Banos visit June/July

We are staying in Banos Mid-June to Mid-July.
We would appreciate any and all info about Banos.
What to see, do, eat, watch out for, what NOT to do. Clothing?
We are exploring to see what might fit us for retirement.
Too save time... We don't climb, hike or bar hop.
Love food, people, music and working on our Spanish.
Thanks in advance,
Micheal & Janet

Comfortable socks padded, two walking shoes used before, layered clothes, bring little soap packs, own tooth paste, deordorant, little umbrelles that fold up you will forget them and be glad you have an extra,  little  weight short jacket, light weight back pack for camera, note pack, etc , have calling cards made up with your cell #, email # and name why because you will be writing it down for everyone you meet this why you just hand out your card simple, at least 2 hats for each of you light weight but keeps the sun off your face but wind blows hats right of your head.  These plantation hats are great but a breeze comes by and they are gone no good need a hat you can pack and has a string.  Start immediately practicing your Converstion Spanish immediately Halo, Garcia, Hasta Leuga, all the common sayings so you can get around How much? good one in Spanish.  Coffee Café Augwa Water see on your way....It takes to years to know a culture and it is very difficult.  This is not America remember that.  if you move here it takes 90 days to get your Cedula Card and you will have to be very organized.  Do not have your paper work turn into Spanish in the uSA they like their Spanish better have it done here if you move here warning.  I don't care what they say on different sights they like it better here.  There are different types of Spanish  Also throw in your back pack a pad of paper and toilet paper you will understand when you come and thank me.

Great tips  SMMR!
Anybody else?

Banos visit? Luck you! :)

I spent seven weeks in Banos this summer. I spent a month there, then left, then decided to go back to Banos for another 3 weeks because I missed it so much. I can definitely see living in Banos one day if I'm lucky.

If you don't hike or barhop, then I don't know that I'm the best person to tell you things to do. :)  There are tons of cool activities for adventurous people to experience. Rafting, ziplining, parasailing, and the natural hot spring baths. You can rent a mountain bike for $7 a day.  There are trout farms in the mountains nearby and someone will take you in the back of a pickup truck for a tour to feed the fish. I was lucky to see the volcano erupt one night. Fire flew from the top and the rumbling sounded like a bunch of commercial jets flying over. I heard there's a little zoo somewhere right outside of town, but I didn't make it there. Walk down to the bus station to the "puenting bridge" and watch crazy Gringos jump off tied to a rope. It's the most beautiful spot in town, and I walked there daily just to enjoy the gorgeous scenery.

Tons and tons of eating options in Banos. They have very nice food for such a small town. I don't know how some Ecuadorans figured out how to make a killer pizza, but I had some pizza in Banos that would rival anything in NYC. I forget the name of one nicer sort of restaurant on the square, but a little hole-in-the-wall restaurant by the bar areas named Garfield's has $6 large pizzas that are phenomenal. The sign has the orange cat on it. Across the street is a good Mexican place called "A Lo Mero Mero." It was the only Mexican shop in Ecuador I could find that has authentic Mexican food. The owner told me he lived in Mexico for 7 years with his dad. I had a nice fondue at the Swiss place with the Swiss flag on the sign. I forget the name. Go sit upstairs on a nice day. It's open air and very pleasant up on the roof. Go to the market in the mornings for breakfast. For $1.50 to $2, you get a huge plate of eggs, sausage, cheesy potato cakes, rice, avocado, and a bit of salad. While at the market, people will all sit together, so don't be surprised when someone else sits at your table. There is a little old lady outside the market that has guinea pigs roasting on a stick on the weekends if you're a bit adventurous. I also had Chinese food, burgers, fries, pig's balls, and whatever else you might desire.

It's a lovely town with wonderful, welcoming people. The National Police academy is in Banos, so you will see lots of young officers walking around the parks. But I never saw them shake anyone down or bother anybody. They seem content to keep the peace and leave the citizens to their business. The town is super safe, and in my 7 weeks there, I heard not one traveler say they'd had anything stolen or any problems with anyone. If you think about it, the town's economy mostly exists for tourists, and the local citizenry won't allow any crime against tourists if they can help it. A shop owner told me one day that the business owners and locals will run any trouble makers out of town if they get wind of anyone messing with the tourists.

There are very cheap Spanish class options available. I don't remember the name of the school I attended, but the Italian owner named Giulia is an excellent teacher who charges $5 an hour per person. It's such a small town, just ask for the Italian lady named Giulia, and someone can point you to her. She also teaches English to the local school children and she had me speak English to them one day so they could hear an American accent. :)

I'm envious that you're getting to go to Banos. I truly love that little town and will make it back one day, hopefully for good, if life allows it. Please post about your trip. There are very cheap little internet cafes all over town. Happy travels!

Micmac Brandon's conversation and details about Banos was great fantastic.  Now I live in Cuenca and it is totally different style of life I would not be happy with night live and lots of long distance walking.  I don't like boating I don't mind walking but not long distance walking.  And I am not into public spa baths mostly because I am always concerned about bacteria and parasite's.  in spite of people not wanting to discuss these issues in any country I spent 2 weeks in a hospital and they are issues to think about.  Which is why you want to come with altitude pills and if you start going the bathroom and can not stop take your pills your dr gives you from the states.  You come with both sets of pills from the usa because both issues can crop up fast be prepared.  If you don't need them great tuck them away.  But Brandon brought up a great style of life when I was 40, 50 but not at 60 70 or 80 wrong town.  Best medical is in Cuenca if you need it not in Banos.  Boating and other things night life and bar hoping is not exactly what I am looking for.  Health etc I want it available and transportation when I need it day or night fast.
Lots of people in my tub no.  Now groups of us go to Peru and enjoy the beach that is nice but we want our luxuries now just a few not too expensive.  We are here to get the Low cost of Living but we want to enjoy but not endanger our lives if you understand my jest.  Things to think about ...different strokes for different folks...rent a while don't buy no fast moves

Brandon & SMMR
Thank you for the GREAT info.
We are pretty laid back and are looking for the small town kind of feel.
We love the food info! The Spanish school too!
I think my days of exciting sports is are gone. But I love moderate walks and seeing the sites.
A local cafe, a good cup of coffee and meeting the locals is what I crave.
You have both given me some great ideas.
Micheal

Since you like cafes, there are two cool cafes in town with nice atmospheres called Casa Hood and Cafe Hood. The two are not affiliated. I think the story was that the owners used to be married and then each ended up with a restaurant after splitting. Cafe Hood was a nice spot that I visited several times. There's a little bench area outside on the sidewalk right by the park. I would go by to drink beer and have a snack, but there were coffee-goers there also. The owner's name is Ivan (E-vahn), and he's a cool fellow. He's Italian and knows Giulia the Spanish teacher. They told me there are 3 Italians in Banos and they all, of course, know each other well. The Casa Hood is also pretty cool with eclectic foods and bookshelves if you wanna read with your coffee.

If you miss having American food, the Stray Dog Brew Pub sits prominently on the square. The owner is from Chicago and a very accommodating fellow. Everyone in our group really enjoyed their meals. The calamari and shrimp were excellent, and an Englishman said the fish and chips rivaled anything he's had in England which is a nice compliment.

I never made it up to the Cafe del Cielo which sits way atop a ridge by the city, but people said it was a really pretty spot. They have like 35 blends of coffee or some such selection. Taxis are very cheap around town, by the way.

Banos is just several blocks big in any direction, so it's really easy just to walk around until you see an interesting spot. Another thing I really loved was that after I'd been there a few weeks, the locals would recognize me around town. They'd say "Hey, Brandon!" and wave as I walked though. You're going to have a really wonderful vacation.

Now were talkin' Brandon!
Good food and coffee!
I'm getting more excited by the day!

I've been to Banos twice and really love the atmosphere and scenery!  Since you're not into climbing or hiking (neither are we), consider renting an ATV, dune buggy or jeep.  Our best days in Banos were spent riding around.  The jeep-like vehicle is most expensive, but it's most like riding in a regular car and has all the power needed climb the mountains around town.  We took it to a nearby town called Patate and rode all around the farm roads - beautiful!  You can rent these vehicles by the hour (they will discount if you rent for several hours, just ask).  Can't remember the name of the place, but you'll see them lined up on the road.  There is a woman who speaks English and is really helpful.  In December, the ATVs were $15/hour, buggies $20, and jeeps $25. 
Also agree with the other post about Stray Dog Brew Pub - surprisingly good food, not just a beer joint. 
Have fun in Banos!

Thanks so much! I love the idea of going for a drive. That must be how people get up above the city like in so many photos you see.
The Pub sound good too!
Micheal

Make sure you go one the Waterfall route or Ruta de las cascadas. You can go on with a tour group for $6 a person. Its beautiful. Horseback riding is another one of our favorite. This is our favorite place to get breakfast Rico Pan eatsleepliveecuador.com/cafe-ricooo-pan-banos-ecuador/

Thanks!
My wife just asked last night how we could  go see the waterfalls! Thanks for the tip. $6 what a deal!
I olok forward to checking out the link for Rico Pan.
Micheal

Does anyone have recommendations on which shots and vaccinations are necessary?
The US Gov website would have you looking like a pin cushion! lol

Micmax,

I'm not going to either recommend or not recommend any vaccines for anyone. As I'm not a doctor, that would be akin giving you advice on what stocks to invest in or how to handle your real estate. Those are personal decisions, right?

But personally, I had no vaccines. During my career with the government, they gave me all sorts of injections that I never kept up with. I have no idea what they were or how long they last, etc. But I'm a reasonably healthy 40 y/o guy, so I just winged it.

Some people in Banos had taken the malaria pills that are recommended by their governments because they intended to travel to Puyo (which is the edge of the jungle about 60km from Banos).  But there is no jungle or rarely even mosquitoes in Banos. And the travelers I met were dubious that they'd taken malaria pills after having gone to the jungle in Puyo because malaria there is almost non-existent and the side effects of the malaria pills outweighed the benefits of dodging a disease that is extremely rare in this part of Ecuador.

Yes, if you read the State Department's recommendations for almost any country, they'll make it sound as if you're about to visit a war zone rivaling Somalia and will be running from warlords, drug traffickers, awful maladies, and corruption. But I wonder how the State Department would describe the cities of Memphis, St. Louis, Detroit, or Miami if they had to?

If I can be helpful without recommending (again, I'm not a doctor), I would personally bring some Imodium, Ibuprofen, Tums, Pepto Bismol, extra prescription contacts/glasses, and get a doctor to prescribe some Cipro (antibiotic) just in case you get a cut or some bad stomach thingie going on. You will likely get the runs at some point whether you drink the water or not. It's a fact of life no matter what new part of the world you travel to. And most importantly, I will actually give you this as advice... always carry some toilet paper in your pocket. The public bathroom options are iffy (there are no Wendy's to use the loo), and you'll want to have backup tissues if you have an emergency. Hopefully you won't be hanging out with three hot English girls in Old Town Quito when a poo emergency happens to you, but I digress. :)

Now, after all the scary stuff has been discussed, you're 99.9% likely not going to have malaria or polio or any other horrible malady while you're there besides an upset tummy or sore legs from walking too much. :)  But it's always good to have what you need, just in case.

Cheers!