Senior benefits United States versus Philippines.

In the United States a senior citizen is anyone between ages 55 and upward. Some places award you benefits at 55 others at 62 (I.e. Discount restaurants etc..,). It does not matter what race or nationality you are to receive the benefits. As long as you have identification to prove your age.

In Philippines it is not that way. it seems they "don't" extend these benefits to foreigners. They only extend them to Filipinos senior who have a senior card. I have challenge this ruling a couple of times. Some award me the benefits and some do not. I am 62. I feel this is unfair.

I know about the difference in finances between foreigners and local Filipino. Being rich is a relative term. Most senior in USA are considered close to poor if only living on social security.

Wanted to know what others thoughts and how have they handle this issue.

I choose not to grapple with the issues. I just accept the fact that here I am wealthy and pay my way. Now when I'm back in the United States I don't hesitate to pull out my AARP card because like you mentioned, I'm poor there...which is why I live here. My income I can feed 20 families a month here. In the United States I can only do for myself which is why I'm single... LOL

Because Australia only give seniors benefits to Australians, I don't even think of it.

But even if it was different, I feel that the as the establishment may claim the discounts provided as tax deductions, then these benefits are effectively being paid for by Philippines Taxes. 

If I paid tax here I may think twice about not wanting to claim anything.  But otherwise I am financially able to support myself without needing Philippine Taxepayers to subsidise me.

Okay I get the difference in not needing the money, but would it not be nice to have head of line preference like there seniors have. Being that most places have along waiting line.

Exactly here we are 1%ers, home not so good.

Wayne 07 wrote:

Okay I get the difference in not needing the money, but would it not be nice to have head of line preference like there seniors have. Being that most places have along waiting line.

At the supermarkets, all seniors can use the senior queue irrespective of nationality.