Everyday living in Noumea

Hi all,
I'm considering taking a position working in Noumea, but the organisation aren't willing to pay much.
If I am living in Noumea with my wife (who will probably not be working to begin with) how much would we spend just to survive? Maybe per month with things like basic rent + utilities, food (self-catering not restaurants), not transport, just whatever it takes to live without disposable income.
Regards
cb

hi bille,

the obvious first answer would be lots, but of course everything is relative.  depends on what you consider to be a min.  rents rival Paris prices, and food is more expensive, along with pretty much everything else.

that said, the natural environment is stunning.  so if you are inclined to take advantage of what is more or less free in that respect (snorkeling, swimming, hiking) then living in noumea can be great.

check out a good blog for information on live here:

newcaledoniatoday.wordpress.com

Hi lehav

Thanks for your reply. I have been to New Caledonia twice already and I know how stunning it is and that it is a good quality of life, even if we don't have any profitable income; just enough to stay alive.
Do you have a figure, like an order of magnitude how much we would need? 1,000,000 CFP per month? Happy to stay at a very cheap motel or rent a 'cheap' appartement within walking/bus distance of Anse Vata (it is where the work is).
Thanks for the website referral.
Oh also, more of a cultural interest, if you go up North (we didn't do this on our trips) is it much more traditional Kanak life? What is it like up there?

Bille

Hii

I'm new also a caledonia, as a housewife normally I calculate the expenses
All is relative depend on the budget.
Housing/ appartement... Depend where, anse vata ,baie de citron, Val plaisance, Ngea is expensive,normally F2/F3 around more 150.000xpf / month, Trianon ,centre ville ,Fauborg blanchot, less expensive. Before I stay in Trianon for F3 appt 140.000xpf ( calme and clean, it's new appartement)
But if the appartement a bit old normally will be cheaper, my friend rent appt only 100.000xpf in Val plaisance,vale de colon around 135000/ month
For food is expensive, we spend around 150.000xpf for 2 adult and 1 toddler ( include diapers etc for toddler, and house need such use toilet paper etc...leader price supermarket is cheaper you can tried shop there)
Electric around 8000-12000xpf /month, water paid every 3 month around 8000xpf , and for the garbage paid every 3 month also around 7500-8000xpf... And we use 3G 4500 / month, if wifi maybe around 10.000xpf /month

I can say really expensive, but if you can manage the budget i' m sure you able to live here

PS. Noumea is more expensive then other area, you can tried Rent apptement outside noumea to get more reasonable price

Goodluck