English speaking expats in Noumea

Hi,
I wonder if there is an english expats community in Noumea.
It could be interested to meet up, what do you think?
All the best!
Seb

Hello Seb.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Maybe you can tell us more about yourself.

Thank you,
Aurélie

I sure can Aurélie ;-)
In terms of expat experience well I have been an expat four times so far with three years spent in England in London, another four years in Czech Republic in Prague, this year I was in Canada, I mean Québec sorry, in Montréal and here I am now in Nouméa! I am curious to find out more about the expats community!

Hi Sebastian, I am also new maybe we can catch up, my phone 72.37.20 Thanks

hi, i came here 1 year ago...
i don't know if there is an community here but i would like to catch up too :)

Hi Seb

There are a lot of english speaking ex-pats here, australians (me), irish, kiwis and lots of canadians (including Quebcoise).  Most of our group are in their 40's/50's so probably a bit old for you.  Whilst I know of a lot of others I haven't actually found that they mix, probably because most have french partners and tend to mix in french speaking circles. There is the English Club  which has both french and english speakers and they organise events, but once again whilst we have a few in their 20's and 30's the age group is generally over 40's but if you are interested I can give you a contact name. 

Cheers

Jo

Hi I would love to get the contact info for the english events.. I am somewhat new to living here, but have been visiting since I was a child. Of course being an expat is always interesting and connecting with other expats is always fun. I also just opened an acupuncture office and would love to be able to connect with people who are looking for acupuncture services in English as well!
Just another beautiful day in Noumea!! :)

The contact person for the English Club is Carol Moulin, her phone number is 753486.  There is coffee at the Coffee Club, BDC every Thursday at 11:00am, whilst mostly female there are a couple of husbands who tag along.  Anyone is welcome, sometimes there are 5 sometimes 20 who turn up, just listen for the different English accents and you will find them or ask the staff, they will point us out.

Hi,
I am also arriving in Noumea and my son is 5yrs old and we would like to meet other english speaking families so he can keep practising.
Any connections here?
Syl

Hi

I know of a couple of families with children, not sure about the age.  There is a school here "James Cook" that a lot of expats (and french) go to as they speak English and French. Maybe if you contact them they might be able to put you in touch with some others.  Do you know anyone in New Caledonia, if not I would be happy to meet you for coffee and answer any questions and introduce you to some friends (french & english speaking) or as I said there is coffee every Thursday at Coffee Club. My french is not great but have been here for 2.5 years now so can tell you where a lot of things are.
Cheers

Jo

Hey everyone,
I've arrived in New Cal 3 weeks ago. I travelled a lot as a kid but have been in Australia for 6 years, which I consider home now! I'm keen to meet people and keep speaking English, if anyone is free for coffee let me know :)
Cheers,
Flore

Hi Folks
Fresh off the boat 5days ago from Brisbane and looking to link up with the english expat community.;)
Have a 2yr old boy and looking for playdates, activity partners (love to run) a good conversation and coffee.

Hi, there is a playgroup each Wednesday, I think it is still happening at Anse Vata.  I will ask around and see if I can give you details.  I will be at L'etrave this pm around 4:30 (a group of us meet for drinks) if you want to come and say hello, maybe some of the others might know more about the playgroup.  We are easy to spot as mostly english is spoken.

Cheers

Jo

Hi everybody,

Another newbie here :)

Just moved to Noumea, I'm South African btw, and still in the process of settling in. Been here for abt 6 wks.
Can anyone tell me how big the English speaking community is in Noumea?

Thinking of swinging by the Coffee Club tomorrow. Will I meet any of you there?

AfroPrincess, I have a 2yr old boy too... Wink, wink- nudge, nudge ;)

Cheers,
Roberta

Hi

Newbie here....

Not really 20 months here ...busy with baby...Really want join for a coffe at coffe club...

Hope soon...but almost every first and second week, every thursday I go to ateliers enfants et parents...

Just information : Theres a free playgroup ages 0-3ans in ecole tulipe Fauborg blanchot every Friday 8-11.30 .... Maybe you have children also want to communicate with other parents Or learn French by listening ( that's what I did ...learn French while play with my toddler)

Desperate want to improve my English again.... I don't loose it...

Cheers

Hello,

I am brand new here 8 weeks  in New Caledonia . I have two kids ages 5 and 3 .  I am bilingual , thanks goodness I speak both English and French. Well English is my first language . I will like to meet some  English speaking people , especially moms like me so that we can converse in English and share of new experiences in New Caledonia .  Inbox me lets fix a date and meet up  [email protected]

cheers

Hi there,
There'is a very interesting English community here ! all age too!
We moved to New Caledonia 6 year ago, we're French, but my husband was born in Cameroon, our 6 years old son was born in South Africa and our 4 year old daughter in Nouméa. I went to college in Texas and learned English there. I joined the English club 2 years ago in order to keep talking in English, but unfortunately, I am not practicing a lot....

Hi  Claire, nice reading from you . I am a Cameroonian born too. My husband is a Belgian , we moved here couple of months ago . We lived in Paris before and I was an English teacher . We moved here due to my husbands job.  We ve been traveling a lot due to my husbands job. I lived in St Petersburg before that was where I obtained some of my degrees , we ve lived in Belgium and other countries too. We find New Caledonia very interesting with wonderful climate etc . But I am like in the middle of no where starting life all over again . We have two kids 5 and 3 year old . Call me Claire let's talk abit and why not fix a date too . My number is 819500.   

Cheers anna

Hey, just found out about Expats, definitely love to meet everyone and join in any local events.

I moved here about 3 years ago with my ex fiancee, built a life and learnt french from working, only recently after the separation realized I work too much and need to socialize more, so here I am.

Love a good laugh but I'm a bit on the shy side at first...   

Excited to have an invite to the next event, missing AUS so catching up with like minded people will be awesome.

Hey everyone!
I'm half American - half Belgian, and I just arrived in Noumea! I don't know anyone here and would love to meet fellow expats :) Do you guys know of any meetings or activities that I could join in to meet new people? It's a beautiful country but it's always more fun to discover it with other people!
Thanks for the help!
Alizé

Hello Alize,

Check out my friend Julie's blog : http:// newcaledoniatoday.wordpress.com   

I'm not too sure if there is an American "group" but there are a few of us around.  You can contact Julie via the blog.  She's a great source of information.

Good luck:)
Tracey

b

Hey Tracey,

Thanks for the tip, I already contacted Julie who's given me a few insights and we'll try to meet up. You're welcome to join us!
If any of you are up for it, it'd be nice to meet up somewhere over coffee or for a drink so I can hear about your experience here in New Caledonia!

Alizé

Sure thing.  I will be around from 25 Dec thru Jan.  Happy to schedule a holiday cocktail at our house :)

Hey Tracey,
That sounds really nice, I'll be alone for the holidays so more than happy to join you for a holiday drink!
Alizé

Hi!
Did I miss the cocktails :-)?
Just kidding, but I'd like to meet people too. Maybe to have a coffee together and just chat about our experiences in Nouméa or elsewhere. I'm Dutch, living together with a frenchman (I speak both French and English). He lived here before and still has some friends from that time, who are all quite a bit older than I am (32).
I'm a biomedical engineer and work part time from home (Vallée des Colons) for a London NGO with projects in Africa; which is great. Now I need a reason to get out of that house! I joined CTNC for trialthlon-ing and I play tennis at Receiving, but trainings will start in February. I also like yoga, photography, reading, knitting (maybe Nouméa doesn't know it yet, but knitting is cool), hiking, diving and horses.

Look forward to hearing from you and thanks for your help.

My name is Nathalie. I am French. We also came here for my husband's work. We have 3 kids aged 7, 11, and 13 (2 boys and 1 girl). I often participate to the Thursday's english meeting at the Coffee Club at "Baie des Citrons". Moreover you were asking for some activities, there is an arts&craft meeting organized every Tuesday morning at someone's place (it's changing every week). You can sew, knit, paint (aquarelles, sand paintings), crochet, ... Those are just examples of some activities, you can do whatever you want ! Just bring your own stuff.
This is an english and french speaking group composed of ladies coming from Canada, United States, Bosnia, and France. For the moment there is not, because of that period of feasts. It should start again next week or the week after.
If you are interested in joining in, I could introduce you. Just let me know !

Hi Anna,
The english group meets every Thursday morning at 11am at the Coffee Club (baie des citrons). You will meet ladies from all ages coming from Canada, the United States, Bosnia, France, New Zealand... and also from the Netherlands.
See you soon !
Nathalie

perfect!! I'll be there this Thursday. And yes, I'd like to join the arts&crafts club too :-).
Cool, thanks Nathalie

Hi everyone,
I'll try to come to the 11 am meeting at the coffee club this Thursday. See you there!
And happy new year!
Alizé

Great ! See you girls on Thursday morning ...
Nathalie

Hi Guys,
Im going to come next week too! :)

I am interested as well if you could please introduce me that would be great.
But not for the arts and crafts, just for the basic meet ups :)
Thank you!

Hi everybody !
I'm in New Caledonia for 3 months now and would love to meet english speakers as I really want to improve my english. The idea is also to have english playmates for my 3 years old boy (He doesn't speak english for the moment). I'm living in Hienghene (and can allocate some peole if you want to visit this beautiful place) but will come sometimes in Noumea. Let's meet ! Delphine