New in town [Ramallah]

Hey Guys,

I'm in Ramallah since a few days. I would love to get to know some people around here to go to the cinema, do some sports and to get to know the city. Maybe also travelling around in the West Bank.
I study in Germany and came here to conduct an Internship. I'm 26 years old. 
Maybe somebody is interested. :)

Kind regards

hello and welcome

call me at 0545 764546 I can give you some tips about life here.

Tamer

@Tamer > why calling you? and Why don't you give some useful tips here on the forum?

for sure Ill do that, if you have any specific question you can contact me here :>

hey

there is plenty of beautiful places in Ramallah you can discover, Restaurants , Coffee shops , Palestine Tower , .. etc .
there is goethe institute Ramallah , you can meet a good people there .

enjoy your stay in Ramallah = )

I hope you are enjoying yourself! I'm very nervous about my move. I have no idea what the cost of apartments might be, what kind of transportation is available, or if I can even find employment.
What have you discovered so far?

Hello Tamer!
I would call but have to reload my Skype or phone account as have used up all my credit trying to find an apartment and responding to job posts.
I am a teacher but will be happy with any job. Do you have any idea what salaries are like say for instance teachers, secretaries, administrative assistants? I'm qualified for these.
What about transportation? How will I get around?
What is a fair price for a "nice" apartment?
Sorry to bombard you but I'm so nervous about making a move with so little information.
Thank you!

Hello there,
The salaries for secretaries and administrative assistants i assume are near 500$ in mendium size companies. Sometimes lower. It depends on the company / association. There is no standard regarding the salaries, but they set a law for the min wage of nearly 300 in USD, which is low. For a teacher it will be better than 500. But the key here is to search within bigger organizations and companies, in this case you will find much better offers. Employers usually do not advertise the salary they are willing to pay, but leave all to negotiations with potentiel candidates. Seach in projects funded by international organizations and aids. And search german & french center and similars. And for teaching search in cultural centers and private schools. Sometimes you can find excellent offers.

The transportation is easy and simple; there is taxis (yellow caps) working by fixed amount like 10 shekels, or by counter. There is another type (nearly orange and moslty ford transit) whom working in a specific line form one place to another in the city, or between cities. And there is busses between cities. The last 2 have parkings working like stations in the city center area, or from Jerusalem bus station, and go towards their destinations. While the taxis are available everywhere, or you can call them and will be at your door in few minutes. Remember that distances are very short, the maximum distance could be reached in 10 to 15 minutes including the traffic, although Ramallah and AlBireh are 2 twin cities and merged, but very small.

For the apartments, a room in a shared apartment could cost about 250$. An apartment of 2 bedrooms can star form 600 - 700. Good apartments (well furnished and excellent level) could start form 1000$. All options i gave here are furnished and do not inlcude utitlties. I have one myself, its posted in Expat.com (link: https://www.expat.com/en/housing/middle … allah.html) if the link do not appear search here by having the destination: Palestine > Housing > Middle East > Palestine > For rent > Flats > Modern furnished apartment in ramallah. Also a friend of mine have a complex of villas where he rent rooms for foriegners as shared apartments. tell me what do you prefer.

Hope this is helful,
Best of luck
Ayman

Hello

well salaries vary depending to which city you will settle in, in west bank average salaries are about 500 - 600 dollars, maybe a little bit more for expatriates, in Jerusalem minimum wage is $1200. transportation is kinda cheap, 1$ for bus in in westbank, 2 $ in Jerusalem, and apartments .. you can say 500$ for a small furnished apartment in a good location, in Jerusalem it can be 900$ - 1000$.

hello call me when your free Ill show you around ramallah and jerusalem :)

You are so kind! This is exactly the kind of information that helps me stay excited about our move rather than nervous!
Thank you so very much!

Thank you Citizen T! I am so grateful that so many people have been so helpful!
I want to focus on the excitement of moving not my fears. You have helped make this possible!
:)

Thank you! I will take you up on that! We won't arrive for another few weeks (paperwork is endless!) But I will definitely contact you FIRST THING!!

Hi guys,

Recently moved to Palestine, from UK. Working in Ramallah. Living with another Brit. We're looking to meet new people, see new places, etc etc.
Also potentially looking for a third house mate/flat mate/room mate (depending on your dialect) if anyone is out on a limb.

Anyway, do get in touch.

Best wishes.