Hi :) French who want to move to Madrid, but who can't speak spanish!

Hola a todos!
I am French, and after spending few time improving my in English in London, I am planning to go to Madrid to learn spanish... The thing is, I never learned spanish, only starting to get some bases with a book..
I have no plans for the following year, so was planning to go back to London next month, but today I don't feel like returning there, I need change..
Do you think there is a possibility for me to find a job in my situation? Any French who have been in the same situation?
I have a low-budget, and don't think I'll be able to hold more than 2-3 months with..! So need to find something quickly!

Pleeeaase :) Any tips?

Welcome on board jenn-h,

what kind of job are you looking for ? Situation is quite tough in Spain at the moment (a lot of unemployment)

Yes I know that it is not the best period sure.. Actually I am ready to do almost everything, I guess the best would be a job in which I don't need to speak spanish for the beguining, like for a french company, or in tourism.

Hi all!
I'm in the same situation , I'm a French girl living and studying in London since almost 2 years now and I move to Madrid the next week , I found a language school to learn spanish, I'm a very beginner as well. But I'm looking for a job too, I was working in London as nanny for a French / Australian family , so if I can find the same in Madrid , should be great , like a spanish or english speaker family. If someone knows some serious websites where I can put ads ...

Hi Bea0209!

Welcome on Expat-blog! :) You can put an ad in the Madrid classifieds > job section.

https://www.expat.com/en/classifieds/eu … in/madrid/

Good luck
Christine

Hi
i used to date a great girl and she was au pair.
She found her job through aupair-world.
It looks quite serious, and she was very happy with her hosting familly.

By the way i know that this is more time consuming and more specific but we are looking for junior in markets (investment banking) however a very good previous experience is needed

My friend that moved to Spain was in exactly the same situation. Before she moved she specifically looked at employement agencies that require english speakers. The unemployement rate is high and people seem to be struggling. But my friend told me that being that she was an English speaker there were quite a few oppurtunities to find work. Speaking English can actually be a bonus. She now works for a company that work closely with other companies in the UK (reason for english speaker required) and they wanted her to learn spanish as part of her job. I had a quick look on the web for job oppurtunities for english speakers and they definitely exist. But I suppose this also depends on what type of work you are looking for.

Be aware that the average yearly income in Spain is somewhat lower than that in London. And things are not that much cheaper, with exceptions of public transport. Which is the reason a lot of people live at home with their parents until they are 30 years old.

hello.
I am english and currently living in madrid. Ive found it hard to get a job as i can only speak basic spanish...and money is runnin out. I think its best to look on forums etc really

I'd suggest finding a job as a French teacher at an academy. Experience not required. There is a good one near La Plaza de Colón that I know of that you could contact, Club Ivy clubivy.com/colaborar/ Good Luck!!

Hello,

it's amazing how many people are in the same situation:) I'm french, leaving in Paris and have to move to Madrid at the beginning of october. I don't speak spanich but Italian, german and English, and I can read and understand spanish without too many difficulties.

I find it quite hard to get a job in madrid, even as a foreign language assistant, btw @ micik : is your advice still worthy now ?

and @gomadrid: do you have further details on how your friend has found her job and so on ???
thank you for your help !!

A friend of mine asked me if I could find a student job (un stage, una becaria) for his daughter. I tried a lot of my profesional connections but this is not what I would recommand: 400 euros max and experience = 0 (I mean, except answering phones and opening letters). Not to mention spanish 'latin lovers' asking me if she was pretty.

Then, she discovered in the english university where she was studying that there was a program for english lecturers in spanish schools. A lot of spanish schools are private (catholic) and english lessons or english lecturers are considered a 'plus' by parents. So I know there are always some opportunities there. Also, the income will be better than a student job and more time available too.

Now, I suppose it is better if your spanish is fluent.
I do not know really if there are web-sites or forums that can help you on this, I believe these schools are in contact with universities to find people, but trying to call them might work.

Hope it helps

Hi
whare r u living?