Divorce in Vietnam

[Post under review]

[Post under review]

While I was typing my reply to your thread the Mods put it under review. So it looks like more then one have caught onto you. You I have retracted my reply. Good luck though.

Cthank you for your reply.

I'm a little confused.

In one post I read that you are the married American and in another post you wrote that you are the pregnant Vietnamese.  But based on your profile, you're Australian.
:huh:

Andy Passenger wrote:

I'm a little confused.

In one post I read that you are the married American and in another post you wrote that you are the pregnant Vietnamese.  But based on your profile, you're Australian.
:huh:

Yogi has an emoji for that...

:lol:

I think we are hearing some venting form an angry women at the very least. At the very least it is hard to give her an accurate answer because we do not know really where she is from or where the parties she speaks of are from. But in the other post I do not believe she every said it was "in her opinion" a COMMON LAW marriage. A great deal different than a normal marriage. If it truly is a US issue only Colorado, Montana and Texas have common law marriages. And it is difficult to fight them even in the USA.
Then she goes on to say is it grounds for divorce in Vietnam even if she is pregnant. Like divorce is predicated on the status of your uterus. I am done with this one. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

Faire wrote:

What happens if the American man (59) is already common law married in the USA when he married the Vietnamese girl but does not disclose at the consulate in Vietnam when married the New Vietnamese bride (25 yrs old and already pregnant by him before marriage) . Is that still considered a legal marriage in VIetnam ? If I send the divorce papers to the consulate to prove bigamy?
Will the Vietnamese justice ministry object to this major oversight in granting the marriage?
Is that grounds for a divorce in Vietnam if the bride decides to even if she is pregnant with his child?

1-  Presentation is a big requirement in a common-law marriage.  Both parties MUST behave AT ALL TIMES as part of a marriage, with no intention of hoping to get married to other people sometimes in the future.  If he referred to you as his gf or partner or SO instead of his wife, or if the community in which you resided didn't recognise your relationship as a marriage, then the common-law marriage was not valid even in that state.

2-  The so called oversight may not exist, as I'm almost certain that the family court in Vietnam doesn't recognise common-law marriage in the US.  A great majority of European nations do not as there's no legal document to prove that a marriage was ever taken place.

3-  You mentioned divorce paper.  If that document exists, then the marriage has already been terminated and he's free to marry someone else.

I am Australian and I'm in Australia right now but I lived in Texas and yes it was a common law marriage in Texas and the divorce papers signed by him prove it was a marriage or there would b3 no divorce finalizing in January 2019.
But rather than focus on me does someone know an answer the post?  Like how does this affect the marriage in Vietnam is all I'm interested in learning. In my defense I also said “if “ I were a Vietnamese woman because I wonder what her rights are and then refined my question because my original one misses the point of what I'm enquiring.
I know it appeared so confusing lol but I've just come across this forum and thought that someone may know how the Vietnamese government handles this kind of bazaar situation. It's not bs. Really.

When he married her he was still married in Texas but divorce comes final the end of January 2019 60 days after he signed the divorce papers giving me property etc. he married her in August I think of 2018 and he was served divorce papers in December 3rd.
thank you for your wise reply
Do you think it will cause trouble in Vietnam or is their marriage still legal.?

Faire wrote:

When he married her he was still married in Texas but divorce comes final the end of January 2019 60 days after he signed the divorce papers giving me property etc. he married her in August I think of 2018 and he was served divorce papers in December 3rd.
thank you for your wise reply
Do you think it will cause trouble in Vietnam or is their marriage still legal.?

Even if VN recognises your common-law marriage, if his marriage registration didn't go through until Jan 2019, then he's not committing any crime.

I seriously doubt that your marriage is recognised worldwide.  And as you're almost legally divorced from him, why bother causing troubles to him?  Whether or not his new marriage is legal, it's not your problem, is it?  Your relationship is over and done with, and you received some property for a settlement, I would say it's a fair ending.  Let it go and move on with your life.

Yes I was asking the question if I were Vietnamese woman because that is truelly what happened to her she is a victim here. But I also wished to understand how the husband would be affected. It appears that there is no worry at all about what he did as far as lying to authorities in Vietnam and yes I'm angry that he did this ....you would be too mate if it had happened to you. And yo7 had no idea whatb5he laws are in Vietnam but the forum here does but instead I've confused everything and everyone in my search for answers I probably will get kicked off the forum. But thanks for sharing and responding. 🙂

So it will not cause any problem for him or her that he was married to me when he married her? I wanted to protect my assets from them ...we were business partners and he stole the money so yes he is a bad man that will hurt her next . Why do I want justice?

If ithe marriage was recognized worldwide would that cause a problem in Vietnam. I got property cause it was mine to begin with and the rest he stole and gambled and sent to Vietnam to her family. I had to divorce him to,protect what assets were left that were mine to begin with.
The marriage was a marriage by the laws of Texas and there will be papers proving that so let's not question my motives.

My question and I repeat

....what would the Vietnamese government or local commissioner where they married do if they find out he was married to two people at the same time?

What are if any consequences?

That he perjured .... or is it just no big deal cause money talks and bs walks? That's all I'm really trying to figure out in this forum.

Faire wrote:

Yes I was asking the question if I were Vietnamese woman because that is truelly what happened to her she is a victim here. But I also wished to understand how the husband would be affected. It appears that there is no worry at all about what he did as far as lying to authorities in Vietnam and yes I'm angry that he did this ....you would be too mate if it had happened to you. And yo7 had no idea whatb5he laws are in Vietnam but the forum here does but instead I've confused everything and everyone in my search for answers I probably will get kicked off the forum. But thanks for sharing and responding. 🙂

Let me tell you what I know and what I would feel if it happened to me.

First off, many marriage is VN are performed without a legal piece of paper.  The ceremony is important to seal the promise, and the presentation throughout the life of the marriage is what the people involved count on as the fact of life.  That's it.  People here do not differentiate between a marriage with certificate and one without.  Without the paperwork, it's considered a good marriage if the parties are faithful to and respect one another.  With the paperwork, its considered a bad marriage when the man have affairs left and right.  Divorce is more common now than it was 50 years ago but it's still not the norm.  Therefore, a victim is someone who isn't respect, who is abused, not someone whose marriage certificate is not legal at the time of the ceremony.

Second, there are a few things I don't know about life in Vietnam, such as how to form a business, how to invest, and the difference between visa types.  Most of the other subjects, especially on the subject of marriage law, I do know quite a bit, so my comments are not something I made up.

Third, if a man with whom I no longer have a relationship is now marrying to someone else, legal or not, I wouldn't feel anything at all -- not angry, not upset, not being stirred up.  It's his life, as long as he's not harming anyone with his acts, it's not my concern.  I have my life to live.  If I do not allow anyone's actions to destroy my peace, why would I destroy my own peace of mind over someone else's actions?

It sounds to me you're still very angry over your bad relationship.  It's your right to feel so, of course.  I was trying to help, but it seems to me you're starting to become angry with me, so this is the end of my involvement.

Goodbye.

How long does marriage registration take usually on average?

I thought that misrepresenting your marriage papers WOULD BE A PROBLEM WHEN YOUR APPKY TO MARRY.

if VN  didn't care then why all the bureaucracy in Vietnam to ensure this does not happen with all the paperwork?

Ciambella wrote:

I seriously doubt that your marriage is recognised worldwide.

Just looked it up and there seems top be no recognition of an informal Texas marriage in Vietnam.
He doesn't appear to have broken any law as far as Vietnam is concerned as he was never legally married and there is nothing to show he was ever married as far as local or international law goes.
No marriage certificate, no formal proof of marriage, only a separation paper to say they stopped living together that has no force in law outside Texas.

Dead loss

Sweetheart get over your concern for the new wife and let them move on with theirs. The real issue here it sounds to me is that. You were married in the USA and the courts must have recognized it. End of that story. You went through a divorce in the USA and you were more than happy to take what the court gave you and the divorce was handed down by the judge. So end of that story. Yes, there is an appeal period in Texas before the decree becomes final. So there you have recourse. Fly back to the USA and open a case in Family Court in Texas and waste your money fighting that issue.
Now lets assume you win all that. He does not want you in his life. So are you hoping if you win he will take you back? Let go sweetheart and move on. Anger only corrodes the vessel it is carried in.
If Vietnamese wifie  has a problem with you EX-husband let her deal with it. Your just an angry gal that can not let go. There is indeed a grieving process. Spend you time reading on how to grieve constructively....this one is over.

Faire wrote:

I thought that misrepresenting your marriage papers WOULD BE A PROBLEM WHEN YOUR APPKY TO MARRY.

if VN  didn't care then why all the bureaucracy in Vietnam to ensure this does not happen with all the paperwork?

You said in another post that you are divorced. Now you are saying you are still married, make up your mind. It sounds like you are very bitter and cant let go. This is a forum for advice, not a place to vent your spleen.

Thank you ...you are right about moving on but hurting him and exposing him would really help lol me feel a sense of justice. He really got me , he stole from me and took twelve years of me and the business I started. He lied to me he lied to her and he lied to her family and he lied to the government. But no one cares cause they are living on the money he got from me.
He will hurt her too and already has by not being honest with her about his marriage to me and yes we were husband and wife  whether common law or not.... this forum has helped a lot.

Are you the same woman who plastered this all over Facebook awhile back?

Lady you are trying to blow smoke up are arses. Texas is a community property state> the property brought into the marriage by either party remains that persons property. Any property acquired during the marriage is jointly by both parties. He has every right to gamble the assets away while married and you have every right to divorce him because he does. He or you have the right to send the assets anywhere in the world. You both have the right to divorce if you do. You fight over all that should have happened before the court in Texas.
Your ex may not have known of the delay in the divorce being final and could easily argue that he did not. Is any court going to do anything about it. probably not. But there lies your beef. Go back to Texas and file a case that he remarried in Vietnam before it became final. Just know that Vietnam nor Texas recognizes each others divorce decrees.
And the BS that your laying awake at not worrying about the new Vietnamese wife/victim is pure BS. Your just an angry women that can not let go and all this concern on the forum is you venting. But here or in America you are free to file a case. So go hire a lawyer in each country and piss your money away.I bet in the end he is still not going to remarry you. Color this picture OVER.

Faire wrote:

Thank you ...you are right about moving on but hurting him and exposing him would really help lol me feel a sense of justice. He really got me , he stole from me and took twelve years of me and the business I started. He lied to me he lied to her and he lied to her family and he lied to the government. But no one cares cause they are living on the money he got from me.
He will hurt her too and already has by not being honest with her about his marriage to me and yes we were husband and wife  whether common law or not.... this forum has helped a lot.

As I thought from a few posts in, it's all about revenge. To be honest, you are just going to create more heartache for yourself, just try and move on.

This thread is clearly a problem and one poster is causing issues that are unwelcome.
Perhaps I could request we let this thread die by not posting any more.
One poster is taking a short holiday so will be unable to reply, at least for the moment.

He may not have intentionally misrepresented. But to answer your question it takes about 10 years to do the marriage registration in Vietnam. So relax, he probably is not married yet and the appeals period in Texas is long past and the divorce there is final. So now you can sleep well knowing him and the new wife are anxiously awaiting the birth of their new child and their happy future. See....now that was easy. Now we can let go and move on with our lives in the land of OZ.

I agree.  Ciambella and Vagabond done gave you the best advice

Cut your losses and move on.   Civil action will cost you an arm & leg

The best revenge is being successful in YOUR life

His?   Sounds like rinse & repeat.   He will lose (again)

Hopefully, you will gain from the knowledge          :top:

Faire wrote:

ASKED AND ANSWEREDnumerous times at this point.

Many people above have given you rally good, heart felt answers. Respect that.
Good luck and move one, please.