Not yet a Expat but hopeing to take my place among them

My name is Capt. Michael Allen I have abeautiful daughter named Isabella and my wife Monique whom I adore. Over the last 4 years we have really been considering moving out of the U.S. my wife grew up in Central America and speaks several languages so I'm willing to try this based on her promise in helping me understand cnversations as I speak at present only English. My main concern in doing this really is how safe is my child who is 2 in Ecudaor? Would I be able to return to the states leaving them behind and know they are safe when it's  time to go back to work? I'd really like some straight shooting truth on these subject's if anyone has the time. Thank You and again Hello see you soon.

Welcome on board !

Just to let you know, I've moved the discussion to the Ecuador forum ;)

Your question is a little too broad, Michael.  Is it safe for your child anywhere in the US?  We all know the answer.  Here in Cuenca overall I would say certainly yes.  There are parts of Ecuador, however, where even I haven't felt safe.  So do your homework and narrow your search.

Hello Edd,

Thank you for responding and I see your point perhaps a mere line instead of a net would catch the info. fish im reeling for. I am actually glad you responded my wife Monique a dedicated follower of your blog will have me moving into your back yard living in a tent if she has her way. We do love your column, or blog I should say. However, we find it extremely well written with a touch of creative humor that keeps us excited about moving there for that I indeed thank you sir. We were leaning toward Costa Rica but Ecudaor looks so beautiful we have decide to head that way in Feb. for a two week looksie so with any luck maybe we can have dinner and a few drinks somewhere with you guys. If I need to bring it please advise I'd hate to wait 5 months for a rum and coke to get shipped in. lol Any way thanks again keep up the good work newspaper man just kidding love your blog.

Funny you should mention---there's a vacant lot behind our building just begging for a tent!  Thanks for your kind comments about my blog.  You might feel a little landlocked here in Cuenca, but compared to Costa Rica I'm certain you'll find "The Price is Right."  And, hey, we've got a LOT of coastline here.  I was amused that someone somewhere recently referred to it as the "west coast of Ecuador"--as opposed to the east coast which, oh yeah, we don't have!!  Dude, Coke appears to be by law the national drink of Ecuador, and good Panama rum costs a whopping $6.50 per fifth.  Michael & Monique---come on down---!!!

As Edd said, your question is a bit too broad.  Certainly in every country there are going to be areas that are safe and areas that are downright not safe.  Ecuador is a beautiful country with, mostly, amazing people in its population.  Of course, there are areas and people that may not live to such a high standard but that's just like anywhere else in the world.  Enjoy the 2 week "looksie" and really look at it from the perspective of actually living there as a citizen.  Do you feel excited when there?  Can you see yourself walking down this street everyday to grab essentials?  Could you call this place home?  Also, your wife being able to speak the language will help tremendously as most people find the language barrier to be something too big to cross.  Hope everything goes well and let me know if I can help you with anything specific.

Thank You Jason for the info. and possible further assistance I have no doubt my wife,provided she can find cream cheese and bagels will be trying to move me in the moment we arrive there. Altitude,atmosphere,simple kindness toward one another will be the factors that work on me. However, Iv'e always been an adventurer and if I dont give it a shot there. Then the only person I will fail is myself. I must do whats best for the future of my family. I don't know if moving there is the answer but I do know I'm willing to give it a go I just hope I got the follow through to make it work in a country I cant ask for milk without asking my wife how to say it before I walk to the store.lol I find myself wondering if I'll have any culture shock? I have repeatedly ask myself if I've plum lost my mind. My wife assures me it will be fine and I will love it there. My gut says make yourself another drink.lol I love my wife and I trust her decision making process so I find myself compelled to head on down to Ecuador. For the most part I guess Im just feeling a bit reserved I guess I can't help but think constantly to myself (Baby, I really hope you got this one right) the cost alone and what we walk away from here and give up are years of hard work selling off for crumbs. At present the way things are looking I might have to actually pay someone to buy our home.lol not even a nibble yet. Anyway, without rambling on any longer which by the way I do when Im feeling nervous about major life changing decisions. I can only say here comes 3 new amigos (at some point anyway)so you better hold on to your hats.

Capt.,
I completely understand your apprehension.  I will not lie to you, it is a difficult idea to wrap your head around.  You have one major asset that other people don't; you're doing this with someone you love.  Even if things don't pan out exactly how you wanted it you will still have an amazing experience and story to tell.  My one piece of advice is to make sure to take it slow and at a pace you're comfortable with.  That doesn't mean put it off forever but also don't makes this move without feeling at least 80% sure.  Otherwise, it will become a self fulfilling prophecy.  Your monetary concerns are valid as well, however, Ecuador does not even compare to the high cost of the US.  Yes, you have a lot of upfront cash due to purchasing a home/renting an apartment, moving, etc. but once in Ecuador you will see that you can comfortable live for significantly less.  If you wish, I could get you in contact with some lawyers that could help you piece together all that goes into this.  I have contacts in that are located in Quito, Cuenca, Manta, and Porto Viejo and also speak spanish (My father and I own a developing community in Ecuador, hence the contacts).  Take care.

Jason,
        I defenately appreciate the offer and find myself inclined to accept if you would be willing to email my wife at [email protected] with a list of lawyers email address's so she can perhaps try to start some type of ongoing communication with them and iron out the legalities and such. That would be fantastic especially if we can accomplish alot of this foot work while we are still waiting on our home to sell I think that would be absolutely beneficial to us. Being held up when we are set and ready over a legal document or technicality would be a massive bummer as we both are anxious to get the ball rolling. As for my apprehensions like everything in life if your willing to adapt you will surely overcome. My spanish speaking wife will either have me thrown in the local cell block 8 at the end or have me enjoying an incrediably good life depending on how rusty her spanish is. lol

Thanks again Jason all outside help is appreciated.

We are planing to move to Cuenca in a couple of years from now(2010)We bought an apartment there and saving to move in 2012 .My question is how much does it cost to register a 2008 Impala in Ecuador (a car can be up to 4 years old to qualified in the manaje).
Thanks.
Sergio

Capt;

I appreciate your adventurous spirit.
I have lived all over the world and decided on Ecuador as my "little piece of paradise" a few years ago. I found a wonderful piece of property right on the Pacific Coast and was going to retire there....to my (I will date myself here)....Ponderosa.
After showing family, friends, business associates the pictures of the magnificent Pacific views and the land, they all told me I couldn't keep this to myself.

(moderated: no free ads please)

If I can be of any assistance just let me know...no strings attached.
All the best.

Larry