Need a good Real Estate Agent in Nicaragua...know any?

Hello Expat.com Members!

My wife and I are considering moving to Nicaragua to retire.  We currently reside in the USA.  Has anyone used a good Real Estate Agent in Nicaragua that they could recommend to us?  Preferrably from an established company like ReMax or Century21.

Thank you.

SpringAlot

At this time there is no licensing in Nicaragua so being an established name does not mean competence.

There are some reliable realtors you can trust.

San Juan del Sur  Pedro Resau and his wife Gabby
Leon     Jordan Clark
Managua Tura Murdock
Granada    Nancy Bergman, David Joyce, Carlos Gutierrez

Regards

Darrell

Thanx for the tip. Wife & I moving down to Granada by July 1st.   I was looking at Casa Granada Properties.   But I don't know anything about them.  Thanx again for the heads up.

Peeps,

I am always astonished that many (really: many!) people come down here without ever having visited Nicaragua, and the 1st thing to do is buy a house! Are you crazy?

Before buying anything, please rent 1 year - test out different locations (Leon is a very nice colonial city, but VERY hot in March/April, and the permanent Gigantona drumming and fireworks are not for everybody!). Living at the beach is probably nice - but you will have to drive to town for every little shit (supermarket, bank...) and need a car. The North is cooler, but has more fog and rain and much less expats.

It is up to you and it is your money - but I just met people who sold everything in the US (medium-size company, a house) to move here and now decided - after a few months - that they do not want to live here...

One reason may be that especially US citizens are used to buy and sell houses very quickly. This is not the case here. It may take months or years to resell your premises - especially when other people understand (much quicker thank you did) the inconveniences of your location...

Definitely  rent first. I live in Costa Rica. 8 years and I'm looking hard at Nicaragua not only to live but to invest. CR government  is losing  expats

Hello David,  my name is Josephine and my sister is looking for a reliable management company in Costa Rica to look after her condo.

Some have mismanaged the condo in the past by always removing new things for vacationers and replacing them with old ones in her condo, renting the condo and saying they did not rent etc etc.

So far she has bad experience owning a property in Costa Rica.

I am writing you because I am a member of this forum who is planning a relocation at the moment but not to Cosa Rica.

I would appreciate a reply from you

I use Discover in San Juan del Sur and I recommend SJDS for mostly young or surfer tourists as well as for the climate. Because of its location at the narrowest part of Nicaragua you almost always have a breeze. If you manage to get a hilltop home then you will have a view also
I have bought condos at Las Escadas at km138 and found that there HOA fees are very fair.  Look out for HOA fees. In the first comment by bush'Amy he is someone to be respected he lives in Granada and as far as expats goes he is one of the best authorities  But in SJDS I have found Discover had more listings and a more close relationship with me.  All property sales will or should go through a lawyer and Garcia Borden are very good in SJDS. Most people miss Las Escadas you should stop by.  One more thing SJDS has cruise ships 2 or 3 times a week but they usually get on a bus an hour visit the Flor de Cana distillery so it's not to crowded (this was before Covid). The ships are very nice to look while you are sitting at your favorite spot on the beach with your beer. Good luck take your time stay a while and look at your top choices often. Sometimes you can stay in one and really experience it

Hello. I do know 2 very  good  management agents here.honest and dependable. What are is the condo

I have condos at Las Escadas and the are being managed and rented by the developer.   I plan on buying more, maybe 3 in the next year because I have made a 30% profit when I sell one.  The are at km138.

In San Juan del Sur I use Discover and I own 3 condos at Las Escadaas .  Please visit them before you take the plunge.   I did have 4 condos but sold one for a quick profit.  Each city has it's pro's and con's if you have time stay in each city.

Hello David, the condo is in Pacifico. It is a resort and I think they call the area Coco.

I would appreciate your giving the names of these management companies having lived in Costa Rica for 8 years you should know some good companies.

Thank you

I'm selling a 3/2 upgraded home in wonderful  Sarchi. 1  1/2 hrs to beach.all amenities  within walking  distance.  Nice neighborhood. Safe. Asking $ 149.900 empty  or $ 160 k furnished. All appliances  and furniture  6 month's  new. I just sold my mountain  home last month. Let me know  what  your looking  for and amount  to pay and I will  see what I can  come up with. Thanks

Hi David,
I don't know any good Real State agent, but I am selling my house in Nicaragua in case you might be interested in it. Check it out.
https://www.expat.com/en/housing/centra … ndiri.html

I have been  talking with  a lawyer  that owns  many properties  in the del sur area.nice home though. Goodluck

Hola David
If you are going to San Juan del Sur then I would use Discover
And please give Las Escadas at km138 a look. They have the lowest HOA fees and they may have a condo for sale. I live there and love it

I have found that Costa Rica has a reputation for cheating non Costa Rican's

If I were you I would move to Nicaragua
I have a friend who lives in Nicaragua and he was living in CR for 8 years and never was invited to a Costa Rican's home. Now since I have been in Nicaragua my wife and I have been guest at many family celebrations in Nicaragua. Costa Rican's love to rip off expats  In 1960 I worked on a tuna boat and we spent a month in Puentarenis  and even then we heard about selling the same property to 3 different people   Most people who move to Nicaragua from CR are glad they did

I gotta laugh. The money grab towards  gringos is world wide even advancing  countries. Many speak with  fork tongue and here in CR the attitude  is ,your just visitors and its thier country. Still for me its better  than  the good ole USA

I have just reread your post.  I also hear bad things about lawyers.  In Nicaragua I use a firm with offices in all the CA countries.  But I do hear stories about single practice (one office) lawyers registering your property in their name.  If you can find an expat with prior experience  then go by their advice.  But it is always better to live there for 6 months or more.  I still prefer Nicaragua..

Here is information that you will not find on the internet.

In 2021, in Costa Rica, it is possible to find cultivable and constructible land that is 5 hectares and costs 44,000 USD and is negotiable. A friend of mine even found a piece of land in Costa Rica that is 42 hectares, with mango trees and two houses, a river, and cost 30,000 USD.

In 2021, it is possible to find land even cheaper in Nicaragua.

In 2021, it is possible to find land in Panama that is even cheaper than those in Nicaragua.

In 2021, land in Guatemala is more expensive than land in Nicaragua, Costa Rica, Panama.

In 2021, in Paraguay, there is building land that is 10 hectares and costs 25,000 USD.

In 2021, in Bolivia, there is building land costing between 3,000 and 6,000 USD per hectare.

I give you this information because
- there are expats who ignore them (for example those who get ripped off)
- there are expats who know them but never pass this information on to other expats or pass on false real estate information to other expats (for example those who get rich by defrauding other expats)

Do you know the cost of the verification, by a foreign individual or, if this is not possible, by a lawyer or / and a Nicaraguan notary, that the seller of land located in Nicaragua is indeed its sole owner? ?

I ask myself this question because if this cost is high then the cost of finding a plot of land where the seller is its sole owner can be enormous since this problem arises for 7 to 8 plots out of 10.

@PatrickLeclerc
Some lawyers charge anywhere from $20 upwards.  You are best inspecting the registry documents yourself and not trusting any lawyer.  They need the money today not your repeat business.

Make sure the registry goes back over 100 years.

Avoid any property that mentions supplementary title or reforma agraria.

Also  on your "map" it will have a catastral number.  If it says N/C it's non catastral and there's probably another owner.