Shopping for clothing

We were in Cuenca last July. And we plan to move there sometime.   It was difficult to find nice women's clothing for my wife's extra large size.  The mercados all had slender sizes and the shops all had fancy, dressy clothing.  Is there a shop that has selections more like what we find in the US in Macy's or JC Penny's?

This is a real problem here. American sizes like XL and up or big shoes are really dificult to find.
Some people/ small bussines bring american clothes fron the States but for selling to the locals.
The best you can do is bring all your clothes from the US, you can find the right size and is cheaper than in Ecuador.

Vinny

Thanks, Vinny.  We plan to return for a month in August and will bring both warm and cool cloths.

You welcome,

If you need any other help let me know. And if you planning to visit Cuenca we can meet.

Vinny

No there is not.

Hello Expats: 

My name is Diane and i will be moving to Ecuador in July.  On the subject of purchasing large size clothing for women, I have a question to ask. 

Are there fabric stores in Ecuador where women could purchase cloth and patterns.  Then sew her own size of clothing.  I know this cannot be done for jeans or coats, but it can be an option; if Ecuador has sewing machines for sale and fabric stores.

If anyone knows the answer to these questions, I would like to know.

Thanks to all for a wonderful site here on Epat Blog.
Diane

There are indeed fabric stores in the cities in Ecuador.  Sewing machines are also available but possibly expensive.  There are also many seamstresses who have their own stores and machines.  I bet if you ask nicely and pay a small fee, theyŽll let you use their machines.

Better still, ask one of the locals to make your clothes for you. I imagine they would be of very good quality and quite inexpensive.

I thank you all for your responses.  I sew myself and if there are fabric stores, I may purchase a portable sewing machine to include with my shipment.

Thank you.

I take a size 13EE shoe and 2XL shirts & jackets I guess I should load up prior to the move!

BigEd49