Good Schools in Tete

Hi Everyone

One of my expats is looking for a good English or Portuguese school in Tete. We do know of the private school at Mozabique Leaf Tobacco, but are there any others?

Thanks!

sorry cant help with Tete but there are good schools in Beira and Chimoio.....chimoio i think has a boarding school

Thank you!

No problem, take some sun block...rumor has it that the devil left tete because it gets too hot.

Lol... Yes - it is the heat-pit of Africa... average summer temperatures reach 49 and 50 degrees, with about 94% humidity...

they say that if Mozambique was a human and God needed to give it an enama he would have put the pipe in at Tete.
Good luck there. I have been in Mozambique for 20 years now and going strong. I have an Afrikaans wife who has been here for 18 years, of which most was with me.....in fact my folks are here, my inlaws are here (unfortunalty) in fact i think my father in law works in tete for TCO. good luck with the schooling and if you need to get out go to ZIM or gorongosa. Nyanga is Zim is magic. we have had some really good weekends there.

BY next year there will be an English school in Tete...

Hi Broken16

That's great news. Do you know who I can contact to get more information? We obviously don't mind placing the children on a waiting list.

:)

how old are your children if you d0nt mind me asking..

Hi there

The child in question will be in Grade 2 next year - I think he is 7? He is currently in an English-medium school in South Africa (all of the current expats left their children in SA).

Thanks!

Hi,
Oh..that's good because I've heard that they will have until Grade 3 next year. That will be from Toddlers till Grade 3...

Oh, that is good news. Who can I contact to get more info around this?

Thanks for your help!

What else do you wanna know? Maybe I can give you the answers. Actually I might be working on that school..

Oh, that sounds great! Ok, need to know fees, where can the child be registered (or where can we place him on the waiting list), where will the school be based in Tete... I think that should be enough for starters, thank you!

The school will be located at Rua das Macombe (old office of FIPAG)..and for the fee.. i have to confirm if its less or more than $200..not really sure about it...Just register the child...we will be there by December.

im sorry..it's Rua das Maconde...and the name of the school is Emerald International School...:)

Thank you!! :)

There is a new English Medium School called Young Gemnys which opened in August 2010. It is located in Matema, just behind the new Standard Bank. The contact details for the Headmaster Mr Rava is 828476380. My two sons are attending that school and the fees are also very affordable @ approx $300 per month. They also provide a bus for the kids to and from school with home delivery after school. Its only because the bridge in Tete open at 0700hrs in the morning and cannot afford to pick kids from their homes but after December, when the bridge is complete, they will pick kids from home. My kids are developing well and hope to keep them there for the following years.

The school has other branches in Beira, Maputo and Nampula. I am told they are very successful.

Hi Guys,
The young Gemyns is franchise run by the elusive Sally and 99% Filipino teachers. Its good for primary school up till grade 4 or so. But i dont advise it for any higher. they are not geared for high school at any of their schools. My kids went to them for most of their school careers and i find them all behind now that they are hitting high school. Just be very aware of what you are getting. The other small issue is that the kids end up with Filipino accents. When there are no choices they are good and the teacher are really nice people. Just keep an eye on the level of education that your kid is getting.

Hi Everyone

Thank you so much for all the help - you have been very helpful :-).

By the way, there is no disrespect meant to the Filipino teachers. they are brilliant but they are limited to the tools that they are given to use. And you sometimes get the feeling that the franchise is run as a money making entity and not as an education facility. No problem Marika, good luck and try and take leave during jan and feb as it gets as hot as hell in that place.

Thanks Scanner for the advice. Actually my sons are still in Grade 1 and the other in preschool. Will really take your advice and check the progress when they get to Grade 4. Once more thanks so much.

Hi scanner,i understand how you judge Filipinos. I have a Filipino friend who is currently teaching in an International school in Maputo and she really has a good heart and patience.And I learned from her that Young Gemyns teachers are mostly Indians and not Filipinos.And i admire more the way the Filipinos are teaching despite from their accent.They might not have a good accent but excellent in grammar and spelling,they really are knowledgeable and that applies in their teachings.They even said that to have a good foundation of the child academically, start from where the Filipino teachers are teaching in Mozambique. Their schools in Maputo have high standards and even claim that South African transferies could hardly cope with their standard.Transferies also from Young Gemynds have difficulties in coping with phonetics and reading.
If that new school in Tete will be run by a Filipino and with Filipino teachers, I will absolutely advice those who are looking for a good school to start there when your child is still 3 year- old.They might adapt an American system just like any other schools in Maputo with mostly Filipno teachers.
To MARIKE, I advice you to keep in touch with the one who is going to teach in EMERALD INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, who knows,maybe she is an answered prayer for you?But that doesn't mean you stop searching.The desicion is still yours.Good luck!

r there two english schools in Tete? one young Gemynds and the other Emerald international school? if yes what curriculum do they follow? American,Indian,British or Filipino?

thank u very much

Hi Kajal, the curriculum as far as i am aware is the Calvin system which is American. By the way all, if your kids are a bit older i hear that the boarding school in Chimoyo is very good. they run with the Cambridge curriculum and are a registered exam center given o and a level education. of course peter house in Zim is also brilliant if boarding is the way you want to go.

hello scanner

thank u for the info, however if i could get more information on tht i would b greatful. like a phone number, etc

my daughter is only 4.
boarding school is a no no

thank u once again

Hi Kajal, i will see what i can do about a number for you. It would probably be easier to ask you employer to find the number....Although we only live 800km away it could be a different contenent. I will see what i can do...meanwhile probably best you dont send a 4year old to boarding school.. :-)

hello kajal..so have you enrolled your 4 yr old girl yet.i heard that Emerald School starts from babies up to lower primary and they are adapting a Calvert system, Baltimore USA.And the fees are lower than Young gemynds.
i suggest you go and see the school

Hi Kajal

The numbers for Emerald International as as follows - Cel: 82 847 5870
or 82 839 5193. I've been there and it looks promising - the grounds were still being painted and neatened up, but the study material was nicely organised and presented. Address: Rua dos Macondes, Bairro Josina Machel, Tete City.

Hi Marike, how did you come up with those numbers?i've been trying to contact them but i couldn't get through.so have you enrolled your kids yet?

Hi Whitesnowy

Remember to add the relevant international codes or codes for Mozambique - I'm from RSA so I'm never sure exactly what codes people should phone. The numbers were the numbers given to me by the school, and which appears on their fee structure docs. I believe one of the staff members have enrolled their son, yes, and he will be commencing school there soon.

Hope the info helps!
Marike

hi guys, the number is a cell number code is +258 or 00258. remember it is holiday. try again on the 3rd May

hi guys, the number has changed to 847701522 and 842680548...enrol n0w :)

Thank you all for the useful info, still haven subscribed yet as I'm still Maputo, will definitely take a visit once I'm there, to see if the shift is worthwhile or not.

Regards

Scanner wrote:

Hi Guys,
The young Gemyns is franchise run by the elusive Sally and 99% Filipino teachers. Its good for primary school up till grade 4 or so. But i dont advise it for any higher. they are not geared for high school at any of their schools. My kids went to them for most of their school careers and i find them all behind now that they are hitting high school. Just be very aware of what you are getting. The other small issue is that the kids end up with Filipino accents. When there are no choices they are good and the teacher are really nice people. Just keep an eye on the level of education that your kid is getting.

Hello Mr. Scanner.
Before i start let me remind you about the rules and regulation of this web site which for sure you have seemed to ignore or pretend to forget.  No wrong informations to be given here.  I would like to bring to your and my dear other members on this site notice that the information which you are imparting about the school regarding majority of Filipino teachers, and standards of education after Grade 4 not being proper, teachers not being qualified, the owner being a Filipino named  Sally all these informations are true but unfortunately you have name the school wrong. The school with all these comments which you have mention above are seen in Princess Cinderella School and not in Young Gemynds School.  To begin with first of all this school (Young Gemynds school) is own by an Indian Management named Mr. and Mrs Melwani.  They have succeeded excellently with their schools in Xai-Xai, Beira, Chimoio, Nampula, Tete and wiht 2 branches in Maputo. I would like to clear your second point that there are majority of Filipino teachers in these schools. Xai-Xai & Beira having only 1 filipino among other Indian teachers and Tete having 2 Filipino teachers with other 2 Indian Teachers proves that you are not very clear with the information which you are imparting regarding the Young Gemynds School to the members of this site. Thirdly i would like to inform my other dear members interested to know the true fact that this school (Young Gemynds) is very well known for imparting qualitative education as they have well qualified, trained and experienced teachers in all their branches.  I being one of the parents having 3 children in this institution in Maputo branch since 6 years i would like to share my opinion with the other members. I have my 1 child studying in the pre primary, 1 in 6 standard and my eldest daughter writing the AS level exams at present in the same institution.  Along with the other large group of parents having their children in the same institutions we share this opinion that this school is an excellent institution to guuide our children's future and channelize it in the correct manner.  Teachers here Indian and as well as Filipinos are very well educated having a proper clear English accent are teaching the children with great dedication.This school also believes in strong discipline in the children regarding their mannerism with elders and studies, which is very rarely seen  in other institution today.  They also emphasize on the knowledge of todays scientific and cultural knowledge of the child. Lastly i would like to just guide my friends correctly for the excellent future of their children which could be at Young Gemynds School.I would even like to request Mr. scammer to get the name correctly spelled of the school which is YOUNG GEMYNDS and not   YOUNG GEMYNS.I mean no offense to anybody but just giving  atrue information regarding the issues of the school and which deals with the future of the innocent children.

kajal wrote:

r there two english schools in Tete? one young Gemynds and the other Emerald international school? if yes what curriculum do they follow? American,Indian,British or Filipino?

thank u very much

Hello Kajol,
I too am one of the parent from young Gemynds school having 3 children there from long 6 years.I am fully satisfied in all means and i am very happy with their progress and the way the teachers in that school use teaching strategies to teach the children .I feel and a true suggestion that you should check this out urself rather than just deciding on somebodies given view on net as it concerns the future of your child for whom you care the most.This school goes upto 12th Grade 'A' Levels in Cambridge.They have been having excellent results till now.

Dear Coleen
Thank you for your advice, however, i am just merely getting info, and contact numbers and not deciding anything, obviously to go and check it out by myself, i kept asking people here in Maputo, if anyone knew, if there was an english medium school in Tete and noone knew how to answer that, thats why i decided to google it.

Anyways, if you could help me with the contact number of the Young Gemynds in Tete, id be greatful as my husband is already there and can maybe visit it.

thnks for your help
regards
Kajal
i totally agree. noone decides on anyones behalf, specially when it concerns our little ones future.
thanks again.

kajal wrote:

Dear Coleen
Thank you for your advice, however, i am just merely getting info, and contact numbers and not deciding anything, obviously to go and check it out by myself, i kept asking people here in Maputo, if anyone knew, if there was an english medium school in Tete and noone knew how to answer that, thats why i decided to google it.

Anyways, if you could help me with the contact number of the Young Gemynds in Tete, id be greatful as my husband is already there and can maybe visit it.

thnks for your help
regards
Kajal
i totally agree. noone decides on anyones behalf, specially when it concerns our little ones future.
thanks again.

Hi Kajal,
Happy to hear from you and this is the address of Young Gemynds School.The address is Bairro de chingodzi talhao, no 355,Q 25 de Setembro Tete .   Tel -25220399 . Hope this information will help you. For further knowledge they also have their main branch in Maputo Sommerchield. Their tel no is 21415497 or 848265504 no harm since you are in Maputo just to get an idea of their standards of teaching and syllabus, Its just a suggestion.

Thank u colleen

Will definitely do that.

Regards
Kajal.

Hi, I have been following the discussions where a lot of mention is made about the schools in Maputo and Tete.

I am planning to move in to Matola in 2 months; my office will be in Matola. I have a 5 year old son, whom I am planning to put in a decent English-medium school. Please advise what my best options are, considering that my stay will be at Matola and not Maputo. Any update on the cost part will be highly appreciated.

Your response on this will be highly appreciated.

Sincere regards,

Max