Buying property in Congo

Hi,

can a foreigner buy property in Congo?

If so, is it complicated? What is the process of purchasing a property in Congo?

Any tips for buying property, such as a check-list of items to verify ?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Christine

Hello Christine,

Yes you can buy property here in congo, local people even like when foreigners do that. because they think foreigners are more reliable than the country men and also think that they have a lot of money to spend.

so before buying a property, you should contact  trustworthy local person who will discuss directly with the owner. if the owner notice that you are a foreigner white or black, the price can be doubled or increased. this is Congolese mentality.

and also, the property you want to buy, you have to first check if there is no law problems with the place, and that the owner has notarised document to show that he is the real owner.

I hope this will help you

Ruth

Hello Ruth and welcome to Expat.com!

Thanks for your contribution.;)

Harmonie.

Hi ruth,

Merci beaucoup for this important info, I have completed all this, however I think the trustworthy local is not so trustworthy after all, he is refusing to give me the original of the document, since I am unable to speak fluent french, the owners are unable to understand me? Do I not have to register the property with legal authorities, like in our country we do this at a deeds office? coz I suspect I have just been ripped of my monies?

Kind regards
Surayah

Many thanks again

(moderated: off topic + Expat.com is not a dating website)

Hello Christine,

Here buying property is a big advantage for a foreigner,for getting visa.......and buying is not a tough task,its very simple has he/she can do at their native places.......but as mentioned above,one has to be very careful while buying the property,whether it has any legal problem about that land.......some time you buy the land and you will find 3 to 4 owners will come and claim that property.........so before buying take the photocopy of the documents of that land and verify it in the registery office where they registered the land.......and find out any dispute is there or not.......and then make the deal .......always buy the land which is already sold once to avoid the problems.........

Regards,
Anil

Hi Anil,

Thank you for your input  :D

Priscilla