Soyo and the local knowledge

Hi All,

I have been asked about a position in Soyo.

I have been to Angola before but in Luanda, was ok there, no bad experiences.

The details are sketchy that i'm getting so thought i would try here and as some of the blogs are a few months old I'm wanting to get a more up to date image.

I asked the employers the following questions but they were lacking in details so here goes.

What's accommodation like ?
Food ?
Net access in the accommodation ?
Medical facilities ?
Access to Soyo from Luanda ?
Most importantly, the local attitude ?

What's accommodation like ?
This is a tough question because it depends on where you stay.  I am staying in a nice but simple Hotel Called M'Pampa and I like it better than my stay in Luanda.  Again. It can vary wildly in Soyo.
Food ?
Restaurants are very few. Prices are cheaper than Luanda but you would not want to go out every day.  Are you staying at Bechtel or some local Guest house.  That would really dictate the quality and type of food you get.  Most food is a strong Portuguese fusion influence with Angolan, American, British thrown in.
Net access in the accommodation ?
Most accommodation locations have fair Net Access
Medical facilities?
Only Decent Med Facilities are on Kwanda Base and Bechtel Base.
Access to Soyo from Luanda ?
You can drive 10-12 hours on dirt roads or fly just about every day 2-3 flights takes about 35 minutes.
Most importantly, the local attitude?
I feel much safer here than in Luanda.  All in all it is pleasant.

There are a lot of contractors in Soyo plus big oil.  Depending on whom you work for your experience will be varied.  If you gave me more details I could give you a better answer.

Hello there i am in soyo to....