Expat Americans represent America well

It is said people will see who you are (i.e. our dress and way we carry yourself) before they hear what you have to say.  I think as Americans we owe it to our country to represent her well. I look at some of the way Americans dress and the way they carry themselves in the Philippines. The way some Americans look and way they smell does not represent the USA well. I am a man so, I am speaking to men. Men take time to look in the mirror before you leave home. Comb your hair, If you bald shave your head,shave your face, wash your face, take a bath, dress appropriately (i.e. does your clothing match?), put on some deodorant. I understand not dressing with expensive things to be a target. But to go from one extreme to the other isn't good.

I am an american and a retired U. S. Marine. Many Americans have died in wars to give americans the right to be proud of wearing the title of American. Please represent our country better than what you are!!!!!

Hello Wayne,

You must have been one Hell of a courageous US Marine in your time, because that certainly was one Hell of a courageous statement you made to your fellow Americans!!! Sad to say it also applies to my fellow Canadians too and many other nationalities, not only there but in every corner of the globe.

I think it is even more pronounced in developing nations where it also extends to the attitude we put across too. Many expats are seen as arrogant, self-righteous and overly impressed with their own superiority in many of these nations. Yet, in most cases these are the very same individuals that complain the longest and loudest about not being accepted or even liked by the local population. I think that we shouldn't only show that we're proud of our homelands, but we should act in a way that would make our homelands proud of us too.

OMG, I must really be getting old because every word you said made perfect sense to me!!! I think I just scared myself!   (BTW, I'm 65 next month  :top: )

Cheers,
William James Woodward, EB Experts Team

Wayne 07 wrote:

It is said people will see who you are (i.e. our dress and way we carry yourself) before they hear what you have to say.  I think as Americans we owe it to our country to represent her well. I look at some of the way Americans dress and the way they carry themselves in the Philippines. The way some Americans look and way they smell does not represent the USA well. I am a man so, I am speaking to men. Men take time to look in the mirror before you leave home. Comb your hair, If you bald shave your head,shave your face, wash your face, take a bath, dress appropriately (i.e. does your clothing match?), put on some deodorant. I understand not dressing with expensive things to be a target. But to go from one extreme to the other isn't good.

I am an american and a retired U. S. Marine. Many Americans have died in wars to give americans the right to be proud of wearing the title of American. Please represent our country better than what you are!!!!!

Wayne, I think you have forgotten what America is all about..."Freedom" and if he or she doesn't want to wear deodorant, wear baggy clothes, have facial hair or religiously takes a bath once a month that is an Americans freedom to do as they wish...Look around you in the Philippines...You see nothing but filth, trash in the streets, mismatched clothes, men without shirts everywhere, beggars, street whores, filthy sidewalk vendors who would wash your dish in rainwater, dirty faces and bodies...Do you really think you and your focus on personal hygiene has any impact on them...COME'ON GET REAL!!!! Live and let live...The most important thing as an American in any country is to respect those peoples and their cultures...If you do that, they could care less how you dress or carry yourself...I'm talking about the masses not the so called Elitist who exploit there own people...They are a whole different story...

Role models are a valuable thing. Someone who is poor will find it very hard to listen to you, if you are just as poor as they are.  We need role models. Why not be a role model for Filipino people. I say again, people will see who and what you are before they listen to you. I am not a political figure. I came out of poverty and know what inspired me to have better. I

Say what you want. Being clean setting a example for other make sense to me!!!

Wayne 07 wrote:

If they had no pride in themselves in the US, they won't here.  I have a beard that is neatly trimmed. But I think those that care get the message, the others will delete it.  Thanks for your service

Jim and Terry
Silang

I have lived in the Philippines and our hygiene is important... at least to decent Filippina woman. Even in the Provinces they are proud of their cleanliness...and yes I know not everyone is that way, but the ones you might want to meet certainly are

There are a lot of health issue with bad hygiene as well. Thank you! I am glad to be an American! And I want to represent her well. I maybe the only American some filipino's may see in person. I want them to think well of America and my culture.

I think it wise when you leave the house to look in the mirror. And ask yourself, am I presenting the current image of how I want people to see and think of myself, my country and my culture (I. E. black, Spanish etc..,)?

You will be surprise by the way people treat you based on the way you look, smell and dress.