Language requirement before coming to Denmark

Hi Guys,

I am planning to move to Denmark in September for work (under the Danish Green Card scheme) and was just wondering if any of know of the requirements?
I know there is no formal prerequisite, but Danish can definitely help to settle in sooner.

Since in the city I am living in does not have much to offer with regards to Danish lessons, it would be of great help if you are aware of some websites/portals where I can find some study materials?

Also, if you have taken up Danish Level 1 exam, any materials, your experiences, challenges would help me greatly.

Looking forward to your helpful suggestions.

Thanks and regards,
Harshith

Hi,

You can always apply for free Danish Lessons as soon as you have the CPR Number (Danish Personal Identification number) but you can look this site memrise.com/.

Cheers,
Daniel

Hi Daniel,

Really appreciate your response and guidance.
I read up a little bit about CPR number as well. So after 3 months of stay, i can apply for a CPR number and then i can take up Danish classes.

Thanks a lot for your advice.
Much appreciated.
Thanks,
Harshith

Hi there

If you plan to live in Copenhagen, almost everyone speaks english (on request) its not the same case in other cities.However in order to find a professional job you must know Danish...The government gives you an opportunity to learn Danish for free within the first 3 years of recieving your valid resident permit. They also supply all the reading material...so there is no need to study the language in India...in fact its a total waste if time and money...you can read more about this in newtodenmark.dk...hope this helps.

Best.😊😨

Thanks Gopal :) Really appreciate it..

Hi doctordk,

Thanks for your insightful reply. I do understand that it is important for jobs and I did want to do some bit of homework from my side before coming :)

Indeed, I feel it would be waste of money and time when the facility is offered by the Government for free!
I have noted this point.
I did find some courses online if anyone is interested.
Pimsleur is a very good method.
Youtube has many resources as well.

Appreciate your responses.

Its good you have found a good place to start getting a feel for Danish . Just be sure the language is being taught by a Danish national, else it could be possible that what you are learning will not be understood by the Danes at all! :)  pronunciation is all important in Danish.
All the best!

Regards
Dr.DK.

Hi Dr. DK,

Thank you. Of course. ;) I might know the words but if i do not pronounce it right, obviously people wont understand :)

I am just doing a basic homework of some of the basic words which I may encounter in my daily life, exchanging pleasantries, etc.

I did make a note of your advise. Thanks again,
Cheers,
Harshith

You are most welcome. All the best. Most important is to learn the numbers..helps when you go to shops and ask prices! Hope yu feel welcoome when you come :)

Best.