Buying property in Liberia

Hi,

can a foreigner buy property in Liberia?

If so, is it complicated? What is the process of purchasing a property in Liberia?

Any tips for buying property, such as a check-list of items to verify ?

Thanks in advance for participating!

Christine

Only Liberians can buy property in Liberia, you can only lease.

Thank you for this info Libgirlmovingtobern! :)

Glad to know that you are discussing this topic. I want to buy an apartment in Monrovia, possibly under a name of a Liberian citizen. However, when I couldnt find the price for it.

I saw some picture of Luxury Apartment in Sinkor, Monrovia but it doesnt indicate prices. Can you please tell me the approximate price of an Apartment about 800 sqft. ( 2 bedroom/ Living room/Kitchen).

How hard is it for African Americans to gain Liberian citizenship and purchase land? Anyone have an idea? Are there any helpful listings for property sales?

Thanks

tlcafrica.com/real_estate.htm

[Moderated: Please post in the housing section]

be careful about purchasing land in Liberia.  because the records were destroyed, there are people selling land four times over.  You can read one such story here frontpageafricaonline.com/politics/42-politics/5949-liberias-next-big-war-land-grab-linge

Yes, a foreigner can buy a property in Liberia. I a lot of foreigners here in Liberia that bought properties while some of them lease. You can equally buy a land if you want to.

The processo f buying land is complicated and land fraud is rampant.  Foreigners cannot own land except naturalized citizens.  The Liberian constitution prohibits whites from owning land or becoming citizens (quite sad!)

"Article 27 (b) of the 1986 Constitution of the Republic of Liberia states that: “In order to preserve, foster and maintain the positive Liberian culture, values and character, only persons who are Negroes or of Negro descent shall qualify by birth or by naturalization to be citizens of Liberia.” With respect to the ownership of real property (i.e, land, immovable infrastructural capital like buildings, etc), Article 22 (a) of Liberia's 1986 Constitution further states that “Every person shall have the right to own property alone as well as in association with others, provided that only Liberian citizens shall have the right to own real property within the Republic.” Article 22 (c and d) makes exceptions for non citizen missionary, educational, benevolent institutions, and foreign diplomatic missions, which may temporarily own real property as long as such property is used for the purpose(s) for which acquired. With this exception, the gist of Article 27 (a) and Article 22 (b) is that for the preservation of Liberian culture, only Negroes (or descendants of Negroes) can become Liberian citizens; and only citizens (who can only be Negroes and/or their descendants) can own real property.

Do you know of foreigners doing business in Liberia?

Stu

Foreigners cannot own land in Liberia.  Period.  Many buy land using a Liberian person as a front and then they lease the land for about  20 years or so.   There are so many people buying and selling and reselling the land that the land registry is now in a mess.  tax.thomsonreuters.com/blog/aumentum/a-new-beginning-for-liberias-land-legacy-2/

csmonitor.com/World/Africa/2010/0130/Africa-s-continental-divide-land-disputes

The first Constitution  Article V, section 2 states:  No person shall be entitled to hold real estate property in the Republic, unless he be a citizen of the same."  it also states that "no persons shall hold land or lots unless he resides in the settlement... and that no white person shall ever hold land in the colony."

Here is the new 1986 constitution : "Article 22

Every person shall have the right to own property alone as well as in association with others; provided that only Liberian citizens shall have the right to own real property within the Republic.

CITIZENSHIP
Article 27   a)

All persons who, on the coming into force of this Constitution were lawfully citizens of Liberia shall continue to be Liberian citizens.
In order to preserve, foster and maintain the positive Liberian culture, values and character, only persons who are Negroes or of Negro descent shall qualify by birth or by naturalization to be citizens of Liberia.

Yes, we have a very racist clause that only people of "Negro" descent can become citizens or own land in Liberia.  Read this article to see.   Many of our senators and now the Liberian council of churches have said they are against dual citizenship.  Imagine in this day and age.

Liberia: A Response to White Citizenship, the World is Changing Rapidly and Liberia Must Keep Pace with the Change

thenewdispensation.com/2012/10/25/liberia-a-response-to-white-citizenship-the-world-is-changing-rapidly-and-liberia-must-keep-pace-with-the-change/

You can inbox me , As I am not Liberian but I do business in Liberia and also own a non profit organization with a few school. I focus on sending a few cars a year and own a local bar in Monrovia, Liberia is a small state where any dream on business can come true but you need the right network. and take control of investigation on any property that you interested in ....

I understand your idea of change but honesty be told.
if the rest of the world had the key to buy land in Liberia at the cheap rate in compare to other countries,
this will mean that a normal working Liberia will not be able to afford high price. and the economy is safe to help them rebuild the lost of everything, them need time to get together and when there are ready , we all will go and be a part of the change,,,,visit any other Africa city and buy land .... Liberia has its law ..Point

they is no normal reason why a America will leave his or her USA citizenship for Liberia citizenship...what do you seek so bad  that Liberia has to offer, course I am sure to remain USA but keep a clean documentation to work, live and studies in Liberia,,Be smart and create..I have a few house in Liberia on the same property in needed advise contact me ,,,by the way I am not Liberia ....

Yes, I am a foreign doing business in Liberia , its a good market and easy to operate any kind of business
I have 3 different operations there and it was a great move for myself

I am a British citizen and own a property  (5 bedroom house near coco beach) in Accra, Ghana, even I do not live there. In Ghana foreigners can own a property just like Ghanaians can.

Hi, how long in general would it take to sell a property in Sinkor?

I am a U.S citizen but was born in Africa. I want to start a business in Africa. Possibly an appartment complex. How much will I have to put down to get this started in U.S. dollars. Any response will be nice. Thank you.

Hi

I am not sure how most African nations handle buying those type of buildings or building them from the ground. As they is alot of regulations to understand any where. But South Africa will be a place to look for those type of deals. Banks can aid you on a loan if you are able to come up with the major part of amount. I seek a similar route.***

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : no free ads + do not post your personal contact details on a public forum for your own security

Hey gays
I will travel to liberian monrovia in november 2017. The trip will use to see my homeland, to revisit my homeland and to explore. I am very interested to buy land. Can anyone find me in the search info / potential land salesman / everything useful to find my dreamland. Please only serious answer

Greatings
Mim

What if a white woman that is foreigner marries a Liberian man and they decide to reside in Liberia? Can she receive a dual citizenship then?

No.

Hi to every one,
this is dennis mulbah of demson consultancy. l will like to say to every one that wants to go to Liberia and live there or buy property or even do business,been it a Liberian,a foreigner or Caucasian.  if you are from the united states of America,please contact the Liberian embassy in DC or look up the (Liberian constitution at article 23/28 of 1986.) for all of your questions about these issues. this will prevent you from getting misinformation from other people who also got theirs  from others. this is the right way to get the correct answers to your questions. but if you still have dough,  you can contact me.it is good though to discuss this issue,l am afraid that  you  may  not get all of the  answers to your questions. 

the constitution of Liberia,protects every one that live there.but it has it's prerequisites and it say's Any person, at least one of whose parents was a citizen of Liberia at the time of the Person's birth, shall be a citizen of Liberia; provided that any such person shall upon reaching maturity renounce any other citizenship acquired by virtue of one parent being a citizen of another country. No citizen of the Republic shall be deprived of citizenship or nationality except as provided by law; and no person shall be denied the right to change citizenship or nationality.

Every person shall have the right to own property alone as well as in association with others; provided that only Liberian citizens shall have the right to own real property within the Republic.

The property which a person possesses at the time of marriage or which may afterwards be acquired as a result of one's own labors shall not be held for or otherwise applied to the liquidation of the debts or other obligations of the spouse, whether contracted before or after marriage; nor shall the property which by law is to be secured to a man or a woman be alienated or be controlled by that person's spouse save by free and voluntary consent.

hope  your question have been answer with this little clarification.but you always contact your nearest by embassy.

thank. dennis

Thank you.

Thank you Dennis.

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : no free ads please

Thank you Dennis! I will know more of our plans in a couple of months. We have a lot of decisions to make.

What about those who marry Liberian girl / woman ?

I have property that I own in Liberia that I'm selling,  I'm currently basing in the us,  its 4acres with 4bed nd bathroom house which I started building 2015.  What left to be done is the finishing touches such as tiles, painting, and little bit of plumbing.  The place is located in Robertfield highway liberia.

I have property that I own in Liberia that I'm selling,  I'm currently basing in the us,  its 4acres with 4bed nd bathroom house which I started building 2015.  What left to be done is the finishing touches such as tiles, painting, and little bit of plumbing.  The place is located in Robertfield highway liberia.

Hi , please sent me your contact email for further on the sale of your house.

my email is ***

l look forward to hearing from you.

thanks dennis

Moderated by Priscilla 5 years ago
Reason : do not post your personal contact details on the forum for your own security

*** thanks for ur interest in my property,  Im to share with u what ever information u may need concerning the property.

What info u may need?

If u are in liberia send me ur liberian number and I will call u to discussed better

Hi;

Anyone can buy a property in Liberia. this country is a free land of Liberty. but you have to be careful with the person you are buying a property from. There are a lot of criminals in and around monrovia defrauding people of their money. The price of a property or land may vary depending on location. But i think the lowest price of a 1 lot of land now in Liberia is about $1,500.00usd.

Manju

hi;

Apartment prices are different base on the type of apartment and services rendered. but you can get a furnished apart from 500-3500usd monthly around the sinkor area.