Need advice regarding my job

Hi All,
I am from Pakistan; I just got the job in Riyadh Saudia Arabia. My employer is offering me 12,000 SAR inclusive of housing and transportation allowance. My job designation is System Analyst.
I want to move with my family (me, wife + s sons).
I want to ask is this salary enough for me if I live average life? Or not.
Can anybody tell me average monthly expenses in Riyadh Saudia Arabia?
Can anybody tell me how much average monthly amount I need in the following heads (please consider I am with my family).

S. No.    Heads    Amount
1    Housing                                            
2    Transportation   
3    Utilities   
4    Internet   
5    Mobile   
6    Entertainment   
7    Grocery   
8    Hoteling   
9    Clothes And Shoes   
10    Health And Medical   
11    Education   
12    Furniture   
13    Hair Cutting   
14    Car Installment   
15    Misc   
    Total   

Thanks in Advance.
Regards,
A.Rehman

Putting a list like this on a social forum... :/ Bad Idea!
No one on earth must have time to list down for you all possible things you could think of; esp for stuff like 'Grocery' or worse 'hair cut'.

Getting back to your question, you'll be hardly making ends meet. At least 15% approx will just be the schooling etc. Yes, you'll survive but won't be able to save anything.

1    Housing
Can be between 25,000-50,000 SAR per year if you are looking to live outside a compound. A compound will be difficult and can vary from between 75,000 SAR a year for a "semi-compound", to about 150,000-250,000 SAR for a fully fledged western style compound. These would be for "family" homes that your family would be able to live in. Depends on how you want to go, whether you want a western style home/neighbourhood or if you are comfortable living outside the walls.

2    Transportation   
Well public transport is next to non-existant so your transportation costs will be your car, petrol, insurance. A car, it depends very much what you are looking for. A small family car will set you back about 25,000-30,000 SAR for an almost new small compact car (second hand). An SUV, you are looking at a minimum of 50,000 SAR for a 7-8 year old SUV. Newer ones, you will probably be looking at 70,000 SAR. If you want Landcruisers, then look at something around about 175,000 SAR minimum.

General rule of thumb, Japanese cars tend to retain their value fairly well, especially their SUVs. Saloon cars depreciate rapidly. Second hand cars are probably best for a bargain, but be careful as there are a lot of bangers out there.

3    Utilities   
Utilities costs are almost next to nothing. On your salary, I wouldn't worry about it at all.

4    Internet   
Internet, you have a number of options:

STC - crap customer service, but their service can be good in certain areas. Prices are fairly cheap with a 20MB ADSL connection costing around about 300 SAR per month. THe speed you will receive though will be substantially less than 20MB in all probability.

Mobile Phone Companies - Many mobile phone companies are now beginning to offer 4G wireless routers/mifi dongles. In certain areas the service is extremely good, but as with all things in Saudi Arabia, companies have a tendency to allow services to be oversubscribed without making the necessary investment in the infrastructure to keep up with demand. Speed inevitably will slow. Costs are about comparable with STC landline costs, but you do have data limits, which makes it a lot less attractive if you are a heavy internet user.

5    Mobile   
Mobile costs, post-paid (contract) phones are a headache here, especially if you use STC. Mobily has slightly better customer service and good coverage. Zain, I think their coverage isn't as good as the others, but is improving. If you want a contract and for example want a new iPhone, it will cost about 300 SAR per month. This will include 500 free minutes, 500 free texts and unlimited data.

Prepaid costs, generally cheaper and less of a headache if you already have a phone you want to continue using. You pay for what you use and if you aren't a heavy user, it could be much more cost effective to have a pre-paid phone.

One thing to note, technically you won't be able to purchase any of these until you have an iqama. However, you work may provide you one as part of your employment.

6    Entertainment   
Well, in Riyadh, there is very little entertainment. There is quad biking, travelling, shopping. Pretty much it. If you go to parties etc, then entertain can be expensive. Embassy parties should you be lucky enough to get invited can cost between 200 SAR-400 SAR. US Embassy steak nights cost around 20 SAR, but you pay for food on top, plus it's extraordinarily hard to get invited on.

Eating out is a national past time apparently and can be fairly cheap. Mid-range restaurants can cost around about 200 SAR a meal for two people. You can find much cheaper or much more expensive places, but it's up to you what you want to eat.

Other than that, it is fairly cheap because there isn't much in the way of entertainment.

7    Grocery   
Grocery costs, again this depends on what you buy, how much you use and lifestyle. I generally spend between 300-500 SAR on a medium sized shop that will usually last me around about 2 weeks. Big shops can be between 600-1000 SAR.

Fresh vegetables and fruits are extremely cheap. Meat is fairly expensive at around about 30-60 SAR per kilo. Rice, for a 10kg bag, you are looking at around about 60-100 SAR depending on what brand/type you buy.

8    Hoteling   
Hotels in Riyadh are extremely expensive if you plan on using the better ones like the Hilton, Courtyard Marriott, Al Khozama/Al Faisaliah Hotels, Radisson Blu. There are cheaper ones around, although they are very hit and miss in terms of quality. The western hotels generally cost between 800-1,200 SAR per night. Not sure why you would need this if you are coming here to live...?

9    Clothes And Shoes   
Clothes and shoes depends on where you shop. If you buy big label brands from shopping malls, they are the same price as in the West. 600 SAR for a pair of trousers and around about 300-400 SAR for a shirt. You can buy non-branded items for cheaper from some of the larger supermarkets, or less well known brands in some of the shopping malls. Womens clothes, I have no clue as I've not bought much.

10    Health And Medical   
Healthcare here if you are paying by cash is expensive. Your employer should be offering you health insurance as part of your package. If not, then by way of comparison, maids have health insurance that can be purchased for around about 3,000-4,000 SAR per year. However, I don't know what level of coverage this would provide. Best to check with your employer for further information.

11    Education   
Western international schools are extremely expensive and places are very scarce. This can cost around about 45,000-65,000 SAR per year, per child. Pakistani International schools I am unsure of the cost, but they are probably significantly cheaper as there is much more of a demand and the economy has probably well catered for supply. Do a Google search on Pakistani International schools in Riyadh for further information.

12    Furniture   
Can be picked up fairly cheap depending on what you are looking for. If you go to the Baatha area, to their second hand furniture market, you can pick up a decent bedroom set for between 2,000-3,000 SAR. Sofas, depending on what you want can vary considerably. You can purchase these either from Baatha or from more western/established stores like IKEA for significantly increased costs. Saudi style sofa's, will probably cost between 1,000-2,000 SAR for a set, but these are very very uncomfortable. A western style sofa will cost between 6,000-15,000 SAR brand new for an average set. You can probably pick up a second hand western style sofa for much cheaper.

Other bits and pieces you can buy second hand for very cheap, or you can buy brand new. Not too much difference in cost between Saudi and the West.

13    Hair Cutting   
Between 20-50 SAR depending on the place you go. They can be significantly more expensive in some places, but the vast majority fall within that range.

14    Car Installment   
Depends very much on the type of car you want to buy. Second-hand, you'd need a loan from a bank. Some employers have deals with certain banks which you may want to exploit.

Brand new Land Cruiser SUV will cost about 250,000-350,000 SAR, spread over five years. I haven't bought a new car here (because you don't really need to with the wealth of second hand cars available). Can't really comment on specifics because there are far too many variables. Something for you to explore when you arrive and speak with the various dealers.

15    Misc
Not sure what this would cost.... a million SAR? :)

Ahem... see above :D

I have very little to do tonight, but I agree, there are some questions that are completely unanswerable.

Schooling costs though, western international schools are ridiculously expensive yes, but Pakistani ones? One would think they wouldn't be as expensive?

@ tonguetwister :up:

Here you can find the information you're interested in. It's pretty accurate.
http://www.numbeo.com/cost-of-living/ci … ity=Riyadh

Hi, Thanks all.
All of you giving me nice advice.
I am really very thankful to all of you specially @tonguetwister
you have given me very nice advice. Next step is i will calculate my cost after this i will reply to you guys as well as decide whether i have to accept this offer or not

Do not under any circumstances take this job, unless your Saudi employer ups your package.

Please refer to my other posts about men coming to work in Saudi.

As I have stated before, our world is becoming very expensive and Saudi employers "need to wake up to this fact".

If you have a family to support, and intend to come to the KSA on this salary, you will end up being caught up in a cycle of poverty. Though it may sound a lot, 12000SAR, you have to remember......

Transport - up to a 1000SAR per month for you and family,
Decent place for you and the family to live - 2-7000 per month. Food for the family - anything from 500-3000 per month.
Going out to eat, entertainment etc. 1000+ per month.
School fees and educational needs ++ Clothes for family + +.
They must pay for 100% medical including AND at least 2000SAR for Dentist, which should be inclusive of your medical.
Request a gym pass for you AND YOUR WIFE. It is really important she has some perks too, as life in the KSA for women are restricted with a total lack of facilities for women, unless you are a local. Even then it is restricted.

This wage is okay for your qualifications. However, in the west this is what you will earn a week or fortnight.

Ask your employer to pay your accommodation either in a compound or give you 3 months' salary equiv. DO NOT BACK DOWN ON THIS...SAUDI EMPLOYERS CAN PAY THIS. STAND VERY FIRM ABOUT THE ACCOMADATION.

The sooner you men from Pakistan, India and other neighboring countries stand up for your god given rights, then the cycle will be broken in exploiting you. It makes me weep to see thousands upon thousands caught up in a cycle of poverty, as most are trapped and they loose their life from being separated from loved ones, waking up one day and look in the mirror to an old man.

Allah put us on this earth to be in service to each other and NOT to exploit the other. If each person, stands up for their rights, their honor, their values then they will become a better person and pave the way for future employees coming into Saudi.
Now go and request what you and your family deserve.

If the employer saids NO..walk away as another door will open somewhere, sometime at the right moment.

Good luck.

dont tell him to buck the system. 

thats good pay for his passport.
saudi doesnt discriminate, this is the kingdom of humanity.

but really, dont push too hard for alot unless you are in a field where it is hard to get people.

Freshlikesushi wrote:

dont tell him to buck the system. 

thats good pay for his passport.
saudi doesnt discriminate, this is the kingdom of humanity.

but really, dont push too hard for alot unless you are in a field where it is hard to get people.

:dumbom:

It is alright for you, as you are, I assume from the States.

These men from India, Pakistan and neighboring countries need to start making a stand.

It is like the pioneer cutting through the forest to make a clearing…. and someone needs to start making a stand. If the Saudis were in the same position as these men, they too would eventually make a stand. It is NOT BUCKING THE SYSTEM..a system that does not pay them what they deserve.

It is fighting for what they deserve.

The education in these countries is excellant. If I had a choice to send my child to either an American or Indian school I would choose Indian, hands down. Their education / curriculum, like the Pakistani, surpass many western curriculums, including the American curriculum. That is a cold fact, which many people are unaware of. They then deserve excellant wages.

There are many highly educated Indians, Pakistanis, Bangladeshis who have worked extremely hard for their degrees and experience. They have every right to ask the same salary as those from western countries. It is their right. The day I see this in the KSA, the equality to them, is the day I will say it is a country of humanity. Can you imagine if a Saudi went to a western country and was paid a small amount, because of his passport? That is cruel and inhumane.

Saudi is a wealthy country and the employers can afford to pay.
So let's start seeing some humanity and equality.

Thanks suzan for your detail reply.

What would be the average salary i have to asked from my employeer to meet my and my family requirements.

What they are offering now, but you must ask for accomadation allowance, medical, etc. Don't come to KSA without them giving you accomadation. You will never save and get caught up in a cycle, which is just not worth it. You have one life; use it how Allah wants you to use it...wisely and carefully.

Sorry, I don't accept any contacts, so thanks for the request anyway. If you want to contact me, use this forum.

Good luck

http://careers.jobsataramco.eu/sa/saudi … alyst-jobs

go to UAE and stop complaining then
(not you, but people who are unhappy with current situation)
people know what they are getting into (hopefully) when coming to KSA.

go to another country for equality.

It is people who make up a country
It is people who come here to work
It is people who create change

For goodness sake you are an American, surely you learnt about Rosa Parks and the CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT?

For change to occur anywhere someone has to make a stand. And it is time to do that.

Saudi employers can afford to pay their employees and it is up to those coming into Saudi to stand firmly on their conditions. It is a disgrace what the majority are paid and the conditions they live in. Would you live in a room with no A.C? Would you live in a room with 4-10 men? Would you survive on 600-2000SAR a month? OUR WORLD HAS BECOME VERY EXPENSIVE – CHANGE HAS TO OCCUR.

Each human has a right to live comfortably, paid for their hard work and not to be exploited and caught in a cycle of poverty. We are not on this earth for this, but to help each other.

As Westerners say behind closed doors, "there is modern day slavery in the Gulf".

It hits us in the face and nearly every person turns their head the other way, not addressing this problem of how "the system runs". That makes us all guilty in supporting slavery.

It is time for change and for all these men to stand up against exploitation, instead of taking your advice.."Go to another country". By the way, the U.A.E. has shocking slavery there. Go for yourself and see.

If Saudis say they are a country of humanity then they will see "it is time for change" and do the right thing...inshallah.

suzan wrote:

The education in these countries is excellant. If I had a choice to send my child to either an American or Indian school I would choose Indian, hands down. Their education / curriculum, like the Pakistani, surpass many western curriculums, including the American curriculum. That is a cold fact, which many people are unaware of.

I would say their education/curriculum must be superior to NZ, as well, since you repeatedly misspell excellent and accommodation.

People in glass houses ...

suzan wrote:

It is people who make up a country
It is people who come here to work
It is people who create change

For goodness sake you are an American, surely you learnt about Rosa Parks and the CIVIL RIGHTS MOVEMENT?

For change to occur anywhere someone has to make a stand. And it is time to do that.

Saudi employers can afford to pay their employees and it is up to those coming into Saudi to stand firmly on their conditions. It is a disgrace what the majority are paid and the conditions they live in. Would you live in a room with no A.C? Would you live in a room with 4-10 men? Would you survive on 600-2000SAR a month? OUR WORLD HAS BECOME VERY EXPENSIVE – CHANGE HAS TO OCCUR.

Each human has a right to live comfortably, paid for their hard work and not to be exploited and caught in a cycle of poverty. We are not on this earth for this, but to help each other.

As Westerners say behind closed doors, "there is modern day slavery in the Gulf".

Wh
It hits us in the face and nearly every person turns their head the other way, not addressing this problem of how "the system runs". That makes us all guilty in supporting slavery.

It is time for change and for all these men to stand up against exploitation, instead of taking your advice.."Go to another country". By the way, the U.A.E. has shocking slavery there. Go for yourself and see.

If Saudis say they are a country of humanity then they will see "it is time for change" and do the right thing...inshallah.

What does god have to do with personal choice?

Too many errors.  I got a headache a few lines in.

They offering may 12,000 SAR (inclusive of housing and transportation)

Ask to see photos of the apartment. Ensure they are not placing you in hotel boutique style accommodation, like they do with many thousands of expats coming to KSA.

suzan wrote:

Ask to see photos of the apartment. Ensure they are not placing you in hotel boutique style accommodation, like they do with many thousands of expats coming to KSA.

And what shall he do, If he doesn't like the Pictures of the apartment ??

Request for another that is:
Away from a busy road (he has a family)
Clean and light
Furnished

He, like all over families has every right to live in a suitable apartment.

that which he can afford.

he may not be able to afford a house on a larger compound.

That's pretty good salary for family.

1    Housing                                             
    20000+ (for decent not very cheap ones)
2    Transportation    (depends if you have a car then fuel will cost around 3 riyals per 10 km or less, Overall not very expensive but can't say exactly how much it might cost you)
3    Utilities   
Around 500 max.
4    Internet   
      Depending on the speed, Maybe 300ish.
5    Mobile   
Depends how much you call.
Can cost from 100 to 1000
6    Entertainment   
      There is no entertainment here, Amusment parks can cost around 50 for whole family per visit to 50 per person.
7    Grocery   
Don't know.
8    Hoteling
      Cheap ones for 70, good ones from 300 onwards.   
9    Clothes And Shoes   
     Shirts for 50s (even less, depending on quality) , Pants for 50+, Shoes from 100 (for non branded, 200+ for branded (sports ones), other branded ones are usually more expensive.
10    Health And Medical   
       Don't know
11    Education
        Good schools will cost you around 10000 onwards.   
12    Furniture   
        Dont know excat but will bed room will cost around 4000+ (king bed, dresser and That desk with mirror (forgot the name)
13    Hair Cutting   
       10 normal, 25 for stylish ones.
14    Car Installment   
        Depends on car, Cars cost from 55000-200000 installments can be for 24 months or more, Costing around 120% of the price.
15    Misc   
        Umrah might cost 120 per person if you take bus, If you decide to go to bahrain it might cost you 200 for singles exit rentry and 55 per car and hotels can be around 200+, cinema ticket can be 30, Fast foods can be 20ish, restaurants can be around 50 per dish. Speeding fines are 300 and 500. If you want to know anything else feel free to ask.
    Total

speeding fines are now all 900 sar

ask me how i know