Tourist Type Visas and Extensions

I have heard a number of stories about Tourist type Visas. I understand a 3 month visa is avail with two 30 day extensions. Is that correct now? Also, if my visa is expiring is it OK to travel across border to Cambodia or Laos, remain a couple hrs and then return to Vietnam bordergate and acquire a new 90 day visa?
I cant seem to get the info on this matter. I plan on living in Vietnam without working so dont need a work permit. I am at retirement age and already have lodging, etc.
Any help is appreciated

Have you tried travel agencies in the backpackers area in D.1.?  What I have heard is that you can get 3 month extensions 3 times. But some places have told me more..It's kinda hard to find out what is true. It is around $60 for a single entry and $80 for multiple entry for 3 months. Some places will want to charge you double if they can for the same thing. Have you renewed you visa yet?

But the visa extensions are always changing since the rules are always changing. I also need to renew my visa soon, I have tried calling to get information. But the number either doesn't work or they tell me I have called the wrong place. I will have to go there in person to settle this problem.

You will get a visa upon arrival ($25) in Cambodia. If you just go there the bus ride there is $10. It takes about 6-7 hours to get there. I think you should spend at least a day there it is very tiresome go there and come right back.  Since you will be there anyways you might as well enjoy some of Cambodia. That place has a lot of history that not many people know about.

Since you are going out of the country and coming back I don't think it should be a problem. You should ask them anyways to be sure. Let them know that you want a 3 month visa hen you come back wand make sure they understand. If you need more help let me know. I am also going though this problem. I will probably go down there sometime next week. If I find out anything else I will let you know.

I have visited Vietnam 3 times so far and quite enjoy the Cam Ranh area of Khanh Hoa Province on the coast since it is somewhat rural and far less crowded. It is a beautiful place and I would like to stay in Vietnam for an extended period. These Visa rules seem to change from place to place in Vn and whom you speak to. Frustrating to worry about a Visa, where to go to get it renewed, etc. I have heard going into Cambodia and then returning is fairly simple to get a new Visa. I would want to acquire a 3 month visa of course and equally long extensions would be nice. My retirement is coming soon and I think Vietnam a great place to live with its cost of living so low. I spent 4 yrs in Vn during the war as a soldier and always found the people so gracious and friendly. My ex-pat friend already lives in Ban Me Thuot area too.

Hello again,

Below are some websites that will help. I was wrong about some of the cost in my earlier post. I called, search and found this:

http://www.vietnam-visa.com/blog/vietna … -services/http://vietnam.usembassy.gov/acs_visacl … ation.htmlhttp://www.myvietnamvisa.com/vietnam-visa-cost.html

I have found there are so many different rules that various Vn gov agencies apply. Much depends on whether you are living in HCM City as the other provinces seem to run differently. In most cases it seems travelling into Cambodia and then returning to Vn is the best way to renew a Visa, esp a 3 month type. If I can avoid getting only 30 day extensions it saves a hassle to get a new Visa of 90 days or more.
My ex-pat US friend lives in Ban Me Thuot area and has been able to get 90 day renewals each time and has lived there for well over a year but each time has dealt with gov agencies in HCM City. Of course he has a Viet friend who does the travelling to/from HCM which may well help his situation.

Hi:
I like to know too because I like to retire in Hanoi ! I am in Beijing-China now.In China one can convert its tourist Visa to a business visa(even if you don't have to work).All you need is a local business letter.Then you apply for a 6 months stay without leaving China.After the first 6 months, you reapply again.There are special visa agents in Beijing that can take care A-Z  at a cost around $700US.
Regarding your idea to go to Laos, you can only come back to VN if you have a multiple reentry visa.This is my understanding.

Actually what I was speaking of is to leave Vn near the expiration of my Visa and then return to the bordergate approx 24 hrs later where I then would request a new tourist entry visa with it lasting 90 days. If this is done then I would be able to first get two 30 day extensions of a 90 day tourist visa. That would give me a total of 5 months length. I hear of ex-pats getting 90 day extensions of their tourist visas also but requires a visit to HCM city. This visa thing is so complicated and the local rules seem to change with location.

If you can, find "THE ROUGH GUIDE to VIETNAM" at a library.Read page 35 on "red tape and visas".

ok... nothing is as it seems, or you will be told along the way.. i know i am once again here in VN. once you get here you will need to apply for a 5 yr. spouse visa...that is good for 5 yrs. an can be renewed..you may return to the states or viist and return to , from any country, for the life of the visa. then you have a couple of options, 1 you can work under the table as alot of people do, teaching english.. or you can find a real job, most will require a degree in some field. if you go the route, the company hireing you will do the paperwork to get you a work visa etc...thats the long an short of it good luck.
kevin

Kevin,  did you get the website address for the map I sent? Also did you get my sister-in-law's Cam Ranh address and cel phone number for contact?
Keep in touch

Vern