USA Salary/Cost of Living VS Norway

Hi there,
  Im currently seeking work as a Sr Software Engineer/Developer in either Bergen and Kristiansand. 

I am trying to wrap my head around salary.  I currently work in NYC with a salary of $130k (yearly gross)

I want to match this in Norway.  Is that possible?  Should I request an even higher salary with a Norwegian Employer due to Norways cost of living?

Id like my family and I to be comfortable and experience much of Norway / Europe.

Yes well Norway is much costlier than the USA - in other words, you get less for your money, at Mcdonalds, when renting accommodation, transportation etc.

That said, then there are certain things that are reasonably priced in Norway too including Norwegian Air flights and the possibility buying discounted train fares if booked in advanced (They are called Mini pris).

Norwegians pay considerable less tax than in Denmark and Sweden, and Norwegian salaries are also higher - although you would need to work out all costs before you decide whether or not you will be able to save more in Norway or USA.

You write that you want to travel while in Norway, and then yes although is in the north of Europe, then you do have many budget airline flights flying across Europe and now also to Europe's neighbours including Turkey, Morocco which are popular and cheap to fly to these days ...in fact you can even fly to Dubai with Norwegian Air.

You might prefer Bergen over Kristiansand for the simple reason that it is located in the most scenic part of Norway - Western Norway ( with fjords and mountains).

You might want to have a look at this site: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … ted+States

It gives some idea of the price differences between the US and Norway. It looks pretty reasonable to me with regard to the Norwegian prices.

dmcart13 wrote:

You might want to have a look at this site: http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/co … ted+States

It gives some idea of the price differences between the US and Norway. It looks pretty reasonable to me with regard to the Norwegian prices.

Yes, Ive seen that, thank you.

Good morning to everyone. I'm a new member in this forum. Please, friends and well wishers who live in Norway can send me a message here or add me as a friend. I wish to inquire about living and working in Norway. I am a Nigerian resident in Malaysia and just completed my Msc degree in Electronics and wish to relocate. I desire to live and work in Norway with my wife who is also an Msc degree holder in Occupational Safety and Health Management. Pls, Can you suggest Cities or Universities that are affordable and not expensive for foreigners. I will love to live there on study grounds which I consider perfect for me considering my status as a student here in Malaysia (This is just my views, although I still welcome other suggestions). In addition, on average which city is more affordable and well suited for family with availability of jobs as well? I am more concerned with having a peaceful and decent life with jobs to keep the family going. This is my concern.

Thanks as I look forward to your advise and suggestions.

Regards

Chidiebere