English as a Second Language teaching opportunities in Kiev

Hi,

I'm from Toronto, Canada and an English as a Second Language (E.S.L.) Instructor with twenty years experience.

I am interested in possibly teaching in Kiev, Ukraine for a year or two as of September 2015 or sooner, if possible and if I find the right 'fit'.

Can anyone provide me with some reputable contacts (i.e. some private companies, schools, organizations, names of people in the educational field in Ukraine, etc) that I might contact regarding the aforementioned?

I have visited some web pages and some web links regarding E.S.L. teachers in Kiev.

However, everything is in Russian or Ukrainian (which I obviously don't understand).

Any assistance in this matter would be appreciated.

Yours truly,

Jason

Hello Jason and welcome on board Expat.com

I invite you to drop an advert in our Teaching jobs in Kiev section

Kenjee
Expat.com Team

Dear Jason:

With twenty years of ESL teaching experience, you do not need the support of a school. An employer will take over half of the money you earn for themselves. It's much better to start your own LLC. I recommend you talk to Lobosch Consulting.They can set you up with your own company for about $750. There are over 350 mom-and-pop English providers in Kiev. Most of them are run by expates married to a Ukrainian. Many state schools have huge classes and notoriously bad instruction. Hence the need for so many private schools. What you really need is a Ukrainian partner who will recruit students for you and handle your business affairs.

Email me at  [email protected] . Or Skype me at  markgarrow1 .

Mark Garrow

What mark has told you is pretty much dead on.  If you are going to work for a school the British Council is the place to start but my personal experience with them is they are highly prejudice against non British English speakers.

As far as starting your own company Mark has given you some very solid advice.  And having a company that can do it for is a blessing.  The "red tape" here is unbelievable !!!!!

Just to put things in a money perspective for you the current USD/UAH exchange rate at a bank or ATM is 22.3 to the Dollar.  Schools haven't raised their prices much to make up for the loss in income due to the significant devaluation of the local currency.  So you may find yourself literally working for $4 to $10 an hour.  So like Mark stated start your own school.  But I will also give you a strong warning if you have a Ukrainian partner.  This is no slam on all Ukrainians as many are my friends but you had better watch the financial books closely and darn well know what is going on. Nuff said.

Very wise words, that is why only my wife is my partner.  Be very careful.  There are very few friends in business, especially new friends who do not understand the laws.

Hi Jason
I am living in Toronto but originally I am from Kiev, Ukraine.
I would like to know when you are going to move to Kiev because I need a teacher for my son there.
If you need my help about knowing the opportunities about your work in Kiev just let me know and we can arrange the meeting in Toronto before your leaving.

Nataliya

Hi Nataliya,

How do you suggest we contact each other?

I would like to talk to you asap.

Thanks,

Jason