We're frequent travelers to Guatemala over the last 15 years and have friends and family there. Our kids are grown (we're mid-50s). I recently lost my mother, my last remaining parent; Betty's mom is living near Fraijanes. Once we settle there we want her to come live with us. I speak pretty decent Spanish and Betty holds dual US/Guatemalan citizenship and has her DPI. I'll be applying for residency.

While we know pretty well what we're doing, one mystery is health insurance. I know you can purchase it from banks and other entities, but we'd be very interested in hearing about the experiences of others.

Looking forward to chatting with you and sharing info!

Best,

Scott

Hello Scott,

Welcome on board  :)

A new thread has been created from your post on the Guatemala forum so that you may get some feedbacks.

All the best,
Bhavna

Thanks Bhavna!

Hi Scott,

I'm writing in regards to your questions on Health Insurance posted in November 2015.

I'm planning on moving to Guatemala this coming January, and Health Insurance something that I must look into! I"m wondering if you have any advice / recommendations to give??

Is one provider better than others?

Thanks,
Elan

There are a number of health insurances available in Guatemala. We have a private one offered by Hospital Pilar in the city. Most banks offer health insurance and one company that is widely used in the country is El Roble....