Trouble for Spaniards in Oslo

I thought this might be of interest to some people. I see in the newspaper today that unemployment is increasing in Oslo, and apparently this is causing a lot of problems for Spaniards coming to find work. Unemployment in this group has increased by 70% in the past year. People from Lithuania and Poland are also struggling according to the article. The reasons seem to be a lack of ability to speak and understand Norwegian as well as people coming from Spain tending to lack the skills required in the Norwegian Economy.

You can get the article here: http://www.osloby.no/nyheter/Arbeidsinn … l5Y7VASbzY

It's a sad situation, that people from other countries are coming to Norway with no knowledge of the language and (apparently) no support group of compatriots. It seems stupid, but I suppose it must be desperation - combined, perhaps, with a belief that the tender-hearted Norskies won't let them starve.

I think Norway has a bit of a mythical reputation abroad, where people think there are no problems, the streets are paved with gold and everyone speaks English. They then get a shock when they arrive and find out that's not how it works. There is some help available, but it must be a miserable life to be here without a job or support network. As you say, I think these people are desperate so perhaps aren't thinking it through.

Somebody told me (I can't recall who) that the free classes in learning Norwegian are no longer available, Is that true, dmcart? They were (are?) sponsored by selected communas, I think. That would be important information for newcomers.

Ten years ago I sat in on two of the lessons, while visiting my son. I gave them a C grade for helpfulness. I then invested in a very expensive Berlitz course, which got an F grade - fail!

Free classes are only for foreigners outside the EU.

That's my understanding too. I also knew some people who got free classes because they said they were married to a Norwegian, although I think they were also from outside of the EU.

There was another article in the paper yesterday on the same topic as this thread, saying that too many people are arriving from Europe with no idea of what they're going to do here. They then end up on the streets and standing in line to try to get food handouts. Apparently a lot of them regret ever coming to Norway. It's really tragic. I hope this website can help to prevent people from falling into the same trap.