Retiring in Bermuda

Dear Bermuda ex-pats,
I'd love (I think) to retire in Bermuda.Have any of you done this? Are there facilities for retirees--maybe senior housing w/ no stairs, etc?
I should say I DO NOT have a lot of $.Right now I'm paying just over $1,000 a month for a very large 1 bedroom apartment with lots of windows, and beautiful grounds, in a community with lots of good supermarkets(Whole Foods, Trader Joes).I love it here, but if the Republicans win this year, I'm gone. And my family spent Easter vacations in Bermuda, when I was a girl.It's wonderful there!And not so far away from USA.

I would very much love to hear from you guys to tell me if this is a good idea for a senior, before I start looking at apartments.
Thank you so much in advance!
Joan

Hi Joan!

Welcome to Expat.com!

Armand

You can't retire in Bermuda, unless you're Bermudian...simple as that, unfortunately.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but you need to look elsewhere.  There are many Caribbean islands and countries in the Gulf of Mexico that are offering incentives to attract retirees from other countries, but the big question always will be:  "What will I do about healthcare?"

I havent had time to come here til now.I'm very happy to tell you that since we re-elected President Barack Obama, I'll have no need to expatriate~~:>)
Bermuda is beautiful, I hope you all enjoy it.But early on, I realized my father fought in WW2, making USA even more my country.I will not be driven out!
So I stayed and campaigned harder for PBO.

Thanks to all who offered advice ,especially Guitarman. (No, I would NOT go w/out my SS, and Medicare!) In Panama we may continue to collect them,as in Mexico, maybe Canada.

One last suggestion, with only good intent.Sandy was the storm of the century, and as one pundit said :"Get ready to have them every other year"
Parts of NYC are still w/out power.Bermuda is a tiny island.If I moved there,I'd buy a generator.

Best, and Goodbye,Joan

Since PBO's re-election, will be moving to Bermuda.  No need to respond. I only stated this since your statement should not have been brought up in your e-mail.

Why would you have to move if republicans won?  Makes no sense.

Been there on holiday, one of the best places i have ever visited. The challenge for those looking for a haven in retirement (Heathcare expenses)