A move to PR

Hello:

I've read alot of both positive and negative advice about relocating to the island paradise. Does anyone have any advice about the reality of this dream? To move to the Rincon area, get a job working in a small tourist shop (souvenier), renting a small 1 bedroom apt, and living a simple uncomplicated life. Do you think it's doable and how much do you think the cost of living would be for a dream like that?

Thanks,
Char1715

Hi Char, first of all the good news: you are in the USA and things are pretty similar to life and standards of living in a small costal, beach town in anywhere USA only better ;-)
the bad news is that the economy is just as bad as everywhere else.  I'm not too familiar with the COL in RIncon but I do know that this is the season to be here: winter birds, tourists, surfers, etc. the place is jumping.  can you come down for the season to give it a try?? there are great short term rentals in the area and i am sure an english speaking clerk would be a great help even in a Walgreens, Dunkin Donuts or Marshalls  in the area(we have tons of those.) if you are looking for a nice warm winter, then this is the place.  AND it's USA!!!!  that's the best part!!
Suerte!!

Hi:

Thanks for the reply. I'll be working on a visit but not for a few months yet. I'm thinking more about next fall to make the move and I'm definitely interested in either Rincon or maybe Viequez. After 17 years at my present job, it would sure be wonderful to have a stress free job where all I have to do is stock shelves and help customers. That's why I'm thinking that a tourist shop would be great! I still have loose ends here like selling my house, my car, and most of my belongings. I want a laid back life. I have simple and uncomplicated needs. Does that sould crazy?

char1715

char1715 wrote:

I want a laid back life. I have simple and uncomplicated needs. Does that sound crazy?

Nope, that sounds like what many people want. :)

There could be one problem: money.

You would make $ 7.25 per hour working in a shop. Let's assume you would get really lucky and get 40 hours per week (that will mean multiple jobs because normally you'd start as a part timer with 10-15 hours per week. Add stress to get the different jobs organized so you can work when they want you to..). That adds up to $ 290/week. Minus taxes you'd have 250 dollars.

A very cheap place to live would set you back around 500 dollars per month. With a little luck electricity and water is included, if not $ 100 - $ 150 is a realistic amount. That leaves $ 350 for food, medical insurance, transport, clothing, fun. You might qualify for the almost free medical plan paid by the PR government and food stamps. Still you wouldn't have a lot to spend and live (like many locals here) below the poverty level.

If you can handle that and still be laid back, wonderful...

Hi There Char

Our two friends have given realistic facts about living here. I don't know if you are fluent in Spanish ... but if you're not try to consider to at least know basic phrases.  I have many friends and clients that do well here even with the language barrier. If you want to earn more $$$$ , you have to be creative and maybe think of a plan once you settle here in the western part of the island.  You might have a talent or a hidden talent , a skill that you can develop into a business.  This is a wonderful place to live, but you need to think of ways to earn a descent income and do well.

I rent furnished houses and apartments mainly for people who relocate from the states or from other countries. And I advise them to start networking through social sites. This will help you make contacts and open opportunities before you arrive.  Once your here, you already have a group of friends and business contacts.

Best thing an expat should do... order business or personal cards with your name, tel number and email. If you don't have a business or service to offer. Just print " Let's keep in touch". Every time you go some where .. be friendly .Socialize, give 'em a card  and you're on your way to building more possibilities in making it happen in PR.

Good luck
See you soon
In Tropical Paradise
:)