Becoming an expat.

hello everyone--i live in los angeles california, USA and am conplentating moving to the UK.  How hard is it to get a residential visa?  Im retired and have a steady monthly income.

Hello,
Unless you are married to an EU citizen it's impossible for a non-EU citizen to retire to the UK as there is no retirement visa. Your best bet is to investigate your ancestry and see if you can claim citizenship of an EU country. If you can then you have the right to live in any of the 27 member countries including the UK. The rules are different for each country - some demand a native-born parent, for some a grandparent will do, some go even further back. Good Luck.

"Paulsnurse",

I am also a retired US citizen (living in Santa Rosa, CA) and am considering moving to Europe, possibly England. Unless one has relatives in their destination country, the path doesn't seem to be an easy one. I am also considering Germany, Denmark and Holland - although it's my understanding that it can be difficult to make friends in these countries.  I do have some medical issues so I want to make sure I find a country that offers quality medical care. (Although others on this forum have suggested countries such as Spain, Greece, Croatia and Portugal, I have concerns about the quality of their medical care.) My primary reason for considering a relocation is because of the growing extremist conservative movement here in the US. Please keep me posted about your findings and I will do the same.

Jeffrey: [email protected]