Anyone living in Assam?

Hi,

I am a middle aged English bloke, contemplating on moving to India. That big country in south Asia that Britain once had as a colony. Any of you live or have been to Dibrugarh? When seeing photos it looks like a clean modern moderate sized city by Indian standards. I've heard there is an upsurge of crime and violence in Assam, with the Bangladeshi illegals crossing the border. If crime is that bad there it seems a shame. I for one have never yet been to India, what puts me off is the overcrowding, the bright dresses, the painted faces, the statues depicting someone with 8 arms, the haggling, buses brightly painted with 20 or so different colours etc. I like a moderate amount of culture and exotic things, but we are now in the 21st century. The India that would appeal to me is the wildlife, the tea plantations, the hill country, the cricket, the variety of different regional peoples and of course the food.
I currently work in mechanical engineering, but what does it take to get into the tea industry in north east India, I know a few organisations provide a 2-3 week work experience on a tea estate for volunteers. Have any of you work or have been on a tea farm in India?
Thanks

Will from south London

Hi pal ,

I have gone through your mail. From a very superficial understanding of what you wrote, I will suggest you to move to Coorg area, its also plantation area. Like you said, a not so crowded with a polished culture etc, is what you get in Coorg. The climate is very great and access to the rich wildlife etc.

So Google a bit about coorg, pondicherry etc.

Just a suggestion for you. :)

@ Will
Hi,
I am from Assam but far away from Dibrugarh city. It is not so disturbed as it seems to be because of infilteration. You can ofcourse visit Dibrugarh if you already have some connections or any reference. Darjeeling in West Bengal would also be a good place in India in terms of Tea Estates and scenic beauty. My emai address is [email protected]

hello !

I am dr. chandan baruah from guwahati, assam.although dibrugarh is far away from my place, it is not that disturbed as you might have heard. you can very well visit the place. do write to me for any more info you want.

chandan

Thanks for your reply. What is it like for potential expats to find work in Assam?

Could you be a little more elaborative with regards to your query? This would help us answer you in more precise way. It depends more on the kind of Work Permit one has.

Hi Will,  What really makes me feel bad about is, people having wrong concept of India,if someone wants to know a place better one should experience it by being there physically .
India is a land of diversity which one will never find anywhere in this planet. East or West , India is the best,you will experience both Heaven as well as Hell.    Be my guest.