Attack in Cuenca

It was the PT Cruiser that caused this to escalate!

ZenSPIKE wrote:

Actually, it originated from Benjamin Disraeli

Can you prove that? I have one beer on the bet that says you cannot.  :)

Judee wrote:

Mark Twain said... "Lies, damn lies and statistics"... nothing about liars... however he may have stole it.

The quote I like best attributed to Twain about statistics is... "The problem with statistics is that most people use them the way a drunk uses a lamp post... more for support than illumination"... ha.

Cheers,

Judy

'Brilliant', thank you, professor.

Yesterday in Ocala FL, a city of about 100,000 people, there were two murders, five home invasions, several arrests for domestic abuse, an old lady robbed in a Walmart parking lot, some arrests for meth, etc.  Sort of makes Cuenca look rather peaceful.

No Sir,
I cannot. It seems a rather fuzzy situation. It was widely attributed to Disraeli, but, never found in any of his writings.
But what the hell, a beers only a buck, I'll just buy you one!
Stay Well,
Neil
Ps. I was going to add that info in my original post, but neglected to.

ZenSPIKE wrote:

No Sir,
I cannot. It seems a rather fuzzy situation. It was widely attributed to Disraeli, but, never found in any of his writings.
Stay Well,
Neil

Hehe... I knew that going in, and set you up!  :)

I'll look forward to having that beer. Second one's on me!

Given that reporting such events to the police is a waste of time it is unlikely that accurate statistics on their occurance exist.  Maybe there should be a separate thread on this forum where reports could be posted, and which would prohibit replies so we could get "just the facts".  Maybe that would help achieve a better perspective on the frequency, type, and location, etc.

Howardofocal wrote:

Given that reporting such events to the police is a waste of time it is unlikely that accurate statistics on their occurance exist.  Maybe there should be a separate thread on this forum where reports could be posted, and which would prohibit replies so we could get "just the facts".  Maybe that would help achieve a better perspective on the frequency, type, and location, etc.

http://latinamericacurrentevents.com/cu … -13/29316/http://www.gringosabroad.com/where-are- … as-cuenca/

Well, what I actually had in mind was a way to gather reports of attacks on expats in a consolidated manner.  Right now it seems that whenever there is a report of a crime against an expat it gets blown way out of proportion and the next thing you see is the same story being retold over and over until it looks like several different events took place.

James,
I sniffed out the set up.  The "PROVE" alerted me.;)
I might be dumb, but I ain't stupid.
So, if you buy the 2nd, I'll have to buy the 3rd just to get back to even! I look forward to it.
Stay Well,
Neil

ZenSPIKE wrote:

No Sir,
Stay Well,
Neil

Knew there was a reason I bought, and am building in Panama. My beers only cost 60 cents. Geez $1 beers, maybe one day I can afford to play with the high rollers in Cuenca.

jajajajajajaja!!!! < grin >

Hey Neil, i think one day we are going to be good friends. It's only an intuition. I look forward to that. I will try to own up to the concept.
Cheers!
James

It will be an onerous task, but I grow on ya! I look forward to it as well.
Best Regards,
Neil

Except here in the US it usually involves a gun.

Here's some good advice about staying safe in Ecuador:

http://yourescapetoecuador.com/travel/s … n-ecuador/

Have your real purse under your jacket - makes it a lot harder to snatch.  Drop bags can be helpful, too.

I want in on this!

I'll buy the tenth round.

If somebody wakes me up.

LeftClique wrote:

I want in on this!

If somebody wakes me up.

LOL..i think after ten drinks, we would be out in the back yard trying to build something, after first drawing on a napkin of course, or a shingle.

From what I have read, It doesn't sound like the police would show up, even if you killed the guy.

Neil.  Off topic but between James, myself and any others. You may be a long time drawing a sober breath.
      Bryan

you people are hilarious and also make a lot of sense.  Common sense, due diligence and if you are still afraid. Don't go. I have traveled, worked and stayed in much worse places and never had a problem. Going to Cuenca in Feb for 2.5 months and not nervous at at all.

We lived in Boise, Idaho. One to two murders a year for a population of 120,000 Americans (back in 1996).

We live in Flagstaff now. One or two murders a year for a town of around 60,000 Americans.

One murdered American a year out of 4000 Americans is not good. Sure, it's not Baghdad, but it's not good.

Apparently you live in very safe cities.  I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, in Berkeley.  Oakland is literally across the street from me.  They are a city of 400,000 (same as Cuenca) and had 134 murders in 2012.

Sounds like Cuenca is pretty safe to me...

stick1947 wrote:

From what I have read, It doesn't sound like the police would show up, even if you killed the guy.

It depends on who calls the police.

Stick,
Have you noticed how I have kinda driven it to me getting free beer? Forgive me, I'm an Irishman in South America!!!! Go figure. < grin >
Cheers,
Neil

Hi,

I just read your post about the assault and robbery. That makes me scared and concern about moving there. I am a single lady alone in my fifties. I am fleeing crime and oppression here in America. I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire -if you know what I mean. :nothappy:

Do you think someone like myself should chose Cuenca for a retirement location?

James-Esq wrote:
LeftClique wrote:

I want in on this!

If somebody wakes me up.

LOL..i think after ten drinks, we would be out in the back yard trying to build something, after first drawing on a napkin of course, or a shingle.

You guys are in over your heads. Did you see Neil mention he's Irish? An Irishman is never drunk, as long as he can hold onto a blade of grass, and not fall of the face of the earth.

j600rr wrote:
James-Esq wrote:
LeftClique wrote:

I want in on this!

If somebody wakes me up.

You guys are in over your heads. Did you see Neil mention he's Irish? An Irishman is never drunk, as long as he can hold onto a blade of grass, and not fall of the face of the earth.

Now that is funny. Did i mention that my grandfathers/grandmothers came from Ire in 1800's? I think i'm a contender. ;)

gab910 wrote:

Hi,

I just read your post about the assault and robbery. That makes me scared and concern about moving there. I am a single lady alone in my fifties. I am fleeing crime and oppression here in America. I don't want to jump from the frying pan into the fire -if you know what I mean. :nothappy:

Do you think someone like myself should chose Cuenca for a retirement location?

There are many your age and older retired in Cuenca, and the crime scene, especially the physical danger involved, seems over hyped.  If you have survived Pontiac Michigan, then Cuenca ought to be a breeze.  You can still collect your SS while living in Ecuador, just need to get more than $800/month to qualify for a perm res visa.  There is plenty of info on many threads here, but if you ask specific questions someone will steer you in the right direction.  Good Luck.

j600rr wrote:

"You guys are in over your heads. Did you see Neil mention he's Irish? An Irishman is never drunk, as long as he can hold onto a blade of grass, and not fall of the face of the earth."

Ahh, tis true. 10 drinks is a foine place.... ta start!
Cheers,
Neil

My people are from County Meath.

Is there Guinness in Cuenca?

We are from County Cork.
And yes, it's here.... but pretty spendy.
I swear, that pooch is getting better looking than you every day!
When you guy's coming down, and how's the garage project going? Don't hear much from you of late. Stay in touch.
Stay Well,
Neil

Thanks. After considering the condition that the US is in these days, I should be fine in Cuenca. However, there is something different when you are not on your home turf.

I hope to make Cuenca home. But, don't you think it is weird that the US Govt sight talked about contract killings? How often does that happen?

Are the locals that deprived that on the average they would take money to kill someone?

gab910 wrote:

Are the locals that deprived that on the average they would take money to kill someone?

No.

LeftClique wrote:

ZenSPIKE wrote:

We are from County Cork.
And yes, it's here.... but pretty spendy.

County Mayo on one side, Dublin on the other.

This is an article I read just yesterday, so it was fresh in my mind.

But by the following night, lobster bisque and chocolate truffles had given way to La Mariscal's promise of Jager bombs and chili cheese fries. I passed on those offers -- and lacked the funds for a $14 can of Guinness at Finn McCool's -- and iThe main square in Quitos Old Town.nstead made my way to Mama Clorinda, which serves the kind of homey Ecuadorean cooking I'd been seeking.

That's in La Mariscal, which I understand can be high-priced, but still ... fourteen bucks a can????

I have read that liquor import duties are ridiculously high, which has led to much smuggling.

Who but the Irishmen here would eventually start a conversation about who can drink the most, on a forum to do with Ecuadorian culture. Comical. I wonder if Ecuador immigration has a points system.

BobH wrote:
LeftClique wrote:

But by the following night, lobster bisque and chocolate truffles had given way to La Mariscal's promise of Jager bombs and chili cheese fries. I passed on those offers -- and lacked the funds for a $14 can of Guinness at Finn McCool's -- and iThe main square in Quitos Old Town.nstead made my way to Mama Clorinda, which serves the kind of homey Ecuadorean cooking I'd been seeking.

That's in La Mariscal, which I understand can be high-priced, but still ... fourteen bucks a can????

I have read that liquor import duties are ridiculously high, which has led to much smuggling.

Booze was wildly expensive in Quito and Cuenca. Seemed a bit cheaper on the coast.

And La Mariscal was the.most.expensive place we met anywhere in Ecuador. Partied there a couple of times, cost a fortune.

Mr. Gardener1 is a lifelong Jack Daniels man. He gave that up in Ecuador in less than a week, a bottle was $60 for a US fifth. We learned to love the many widely available and cheap rums that abound.

The two Ecuadoran made beers are tasty enough, Pilsener and I forgot the other one, very affordable at about a dollar. Your standard Heinekins or other imported beers were $3 or $4 in a shop and much more in a bar or cafe.

Everything in Ecuador that is imported from somewhere other than China or from outside latin America, is crazy expensive.

You go local in a hurry or go broke.

gardener1 wrote:

Mr. Gardener1 is a lifelong Jack Daniels man. He gave that up in Ecuador in less than a week, a bottle was $60 for a US fifth.

An article I read cited Johnny Walker Black at $80/bottle in Ecuador, $37 in Peru.

Guess what that leads to? Smuggling of course, which means that Peru gets the tax benefit of Ecuador's drinking.

You'd think that having a guy with a PhD in Economics as president would mean they wouldn't make that kind of mistake, but I guess not.

He got his degree in America.

Case closed.

gardener1 wrote:

He got his degree in America.

Case closed.

I'm glad to find this out, adding to entertainment budget. Perhaps a private label scotch brand, made in Scotland, and shipped into the country as paint remover, in barrels.

As a note of interest, Joe Kennedy made his money in scotch, tying up five years of production, just before prohibition ended.