Living in Cook Islands

Hi.
My family is considering moving to the Cook Islands from California, USA. We have a business where we would not need a job on the island. On the Cook Island website, I see how an entry permit is for 31 days. I see how it can be extended for 6 months. I see where permanent residency is attained after 10 years. But how easy/difficult is it to live on the Cook islands for 2, 3, or 5 years? For example, my 14-year-old son would need to attend school. Is that possible? What kind of permits/requirements do we need to meet?

What if we stayed for up to six months, left and came back, and then stay another six months, and did that several times? Does that work?

Also would my son be allowed to attend school that way? Or would he have to be a permanent resident to attend school?

I havent received any response from the Cook Island Immigration department when I emailed them.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Dan

DanSioux wrote:

Hi.
My family is considering moving to the Cook Islands from California, USA. We have a business where we would not need a job on the island. On the Cook Island website, I see how an entry permit is for 31 days. I see how it can be extended for 6 months. I see where permanent residency is attained after 10 years. But how easy/difficult is it to live on the Cook islands for 2, 3, or 5 years? For example, my 14-year-old son would need to attend school. Is that possible? What kind of permits/requirements do we need to meet?

What if we stayed for up to six months, left and came back, and then stay another six months, and did that several times? Does that work?

Also would my son be allowed to attend school that way? Or would he have to be a permanent resident to attend school?

I havent received any response from the Cook Island Immigration department when I emailed them.

Thanks so much for your assistance!

Dan

Hi
The regulations to acquire permission to live in the Cook Islands is that you need to either buy a existing business or start a new one. If your current business is such that you can run it from Cook Islands I guess you can just start a business where you incorporate your current business inside as a way to pay your income tax in CI instead of CA.
Oh, by the way, that would most probably give you a tax break as well because max income tax in CI is 30%.
Take a look at my other post https://www.expat.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=100219 about the taxes.

As for school I would try mailing the ministry of education. I replaced the @ sign with a # in order to not give opportunities to spam robots. spaio#education.gov.ck

Hi Dan,

Welcome on board.

A new topic has been created with your post on the Cook Islands. ;)
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hi magnus > thank you for your contribution.